This paper aims to provide an effective solution to the problem of detecting a large number of densely stacked DVDs. The number is in the range of 2000. In order to achieve that goal, firstly the structure and the properties of materials comprising a DVD disc and a DVD case are investigated. The effect of the metal layer in the disc on the interrogating wave is evaluated via theoretical analysis and simulation. Based on that analysis and simulation, and on numerous experiments on either a single labeled DVD in free space or multiple labeled DVD in a DVD stack, two solutions are proposed whereby over 95% DVDs in a great portion of a 2000 DVD stack could be detected. Eliminating the tags which have weak performance, the percentage can be 100%. This paper not only expands the range of categories detectable by UHF RFID systems but also provides a process and method for item-level tagging in which the number of the items is in the range of thousands.
2. Fan, Z., S. Qiao, J. T. Huangfu, and L.-X. Ran, "A miniaturized printed dipole antenna with V-shaped ground for 2.45 GHz RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 149-158, 2007.
3. Loo, C.-H., K. ElmahgoubKuo, F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. Kishk, T. Elsherbeni, L. Ukkonen, L. Sydanheimo, M. Kivikoski, S. Merilampi, and P. Ruuskanen, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008.
4. Chen, S.-L., S.-K. Kuo, and C.-T. Lin, "A metallic RFID tag design for steel-bar and wire-rod management application in the steel industry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 195-212, 2009.
5. Kuo, S.-K., S.-L. Chen, and C.-T. Lin, "An accurate method for impedance measurement of RFID tag antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 4, 115-126, 2008.
6. Yarkoni, N. and N. Blaunstein, "Prediction of propagation characteristics in indoor radio communication environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 151-174, 2006.
7. Chen, X., F. Lu, and T. T. Ye, "Mutual coupling of stacked UHF RFID antennas in NFC applications," 2009 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2009.
8. Riddle, B., J. Baker-Jarvis, and J. Krupka, "Complex permittivity measurements of common plastics over variable temperatures," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory, Vol. 51, No. 3, 727-733, 2003.
9. Bigley, J. D., "Secure optical information disc having a minimized metal layer,", U.S. Patent No. US 7, 187, 645 B2, Feb. 3, 2005.
10. Byers, F. R., "Care and handling of CDs and DVDs," Council on Library and Information Resources, Oct. 2003.
11. Grosvenor, C. A., R. T. Johnk, J. Baker-Jarvis, M. D. Janezic, and B. Riddle, "Time-domain free-field measurements of the relativ permittivity of building materials," IEEE Trans. on Instrum. Meas., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2275-2282, 2009.
12., "Radiocommunications (low interference potential devices) class licence 2000," Australia Communications and Media Authority, 2000.
13. Kim, D.-Y., H.-G. Yoon, B.-J. Jang, and J.-G. Yook, "Interference analysis of UHF RFID systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 115-126, 2008.
14., "Radio-frequency identity protocols class-1 generation-2 UHF RFID protocol for communications at 860 MHz-960MHz version 1.2.0," EPCglobal, 2008.
15. Shi, X., X.-W. Shi, Q. Huang, and F. Wei, "An enhanced binary anti-collision algorithm of backtracking in RFID system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 263-271, 2008.
16., "ISO 6780 flat pallets for intercontinental materials handling --- Principal dimensions and tolerances," The International Organization for Standardization (ISO), 2003.