This paper develops a novel design method for synthesizing the multi-passband filter with high flexibility in various passband location and fractional bandwidth. Using the proposed compensation technology in the equivalent circuit of multi-passband resonator, the cutoff frequencies and matching property in passband regions can be improved. Triple- and quad-band bandpass filters operating in both wireless local area network (WLAN) 802.11 a/b/g and worldwide interoperability for microwave access (WiMAX) systems are presented to verify the design method. The lumped-element coplanar waveguide stub fabricated by the split-ring resonator is established to realize filter with compact size. All the measured, full-wave simulated and equivalent-circuit modeled results illustrate a good agreement among them, which validates the multi-passband design methodology and shows the advantages of DC elimination and deep rejection between each passband.
2. Cheng, K. K. M. and C. Law, "A new approach to the realization of a dual-band microstrip filter with very wide upper stopband," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1461-1467, June 2008.
3. Gao, X., L. K. Yeung, and K. L. Wu, "A dual-band balun using partially coupled stepped-impedance coupled-line resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1455-1460, June 2008.
4. Lee, J., M. S. Uhm, and I. B. Yom, "A dual-passband filter of canonical structure for satellite applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 6, 271-273, June 2004.
5. Amari, S. and M. Bekheit, "A new class of dual-mode dual-band waveguide filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 8, 1938-1944, August 2008.
6. Lee, Y. C., "CPW-to-stripline vertical via transitions for 60 GHz Ltcc sop applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 37-44, 2008.
7. Zoschke, K., J. Wolf, M. Topper, O. Ehrmann, T. Fritzsch, K. Scherpinski, H. Reichl, and F. J. Schmuckle, "Thin film integration of passive --- Single components, filters, integrated passive devices," IEEE Proceedings of 54th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 294-301, Las Vegas, NV, June 2004.
8. Liu, L., S. M. Kuo, J. Abrokwah, M. Ray, D. Maurer, and M. Miller, "Compact harmonic filter design and fabrication using IPD technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 30, No. 12, 556-562, December 2007.
9. Wang, X. H. and B. Z. Wang, "Compact broadband dual-band bandpass filters using slotted ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 151-166, PIER 82, 2008.
10. Fan, J. W., C. H. Liang, and X. W. Dai, "Design of cross-coupled dual-band filter with equal-length split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 75, 285-293, 2007.
11. Lee, J. and K. Sarabandi, "Design of triple-passband microwave filters using frequency transformations," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 187-193, January 2008.
12. Chen, C. F., T. Y. Huang, and R. B. Wu, "Design of dual- and triple-passband filters using alternately cascaded multiband resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 9, 3550-3558, September 2006.
13. Kuo, J. T., T. H. Yeh, and C. C. Yeh, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1331-1337, April 2005.
14. Zhang, Y., K. A. Zaki, J. A. Ruiz-Cruz, and A. E. Atia, "Analytical synthesis of generalized multi-band microwave filters," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1273-1276, June 2007.
15. Lunot, V., S. Bila, and F. Seyfert, "Optimal synthesis for multiband microwave filters," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 115-118, June 2007.
16. Quendo, C., A. Manchec, Y. Clavet, E. Rius, J. F. Favennec, and C. Person, "General synthesis of n-band resonator based on norder dual behavior resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 5, 337-339, May 2007.
17. Mao, S. G. and M. S. Wu, "Design of artificial lumped-element coplanar waveguide filters with controllable dual-passband responses," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 7, 1684-1692, July 2008.
18. Mao, S. G., M. S. Wu, and Y. Z. Chueh, "Design of composite right/left-handed coplanar-waveguide bandpass and dual-passband filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 9, 3543-3549, September 2006.
19. Matthaei, G., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filter, Impedance-matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, 595-605, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1980.
20. Williams, A. B. and F. J. Taylor, Electronic Filter Design Handbook, 3rd edition, 2.36-2.43, McGraw-Hill, 1995.
21. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. M. Sillero, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. Garcia-Garcia, I. Gil, M. F. Portillo, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, April 2005.
22. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.
23. Mao, S. G. and Y. Z. Chueh, "Compact dual-passband filter using lumped-element coplanar waveguide resonators," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 16, 873-875, August 2, 2007.