In this paper, an analytical method to characterize the frequency behaviour of Composite Right/Left Handed (CRLH) loaded printed dipole antenna is presented. One needs to determine the parameters of ungrounded reactive components realizing CRLH structures. Efficient resonant RLC circuit models based on Partial Elements Theory are presented to calculate inductance of meander line inductor and inter digital capacitor, while their capacitance is determined by Conformal Mapping Method. By using these circuit models and dispersion relation of balanced CRLH TL, negative resonance modes of antenna can be obtained. In addition, to validate the accuracy of the proposed analytical method, a prototype of the CRLH loaded printed dipole antenna is simulated, fabricated and measured.
1. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Transmission line approach of left-handed (LH) materials and microstrip implementation of an artificial LH transmission line," IEEE Tans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1159-1166, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.827249
2. Caloz, C., A. Sanda, and T. Itoh, "A novel composite right-/left-handed coupled-line directional coupler with arbitrary coupling level and broad bandwidth," IEEE Tans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 980-992, Mar. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.823579
3. Gil, M., J. Bonache, J. Selga, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "High-pass filters implemented by composite right/left handed (CRLH) transmission lines based on complementary split rings resonators (CSRRs) ," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 3, 251-253, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060802072849
4. Sebak, S., L. Zhu, V. K. Devabhaktuni, and C. Wang, "A CRLH microstrip delay line for high-speed electronic circuits," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 3, 259-263, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061007235152
5. Jimenez-Martin, J. L., V. Gonzialez-Posadas, J. E. Gonzalez-Garcia, F. J. Arques-Orobon, L. E. Garcia Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual band high efficiency class CE power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09071609
6. Liu, L., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Dominant mode leaky-wave antenna with backfire-to-endfire scanning capability," Electron. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 23, 1414-1416, Nov. 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020977
7. Schuessler, M., J. Freese, and R. Jakoby, "Design of compact planar antennas using LH-transmission lines," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 1, 209-212, Jun. 2004.
8. Qureshi, F., M. A. Antoniades, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact and low-profile metamaterial ring antenna with vertical polarization," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Lett., Vol. 4, 333-336, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.857041
9. Ziolkowski, R. W. and A. D. Kipple, "Application of double negative materials to increase the power radiated by electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2626-2640, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817561
10. Iizuka, H. and P. S. Hall, A left-handed dipole concept, Proc. Int. Workshop on Antenna Tech., New York, Mar. 6-8, 2006.
11. Iizuka, H. and P. S. Hall, "A left-handed dipole antenna and their implementations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 5, May 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.895568
12. Liu, Q., P. S. Hall, and A. L. Borja, Dipole with left handed loading with optimized efficiency, 2nd European Conference on Antenna and Propagation, EUCAP07, Edinburgh, Nov. 2007.
13. Niu, J.-X. and X.-L. Zhou, "Analysis of balanced composite right/left handed structure based on different dimensions of complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 341-351, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07051802
14. Sanchez-Martinez, J. J., E. Marquez-Segura, P. Otero, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Artificial transmission line with left/right-handed behavior based on wire bonded interdigital capacitors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 245-264, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08120804
15. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmissiion Line Theory and Microwave Applications," Wiley-Intersience, Hoboken, NJ, 2006.
16. Acuna, J. E., J. L. Rodriguez, and F. Obelliero, "Design of meander line inductors on printed circuit boards," Int. J RF and Microwave, John Wiley & Sons, Feb. 2001.
17. Yoon, H., K. J. Vinoy, and V. K. Varadan, "Design and development of micromachined bilateral interdigital coplanar waveguide RF phase shifter compatible with lateral double di®used metal oxide semiconductor voltage controlled on silicon," Institute of Physics Publishing, Sep. 2003.
18. Ruehli, A. E., "Inductance calculations in a complex integrated circuit environment ," IBM J. Res. Develop., 470-481, 1972. doi:10.1147/rd.165.0470
19. Wu, R. B., C. N. Kuo, and K. K. Chang, "Inductance and resistance computations for three-dimensional multiconductor interconnection structures," IEEE Tans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 2, 263-271, Feb. 1992. doi:10.1109/22.120098
20. Grover, F. W., "nductance Calculations: Working Formulas and Tables ," Van Nostrand, New York, 1992.
21. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, Wiley-Intersience, Hoboken, NJ, 1992.
22. Gupta, K. C., R. garg, and I. J. Bahl, Microstrip Lines and SlotLines, Artech House, Washington, 1979.
23. Johnson, H. W. and M. Graham, "High Speed Digital Design," Prentice Hall PTR, April 1993.
24. Kim, Y. G., D. S. Woo, K. W. Kim, and Y. K. Cho, A new ultra-wideband microstrip-to-CPS transition , IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, Daegu, Korea, Jun. 2007.