Design and development of a low profile, compact, wide beam and wide band printed double layered exponentially tapered slot antenna (DTSA) with a coplanar waveguide (CPW) feed meant for wide scan active phased array antenna in X-band has been presented. DTSA satisfies the requirements on the maximum reflection coefficient of Γ ≤ -10 dB for ±60o and ±45o scan from broadside in H- and E-planes, respectively with a moderate gain of 4-7 dBi. Realized antenna has shown a symmetric pattern together with moderately high gain, low cross-polarization and 3 dB beam width better than ±60o and ±45o in H- and E-planes, respectively. The designed structure is expected to find applications in mounting platforms with limited RF real estate available to it like in military aircrafts, owing to its easy integration with the uni-planar monolithic millimeter-wave integrated circuits.
2. Lacomme, P., J. P. Hardange, J. C. Marchais, and E. Normant, Air and Spaceborne Radar Systems: An Introduction, Scitech Publishing Inc., 2001.
3. Stimson, G. W., Introduction to Airborne Radar, Scietch Publishing Inc., 1998.
4. Hemmi, C., R. T. Dover, F. German, and A. Vespa, "Multifunction wide band array design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 425-431, Mar. 1999.
5. Axness, T. A., R. V. Coffman, B. A. Kopp, and K. W. O'Haver, "Shared aperture technology development," Johns Hopkins APL Tech. Dig., Vol. 17, 1996.
6. Chang, K., Encyclopaedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, 3535-3546, John Wiley and Sons, 2006.
7. Balanis, C. A., Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley and Sons, 2008.
8. Amitay, N., V. Galindo, and C. P. Wu, Theory and Analysis of Phased Array Antennas, Wiley Interscience, 1972.
9. Visser, H. J., Array and Phased Array Antenna Basics, John Wiley and Sons, 2005.
10. Trifunovic, V. and B. Jokanovic, "Review of printed marchand and double baluns: characteristics and application," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, 1454-1462, Aug. 1994.
11. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Compact directional antenna for ultra wideband microwave imaging system," Microw. Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 51, No. 12, 2898-2901, Dec. 2009.
12. Acharya, P. R., H. Ekstrom, S. S. Gearhart, S. Jacobsson, J. F. Johansson, E. L. Kollberg, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Tapered slotline antennas at 802 GHz," IEEE Trans. Microwav. Theory Tech., Vol. 41, No. 10, Oct. 1993.
13. High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Ver. 11, , Ansoft Corporation.
14. Ellgardt, A., "A scan blindness model for single-polarized tapered slot arrays in triangular grids," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 2937-2942, Sep. 2008.
15. Shin, J. and D. H. Schaubert, "A parameter study of stripline-fed vivaldi notch antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 879-886, 1999.
16. Schaubert, D. H., A. O. Boryssenko, and T. H. Chio, "Analysis of fite arrays of wideband tapered slot antennas," URSI Gen. Assembly, Maastricht, The Netherlands, 2002.
17. Schaubert, D. H. and T. H. Chio, "Wideband vivaldi arrays for large aperture antennas," NFRA Int. Conf. Perspectives in Radio Astronomy: Technologies for Large Antenna Arrays, 49-57, Dwindeloo, Netherlands, Apr. 1999.
18. Marchand, N., "Transmission line conversion," Electronics, Vol. 17, 142-145, 1944.
19. Knorr, J. B., "Slotline transitions," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 22, 48-54, 1974.
20. Shafieha, J. H., J. Noorinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Probing the feed line parameters in vivaldi notch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 237-252, Ch. 10, John Wiley and Sons, 2008.
21. Itoh, T., et al., Finite Element Software for Microwave Engineering, Ch. 10, John Wiley and Sons, 1996.
22. High Frequency Laminates, Rogers Corporation, , USA.