A comparative study using numerical models on the mutual coupling (MC) between two different heterogeneous beam steering dielectric resonator antennas (DRAs) and an omni-directional dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) is presented in this paper. The mutual coupling was investigated by varying the separation between the antennas and manipulating the far field radiation pattern of each antenna. Several arrangements with element separation ranging from 0.1 to 0.5 free space wave length were investigated at the design frequency of 10 GHz. Different configurations contributed to different isolation levels. It was found that a significant isolation (< -15 dB) between an array of heterogeneous DRAs can be obtained even with antennas placed in close proximity (0.1 free space wavelength separation). It was also shown that the resonant frequency and return loss are most affected at settings where the direction of the main lobe of antenna A overlaps with the direction of the main lobe of antenna B. The expected inverse proportionality between 'd' (the separation between two antennas) and the level of MC was also demonstrated.
2. Samii, D. W., M. Manteghi, M. P. Fitz, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Experiments with compact antenna arrays for MIMO radio communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 3239-3250, 2006.
3. Fletcher, P. N., M. Dean, and A. R. Nix, "Mutual coupling in multi-element array antennas and its influence on MIMO channel capacity," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, 342-344, 2003.
4. Gao, Y., X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Channel capacity of dual-element modified PIFA array on small mobile terminal," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, 1060-1062, 2007.
5. Rikuta, Y. and H. Arai, "Mutual coupling suppression of two dipole antennas backed by optimized reflector," IEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 276-279, 2002.
6. Fan, Y. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2936-2946, 2003.
7. Kwai-Man, L., L. Wai-Kee, and L. Kwok-Wa, "Mutual impedance of hemispherical dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, 1652-1654, 1994.
8. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and L. Kai-Fong, "Comparative study on the mutual coupling between different sized cylindrical dielectric resonators antennas and circular microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 1011-1019, 2005.
9. Dorris, R. J., R. T. Long, S. A. Long, M. A. A. Khayat, and J. T. A. Williams, "Mutual coupling between cylindrical probefed dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 8-9, 2002.
10. Fayad, H. and P. Record, "Mechanically steerable fluid dielectric resonator antenna," International Journal of Electronics and Communication, accepted, in press, March 2008.
11. Fayad, H. and P. Record, "Experimental investigation on new steerable dielectric resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, 1009-1010, 2007.
12. Fayad, H. and P. Record, Adaptive Dielectric Resonator Antenna, Antennas and Propagation Conference, Loughborough, LAPC,, 329-332, 2007.
13. Fayad, H. and P. Record, "Muliti-feed dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 76, 341-356, 2007.