By taking inspiration from , a synthesis strategy is proposed for the case of planar arrays and ring shaped patterns which does not require the exploitation of global optimization procedures. In particular, the approach is able to determine a priori (that is, without solving the overall design problem) whether the given power pattern design constraints can be fulfilled or not, and, in the affirmative case, to determine the needed excitation coefficients. Although the approach does not apply to generic planar arrays and generic constraints, it may serve both as a reference solution for more general synthesis procedures, and as an elementary brick for more cumbersome synthesis problems.
1. Isernia, T., O. M. Bucci, and N. Fiorentino, "Shaped beam antenna synthesis problem: Feasibility criteria and new strategies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 12, 103-137, 1998. doi:10.1163/156939398X00098
2. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory and Design, Englewood Cliffs, Prentice-Hall, NJ, 1981.
3. Bucci, O. M., G. D'Elia, G. Mazzarella, and G. Panariello, "Antenna pattern synthesis: A new general approach," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 82, No. 3, 358-371, March 1994. doi:10.1109/5.272140
4. Zhou, H. J., B. H. Sun, and Q. Z. Liu, "Efficient optimization and realization of a shaped-beam planar array for very large array application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 1-10, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08112503
5. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, L. Xu, and Y. Q. Hey, "Improved GA and PSO culled hybrid algorithm for antenna array pattern synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 461-476, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121503
6. Lanza Diego, M., J. R. Perez Lopez, J. Basterrechea, and Y. Q. Hey, "Synthesis of planar arrays using a modified particle swarm optimization algorithm by introducing a selection operator and elitism," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 145-160, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09041303
7. Villegas, F. J., "Parallel genetic-algorithm optimization of shaped beam coverage areas using planar 2-D phased arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1745-1753, June 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898601
8. Karimkashi, S. and A. A. Kishk, "Invasive weed optimization and its features in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, in print.
9. Isernia, T., O. M. Bucci, M. D'Urso, G. Toso, and P. Angeletti, "Deterministic synthesis of uniform amplitude sparse arrays via new flexible density taper techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation.
10. ESA/ESTEC, "Tender AO/1-5598/08/NL/ST,", January 2008, see www.esa.int.
11. Collin, R. E., Antennas and Radiowave Propagation, McGraw-Hill, New York.
12. Bucci, O. M. and G. Franceschetti, "On the spatial bandwidth of scattered fields," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 12, 1445-1455, December 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144024
13. Fletcher, R., Pratical Methods of Optimization, Wiley, 1990.
14. Moore, H., MATLAB for Engineers, Prentice Hall, 2008.
15. Kim, Y. U. and R. S. Elliott, "Extensions of the Tseng-Cheng pattern synthesis technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 2, 255-268, 1988. doi:10.1163/156939388X00224
16. Mason, J. C. and D. C. Handscomb, Chebyshev Polynomials, Chapman & Hall, 2002.
17. Ramos, J., M. Martinez, and M. Ruiz, "Software for synthesis of radiation patterns by linear antenna arrays," Proc. of the World Scienti¯c and Engineering Academy and Society Conference WSEAS 2002, 2002.