The characteristics of guided modes in the planar waveguides which the core or cladding consists of chiral nihility meta-materials are studied theoretically. The dispersion curves, electromagnetic fields, energy flow distribution and the power of several low-order guided modes in the chiral nihility waveguides are presented. Some novel features such as anomalous dispersion curves, the power flows opposite to the wave vector propagation direction in the chiral nihility waveguides have been found.
2. Shadrivov, I. V., A. A. Sukhorukov, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Guided modes in negative-refractive-index waveguides," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 67, 057602, 2003.
3. Cory, H. and A. Barger, "Surface-wave propagation along a metamaterial slab," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 5, 392-395, 2003.
4. Wu, B. I., T. M. Grzegorczyk, Y. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Guided modes with imaginary transverse wave number in a slab waveguide with negative permittivity and permeability," J. Appl. Phy., Vol. 93, No. 11, 9386-9388, 2003.
5. Tsakmakidis, K. L., C. Hermann, A. Klaedtke, C. Jamois, and O. Hess, "Surface plasmon polaritons in generalized slab heterostructures with negative permittivity and permeability," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, 085104, 2006.
6. Wang, Z. J. and J. Dong, "Analysis of guided modes in asymmetric left-handed slab waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 62, 203-215, 2006.
7. Mahmoud, S. F. and A. J. Viitanen, "Surface wave character on a slab of metamaterial with negative permittivity and permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 51, 127-137, 2005.
8. Li, C., Q. Sui, and F. Li, "Complex guided wave solution of grounded dielectric slab made of metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 51, 187-195, 2005.
9. Shu, W. and J. M. Song, "Complete mode spectrum of a grounded Complete mode spectrum of a grounded," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 65, 103-123, 2006.
10. Tsakmakidis, K. L., A. D. Boardman, and O. Hess, "Trapped rainbow' storage of light in metamaterials," Nature, Vol. 450, 397-401, 2007.
11. Jiang, T., J. Zhao, and Y. Feng, "Stopping light by an air waveguide with anisotropic metamaterial cladding," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, 170-177, 2009.
12. Oksanen, M., P. K. Koivisto, and I. V. Lindell, "Dispersion curves and fields for a chiral slab waveguide," IEE Proc. H Microwave Ant. Prop., Vol. 138, 327-334, 1991.
13. Mariotte, F., P. Pelet, and N. Engheta, "A review of recent study of guided waves in chiral media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 09, 311-350, 1994.
14. Flood, K. M. and D. L. Jaggard, "Single-mode operation in symmetric planar waveguides using isotropic chiral media," Opt. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 7, 474-476, 1996.
15. Tretyakov, S., I. Nefedov, A. Sihvola, S. Maslovski, and C. Simovski, "Waves and energy in chiral nihility," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, 695-706, 2003.
16. Pendry, J. B., "A chiral route to negative refraction," Science, Vol. 306, 1353-1355, 2004.
17. Tretyakov, S., A. Sihvola, and L. Jylha, "Backward-wave regime and negative refraction in chiral composites," Photonics and Nanostructures, Vol. 3, 107-115, 2005.
18. Plum, E., J. Zhou, J. Dong, V. A. Fedotov, T. Koschny, C. M. Soukoulis, and N. I. Zheludev, "Metamaterial with negative index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, 035407, 2009.
19. Zhang, S., Y. Park, J. Li, X. Lu, W. Zhang, and X. Zhang, "Negative refractive index in chiral metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, 023901, 2009.
20. Jin, Y., J. He, and S. He, "Surface polaritons and slow propagation related to chiral media supporting backward waves," Phys. Letters A, Vol. 351, 354-358, 2006.
21. Dong, J. F., Z. J. Wang, L. L. Wang, and B. Liu, "Novel characteristics of guided modes in chiral negative refraction waveguides," Proceedings of International Symposium on Biophotonics, Nanophotonics and Metamaterials, Metamaterials 2006, 517-520, Oct. 2006.
22. Zhang, C. and T. J. Cui, "Chiral planar waveguide for guiding single-mode backward wave," Opt. Commun., Vol. 280, No. 2, 359-363, 2007.
23. Cheng, Q., T. J. Cui, and C. Zhang, "Waves in planar waveguide containing chiral nihility metamaterial," Opt. Commun., Vol. 276, No. 2, 317-321, 2007.
24. Naqvi, Q. A., "Planar slab of chiral nihility metamaterial backed by fractional dual/PEMC interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 85, 381-391, 2008.