Antenna array beamformers suffer from performance deterioration in the presence of mutual coupling (MC) between array sensors. In this paper, we present a theoretical analysis in terms of the output signal-to-interference-plus-noise ratio (SINR) for the performance of antenna array beamformers under MC effects. Based on the model of a distortion matrix to encapsulate the MC effects, a closed-form expression for the SINR is derived that is shown to accurately predict the SINR obtained in simulations. This theoretical formula is valid for any distortion matrix estimated from collected measurement data. The SINR formulas provide insights into the influence of the MC effects on the performances of the linearly constrained minimum variance (LCMV) beamformer and the eigenspace-based (ESB) beamformer. It is shown that the ESB beamformer outperforms the LCMV beamformer under MC effects. Moreover, we derive the formulas for computing the eigenvalues of signal correlation matrix under MC effects. Simulation results are presented for confirming the validity of the theoretical results.
2. Chang, L. and C.-C. Yeh, "Performance of DMI and eigenspace-based beamformers," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 40, No. 11, 1336-1347, Nov. 1992.
3. Cox, H., R. M. Zeskind, and M. M. Owen, "Robust adaptive beamforming," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 35, No. 10, 1365-1375, Oct. 1987.
4. Zhang, S. and I. L. Thng, "Robust presteering derivative constraints for broadband antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 1, 1-10, Jan. 2002.
5. Vorobyov, S. A., A. B. Gershman, and Z. Luo, "Robust adaptive beamforming using worst-case performance optimization: A solution to the signal mismatch problem," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 2, 313-324, Feb. 2003.
6. Shahbazpanahi, S., A. B. Gershman, Z. Q. Luo, and K. M. Wong, "Robust adaptive beamforming for general-rank signal model," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2257-2269, Sep. 2003.
7. Zou, Q., Z. L. Yu, and Z. Lin, "A robust algorithm for linearly constrained adaptive beamforming," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 11, No. 1, 26-29, Jan. 2004.
8. Elnashar, A., S. M. Elnoubi, and H. A. El-Mikati, "Further study on robust adaptive beamforming with optimum diagonal loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 12, 3647-3658, Dec. 2006.
9. Svantesson, T. and A. Ranheim, "Mutual coupling effects on the capacity of multielement antenna systems," Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 4, 2485-2488, Salt City, UT, USA, May 2001.
10. Dandekar, K. R., H. Ling, and G. Xu, "Experimental study of mutual coupling compensation in smart antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, Vol. 1, No. 3, 480-487, Jul. 2002.
11. Durrani, S. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Effect of mutual coupling on the interference rejection capabilities of linear and circular arrays in CDMA systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1130-1134, Apr. 2004.
12. Huang, Z., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Mutual coupling compensation in UCAs: Simulations and experiment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3082-3086, Nov. 2006.
13. Kikuchi, S., H. Tsuji, and A. Sano, "Autocalibration algorithm for robust Capon beamforming," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 251-255, Dec. 2006.
14. Svantesson, T., Modeling and estimation of mutual coupling in a uniform linear array of dipoles, Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 5, 2961-2964, Phoenix, AZ, USA, Mar. 1999.
15. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley, New York, 2005.
16. Winters, J. H., "Smart antennas for wireless systems," IEEE Pers. Commun. Mag., Vol. 5, No. 1, 23-27, Feb. 1998.
17. Trees, H. L. V., Optimum Array Processing, Part IV of Detection, Estimation, and Modulation Theory, Wiley Interscience, New York, 2002.
18. Hasna, M. O., M.-S. Alouini, A. Bastami, and E. S. Ebbini, "Performance analysis of cellular mobile systems with successive co-channel interference cancellation," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 2, No. 1, 29-40, Jan. 2003.
19. Kang, M., M.-S. Alouini, and L. Yang, "Outage probability and spectrum efficiency of cellular mobile radio systems with smart antennas ," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 50, No. 12, 1871-1877, Dec. 2002.
20. Mostafa, R., A. Annamalai, and J. H. Reed, "Performance evaluation of cellular mobile radio systems with interference nulling of dominant interferers ," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 52, No. 2, 326-335, Feb. 2004.
21. Li, H., Y.-D. Yao, and J. Yu, "Outage probabilities of wireless systems with LCMV beamforming," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 6, No. 10, 3515-3523, Oct. 2007.
22. Yu, S.-J. and J.-H. Lee, "Statistical performance of eigenspace-based adaptive array beamformers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, No. 5, 665-671, May 1996.
23. Lee, C.-C. and J.-H. Lee, "Eigenspace-based adaptive array beamforming with robust capabilities," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 12, 1711-1716, Dec. 1997.
24. Chang, L. and C. C. Yeh, "Effect of pointing errors on the performance of the projection beamformer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 41, No. 8, 1045-1056, Aug. 1993.
25. Gupta, I. J. and A. A. Ksienski, "Effect of mutual coupling on the performance of adaptive arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 31, No. 5, 785-791, Sep. 1983.
26. Xie, J., Z. S. He, and H.-Y. Li, "A fast DOA estimation algorithm for uniform circular arrays in the presence of unknown mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 21, 257-271, 2011.