A new antenna structure is formed by combining the concept of reconfigurable planar antenna array (RPAA) with the parasitic elements to produce beam steering patterns. The antenna has been integrated with the PIN diode switches that enable the beam to be steered in the desired direction. This has been done by changing the switch state to either on or off mode. In this work, a number of parasitic elements have been applied to the antenna, namely reflectors and directors. They are placed in between the driven elements, which is aimed to improve the beam steering angle. With such configuration, the main beam radiated by the array can be tilted due to the effect of mutual coupling between the driven elements and parasitic elements (reflectors and director). The unique property of this antenna design is that instead of fabricating all together in the same plane, the antenna's feeding network is separated from the antenna radiating elements (the patches) by an air gap distance. This allows reducing the spurious effects from the feeding line. The optimization results for the resonant frequencies of the antennas with variable air gap heights are also been studied. The antenna is made for 5.8 GHz. Good agreement is achieved between the simulation and measurement.
1. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05120101
2. Mak, A. C. K., C. R. Rowell, R. D. Murch, and C. L. Mak, "Reconfigurable multiband antenna designs for wireless communication devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 1919-1928, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.895634
3. Panagamuwa, C. J., A. Chauraya, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Frequency and beam reconfigurable antenna using photoconducting switches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 449-454, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863393
4. Cetiner, B. A., H. Jafarkhani, Q. Jiang-Yuan, Y. H. Jae, A. Grau, and F. de Flaviis, "Multifunctional reconfigurable MEMS integrated antennas for adaptive MIMO systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 42, 62-70, 2004. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2004.1367557
5. Wei, W.-B., Q.-Z. Liu, Y.-Z. Yin, and H.-J. Zhou, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 63-68, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07053002
6. Ali, M. T., M. R. B. Kamarudin, T. A. Rahman, R. Sauleau, and M. N. M. Tan, "Design of reconfigurable multiple elements microstrip rectangular linear array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 6, 21-35, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC08122101
7. Kamarudin, M. R. B. and P. S. Hall, "Switched beam antenna array with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 187-201, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09011603
8. Chiao, J.-C., Y. Iao, I. M. Chio, M. Delisio, and L.-Y. Lin, MEMS reconfigurable Vee antenna, Digest of the 1999 IEEE MTT Intl. Microwave Symposium, Vol. 4, 1515-1518, 1999.
9. Pringle, L. N., P. G. Friederich, S. P. Blalock, G. N. Kiesel, P. H. Harms, D. R. Denison, E. J. Kuster, T. L. Fountain, and G. S. Smith, "GTRI reconfigurable aperture design," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 473-476, 2002.
10. Schaffner, J. H., R. Y. Loo, D. F. Sievenpiper, F. A. Dolezal, G. L. Tangonan, J. S. Colburn, J. J. Lynch, J. J. Lee, S. W. Livingston, R. J. Broa, and M. Wu, Reconfigurable aperture antennas using RF MEMS switches for multi-octave tunability and beam steering , Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 321-324, 2000.
11. Guha, D., "Resonant frequency of circular microstrip antennas with and without air gaps ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, 55-59, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.910530
12. Ali, M. T., T. B. A. Rahman, M. R. B. Kamarudin, M. N. M. Tan, and R. Sauleau, "A planar antenna array with separated feed line for higher gain and sidelobe reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 8, 69-82, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09041301
13. Thiel, D. V., S. O'Keefe, and W. L. Jun, "Electronic beam steering in wire and patch antenna systems using switched parasitic elements," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S. Digest, 1996, Vol. 1, 534-537, 1996. doi:10.1109/APS.1996.549655
14. Gray, D., L. J. Wei, and D. V. Thiel, "Electronically steerable Yagi-Uda microstrip patch antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, 605-608, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.668900
15. Mori, K., K. Uchida, and H. Arai, Active antenna using parasitic elements, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium , Vol. 3, 1636-1639, 1998.
16. Zhang, S., G. H. Huff, J. Feng, and J. T. Bernhard, "A pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 2773-2776, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834372