In this paper, a novel Wavelet-Galerkin Method (WGM) is presented to model the radio-wave propagation in tropospheric ducts. Galerkin method, with Daubechies scaling functions, is used to discretize the height operator. Later, a marching algorithm is developed using Crank-Nicolson (CN) method. A new ``fictitious domain method'' is also developed for parabolic wave equation to incorporate the impedance boundary conditions in WGM. In the end, results are compared with those from Advance Refractive Effects Prediction System (AREPS). Results show that the wavelet based methods are indeed feasible to model the radio wave propagation in troposphere as accurately as AREPS and proposed method can be a good alternative to other conventional methods.
2. Kuttler, , J. , G. Dockery, and , "An improved-boundary algorithm for fourier split-step solutions of the parabolic wave equation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 12, 1592-1599, 1996.
3. Isaakidis, , S. A. , T. D. Xenos, and , "Parabolic equation solution of tropospheric wave propagation using FEM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, , Vol. 49, , 25-271, 2004.
4. Deshpande, V. , M. Deshpande, and , "Study of electromagnetic wave propagation through dielectric slab doped randomly with thin metallic wires using finite element method," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, , Vol. 15, No. 5, 306-308, 2005.
5. Oraizi, , H. , S. Hosseinzadeh, and , "A novel marching algorithm for radio wave propagation modeling over rough surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, , Vol. 57, 85-100, 2006..
6. Arshad, K., , F. Katsriku, and A. Lasebae, , "An investigation of wave propagation over irregular terrain and urban streets using finite elements," World Scientific and Engineering Academy and Society (WSEAS), , 105-110, 2007.
7. Apaydin, , G. , L. Sevgi, and , "The split-step-fourier and finite-element-based parabolic-equation propagation-prediction tools: Canonical tests, systematic comparisons, and calibration ,", Vol. 52, No. 3, 66-79, 2010.
8. Apaydin, , G. , L. Sevgi, and , "Numerical investigations of and path loss predictions for surface wave propagation over sea paths including hilly island transitions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 58, No. 4, , 1302-1314, , 2010.
9. Barrios, , A., "Considerations in the development of the advanced propagation model (APM) for us navy applications," Proceedings of the International Radar Conference,, 77-82, , 2003.
10. Amaratunga, , K., , J. Williams, S. Qian, and J. Weiss, , "Wavelet-Galerkin solutions for one dimensional partial differential equations," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, , Vol. 37, No. 16, 2703-2716, 1994.
11. Liandrat, , J., , "Resolution of the 1D regularized burgers equation using a spatial wavelet approximation," DTIC Document, Tech. Rep., , 1990..
12. Qian, S. , J. Weiss, and , "Wavelets and the numerical solution of partial di®erential equations," Journal of Computational Physics,, Vol. 106, No. 1, 155-175, , 1993.
13. Pierce, , I. , L. Watkins, and , "Modelling optical pulse propagation in nonlinear media using wavelets," Proceedings of the IEEE-SP International Symposium on Time-Frequency and Time-Scale Analysis, , 361-363, 1996..
14. Reginska, , T. , L. Eldn, and , "Solving the sideways heat equation by a wavelet-Galerkin method," Inverse Problems, Vol. 13, , 1093, 1997.
15. Lu, , D., , T. Ohyoshi, and L. Zhu, , "Treatment of boundary conditions in the application of wavelet-Galerkin method to an sh wave problem," International Journal of the Society of Materials Engineering for Resources,, Vol. 5, No. 1, 15-25, 1997.
16. Gerstoft, , P., , L. Rogers, J. Krolik, and W. Hodgkiss, "Inversion for refractivity parameters from radar sea clutter," Radio Science, Vol. 38, No. 3, , 122, , 2003..
17. Barclay, L., , Propagation of Radiowaves,, Inst. of Engineering & Technology, , 2003.
18. Hitney, , H., J. Richter, R. Pappert, K. Anderson, and G. Baum gartner, Jr., , "Tropospheric radio propagation assessment," Pro-ceedings of the IEEE,, Vol. 73, No. 2, 265-283, 1985.
19. Antoine, , X., , A. Arnold, C. Besse, M. Ehrhardt, and A. Schdle, "Review of transparent and artificial boundary conditions techniques for linear and nonlinear SchrÄodinger equations," Communications in Computational Physics, Vol. 4, No. 4, 729-796, 2008.
20. Daubechies, , I., , "Orthonormal bases of compactly supported wavelets," Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 41, No. 7, 909-996, , 1988.
21. Chui, C. K., , An Introduction to Wavelets, , Academic Press, , 1992.