Signal variation caused by motions along the lift shaft in a campus environment and on board a ship is compared. The guiding effect is common for both lift shafts, and the variation in amplitude of the guided signals is more significant for the lift shaft with larger dimensions. Unlike the lift shaft within the campus, the ship with its lift shaft forms a `waveguide within waveguide' structure. Therefore, the reflected signals within the ship enclosure outside the lift shaft are significantly affected by the motion along the lift shaft. Due to the difference in the degree of the signal variations in these two environments, the rms delay spread is found to be closely related to the lift door status and the lift car position in the campus environment, whereas it is not significantly affected by the motions along the lift shaft in the ship environment. From the statistical study and comparison of the signal variations in the two environments, the Weibull probability density function is found to be the most suitable model to describe analogous waveguide channels such as the lift shaft and the ship enclosure.
2. Meskanen, , H. and J. Huttunen, "Comparison of a logarithmic and a linear indoor lift car propagation model," IEEE Int. Conf. on Personal Wireless Communication, 115-120, 1999.
3. Kim, , T. S., H. S. Cho, and D. K. Sung, "Moving elevator-cell system in indoor buildings," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, Vol. 49, No. 5, 1743-1751, 2000.
4. Mao, , X. H., Y. H. Lee, and B. C. Ng, "Propagation modes and temporal variations along a lift shaft in UHF band," IEEE Trans. Ant. and Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2700-2709, 2010.
5. Hampton, , J. R., N. M. Merheb, W. L. Lain, D. E. Paunil, R. M. Shuford, and W. T. Kasch, "Urban propagation measurements for ground based communication in military UHF Band ," IEEE Trans. Ant. and Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 2, 644-654, 2006.
6. Mao, X. H., , Y. H. Lee, and B. C. Ng, "Statistically modeling of signal variation for propagation along a lift shaft," IEEE Ant. and Propagat. Letters,, Vol. 9, 752-755, 2010.
7. Yarkoni, N. and N. Blaunstein, "Prediction of propagation characteristics in indoor communication environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 151-174, 2006.
8. Estes, , D. R. J., , T. B. Welch, A. A. Sarkady, and H. Whitesel, "Shipboard radio frequency propagation measurements for wireless networks ," Military Comm. Conf.,, 247-251, 2001.
9. Mokole, E. L., , M. Parent, T. T. Street, and E. Tomas, "RF Propagation on ex-USS Shadwell," IEEE-APS Conf. on Ant. and Propagat. for Wireless Commun., 153-156, 2000.
10. Mariscotti, , A., , M. Sassi, A. Qualizza, and M. Lenardon, "On the propagation of wireless signals on board ships," IEEE Instrument and Measurement Technology Conf., 1418-1423, 2010.
11. Nobels, , P. and L. R. Scott, "Wideband propagation measurements onboard HMS BRISTOL," Military Commun. Conf., 1412-1415, 2003..
12. Balboni, , E., , J. Ford, R. Tingley, K. Toomey, and J. Vytal, "An empirical study of radio propagation aboard naval vessels," IEEE-APS Conf. on Ant. and Propagat. for Wireless Commun., 157-160, 2000.
13. Mao, X. H., , Y. H. Lee, and B. C. Ng, "Wideband channel characterization along lift shaft onboard a ship," IEEE Int. Symposium on Ant. and Propagat., 1-4, 2010.
14. Mao, , X. H., , Y. H. Lee, and B. C. Ng, "Study of propagation over two ends of a vessel in VHF band," Proceeding of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 1946-1949, 2010.
15. Li, , H. J., , H. C. Lin, C. C. Chen, T. Y. Liu, and Z. Y. Lane, "Determination of propagation mechanisms using wideband measurement techniques ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 283-289, 1998.
16. Akaike, , H., "On the likelihood of a time series model," The Statistician, Vol. 27, No. 3--4, 217-235, 1978.
17. Schuster, , U. G. and H. Bolcskei, "Ultrawideband channel modelling on the basis of information-theoretic criteria," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 6, No. 7, 2464-2475, 2007.
18. Lienard, , M. and P. Degauque, "Natural wave propagation in mine environments," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 9, 1326-1339, 2000.
19. Semmar, , A., , J. Y. Chouinard, V. H. Pham, X. B. Wang, Y. Y. Wu, and S. Lafleche, "Digital Broadcasting television channel measurements and characterization for SIMO mobile reception," IEEE Trans. Broadcasting, Vol. 52, No. 4, 450-563, 2006.
20. Rappaport, T. S., "Characterization of UHF multipath radio channels in factory buildings," IEEE Trans. Ant. and Propagat., Vol. 37, No. 8, 1058-1069, 1989.
21. Bals, , J., , R. M. Lorenzo, P. Fernandez, and E. J. Abril, "A novel matric to analyze propagation models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 91, 101-121, 2009.