In this paper, a new kind of end-fire array was built by employing high directivity plate end-fire antenna as the basic element based on electromagnetic surface wave theory. Being different from normal end-fire array, in the new array, high directivity plate end-fire antenna elements were arranged end to end along the end-fire direction, and the interelement spacing and uniform progressive phase were carefully adjusted to achieve high directivity. The simulations and measurements showed that the whole array achieved 19.2 dB directivity with four elements at 14.7 dB directivity each.
2. Maruyama, T., K. Uehara, and K. Kagoshima, Analysis and design of multi-sector monopole Yagi-Uda array mounted on a ground plane using moment method , Third International Conference on Computation in Electromagnetic, 289-294, Apr. 1996.
3. King, R. W. P., "Surface-wave radar and its application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 3000-3002, Oct 2003.
4. Yao, G.-W., Z.-H. Xue, Z.-K. Liu, W.-M. Li, W. Nan, R. Wu, and S.-M. Yang, "Design of high-directivity end-fire antenna array," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT-2008), Vol. 1, 424-427, Nanjing, China, Apr. 2008.
5. Sengupta, D., "On the phase velocity of wave propagation along an infinite Yagi structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 3, 234-239, Jul. 1959.
6. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory and Design, Revised Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2003.
7. Lin, C., H. Chen, and W. Wu, Modern Antenna Design, China Post and Telecom Press, 1990.
8. Lin, C., Antenna Engineering Handbook, China Post and Telecom Press, 2002.
9. Hansen, W. W. and J. R. Woodyard, "A new principle in directional antenna design," Proc. IRE, Vol. 26, 333-345, Mar. 1938.
10. Cho, S. and R. King, "Numerical solution of nonuniform surface wave antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 24, No. 4, 483-490, Jul. 1976.
11. Grajek, P. R., B. Schoenlinner, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A 24-GHz high-gain Yagi-Uda antenna array," EEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1257-1261, May 2004.
12. Liu, Z.-K. The theory research on high directivity end-fire antenna, Thesis for Master Degree, Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT), 2007.
13. Liu, Z.-K., Z.-H. Xue, and B.-Q. Gao, "Research on the EM field on the surface of a surface wave antenna," IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Hangzhou, 2007.
14. Deal, W. R., N. Kaneda, J. Sor, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A new quasiyagi antenna for planar active antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, 910-918, Jun. 2000.
15. Chen, K., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "A novel microstrip dipole antenna with wideband and end-fire properties," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1679-1688, 2007.
16. Wang, N.-B., Y. Song, Y.-C. Jiao, L. Zhang, and F.-S. Zhang, "Extreme wideband tapered slot antenna with impedance bandwidth in excess of 21.6 : 1," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 231-238, 2009.
17. Ares, F., R. S. Elliott, and E. Moreno, "Design of planar arrays to obtain efficient footprint patterns with an arbitrary footprint boundary," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 11, 1509-1514, Nov. 1994.
18. Shang, F. The research on high direcitivity end-fire antenna array, Thesis for Doctor Degree, Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT), 2006.
19. Kraus, D. and J. Marhefka, Antennas: For All Applications, 3rd Ed., 348-365, The McGraw-Hill Companies, 2002.
20. Serracchioli, F. and C. Levis, "The calculated phase velocity of long end-fire uniform dipole arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 5, 424-434, Dec. 1959.