This work presents new method, retrieved results and validation for complex and frequency dependent permittivity and permeability parameter extraction of two composite, homogeneous and isotropic magnetically loaded microwave absorbers. Permittivities and permeabilities are extracted from free space transmission measurements for frequencies from 22 up to 140 GHz. For validation of the results reflection measurements (samples with and without metal backing) are performed and are compared with simulations that use extracted models. The proposed new method solves some shortcomings of the popular methods: extracts both permittivity and permeability only from transmission parameter measurements, gives good results even with noisy data, does not need initial guesses of unknown model parameters.
2. Halpern, M., et al., "Far infrared transmission of dielectric at cryogenic and room temperatures," Applied Optics, Vol. 25, No. 4, 565-570, 1986.
3. Kerr, A. R., et al., "MF-112 and MF-116: Compact waveguide loads and FTS measurements at room temperature and 5K," ALMA MEMO 494, NRAO, May 2004.
4. Jarvis, J. B., et al., Measuring the Permittivity and Permeability of Lossy Materials: Solids Liquids, Building Material and Negative-index Materials, Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. Tech. Note 1536, Feb. 2005.
5. Jarvis, J. B. Transmission Reflection and Short Circuit Line Permittivity Measurements , Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. Tech. Note 1341, Jul. 1990.
6. Jarvis, J. B., et al., "A non-linear least-squares solution with causality constraints applied to transmission line permittivity and permeability determination," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Measur., Vol. 41, 1992.
7. Bunget, I., "Physics of Solid Dielectrics," Materials Science Monographs 19, Elsevier, 1984.
8. Choi, H. D., et al., "Frequency dispersion characteristics of the complex permittivity of the epoxy carbon black composites," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 67, 1998.
9. Sihvola, A., Electromagnetic Mixing Formulas and Applications, The Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, UK, 1999.
10. Zhuravlev, V. A. and V. I. Suslyaev, "Physics of magnetic phenomena analysis and correction of the magnetic permeability spectra of Ba3Co2Fe24O41 hexaferrite by using Cramers-Kronig relations ," Russian Physics Journa, Vol. 49, No. 8, 2006.
11. Zhuravlev, V. A. and V. I. Suslyaev, "Analysis of the microwave magnetic permeability spectra of ferrites with hexagonal structure," Russian Physics Journa, Vol. 49, No. 9, 2006.