This paper proposes a compact printed ultra-wideband (UWB) multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna with a dimension of 38 x 91 mm2. The presented UWB-MIMO antenna is comprised of two identical patch elements with D separation distance on the same substrate. The basic single antenna structure has a novel design comprising seven circles surrounding a center circle with partial ground plane implementation. Furthermore, the experimental antenna has peak gain of 5.3 dBi between an operating frequency of 2.8 GHz and 8.0 GHz under a minimum reflection coefficient of less than -10 dB (S11<-10 dB). Moreover, the antenna successfully achieved mutual coupling minimization of < -17 dB, eventually resulting in enhancement of radiation efficiency. Besides, the UWB-MIMO's correlation coefficient was effectively reduced to less than -22 dB, which reflected an improvement in the antenna's diversity. In this paper, the proposed antenna is examined both numerically and experimentally.
2. Chen, , D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
3. Lee, , J. N. and J. K. Park, "Compact UWB chip antenna design using the coupling concept," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 341-351, 2009.
4. Choi, S. H., , J. K. Park, S. K. Kim, and J. Y. Park, "A new ultra-wideband antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 5, 2004.
5. Sadat, , S., M. Houshmand, and M. Roshandel, "Design of a microstrip square-ring slot antenna filled by an H-shape slot for UWB applications ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 131-198, 2007.
7. Ge, , J. and W. Yanagisawa, "A novel compact ultrawideband antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propogation, Vol. 57, No. 2, 2009.
8. Low, X. N., , Z. N. Chen, and T. S. P. See, "A UWB dipole antenna with enhanced impedance and gain performance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2009.
9. Ghanem, F., , J. R. Kelly, and P. S. Hall, "Switched UWB to narrowband planar monopole antenna," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 12-16, 2010.
10. Sadat, , S., , M. Fardis, F. G. Geran, and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
11. Dong, , L., H. Choo, R. W. Heath, Jr., and H. Ling, "Simulation of MIMO channel capacity with antenna polarization diversity," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication, Vol. 4, No. 4, 2005.
12. Manteuffel, , D., "MIMO antenna design challenges," 2009 Lough-borough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 2009.
13. See, , T. S. P., , A. M. L. Swee, and Z. N. Chen, "Correlation analysis of UWB MIMO antenna system configurations," Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International Conference on Ultra-wideband, Vol. 2, 2008.
14. Abou-Rjeily, , C., "Pulse antenna permutation and pulse antenna modulation: Two novel diversity schemes for achieving very high data-rates with unipolar MIMO-UWB communications," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 27, No. 8, 2009.
15. Zhou, , X., , R. Li, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A compact broadband MIMO antenna for mobile handset applications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 2010.
16. Najam, , A. I., , Y. Duroc, and S. Tedjini, "Design & characterization of an antenna system for UWB-MIMO communications systems," Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference , 2010.
17. Manteghi, , M. and Y. Rahmat, "Multiport characteristics of a wide-band cavity backed annular patch antenna for multipolarization operations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 2005.
18. Najam, , A. I., , Y. Duroc, J. F. A. Leao, and S. Tedjini, "A novel co-located antennas system for UWB-MIMO applications," Proc. IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 2009.
19. Panda, , J. R., , P. Kakumanu, and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A wide-band monopole antenna in combination with a UWB microwave band-pass ¯lter for application in UWB communication system ," Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON), 2010 .
20. Yoon, , J., , D. Kim, and C. Park, "Implementation of UWB antenna with bnadpass filter using microstrip-to-CPW transition matching," Microwave Conference, APMC 2009, 2009.
21. Najam, A. I., , Y. Duroc, and S. Tedjni, "UWB-MIMO antenna with novel stub structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research c, Vol. 19, 245-257, 2011.
22. See, T. S. P., A. M. L. Swee, and Z. N. Chen, "Correlation analysis of UWB MIMO antenna system configurations," Proceedings of the 2008, IEEE International Conference on Ultra-wideband (ICUWB2008), Vol. 2, 2008.
23. Jamlos, M. F., , O. A. Aziz, T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, P. Saad, M. T. Ali, and M. N. Md Tan, "A beam steering radial line slot array (RLSA) antenna with reconfigurable operating frequency ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 24, No. 8--9, 1079-1088, 2010.
24. Jamlos, , M. F., T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, P. Saad, M. A. Shamsudin, and A. M. M. Dahlan, "A novel adaptive Wi-Fi system with RFID," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 417-432, 2010.
25. Jamlos, M. F., , O. A. Aziz, T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, P. Saad, M. T. Ali, and M. N. Md Tan, "A reconfigurable radial line slot array (RLSA) antenna for beam shape and broadside application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8--9, 1171-1189, 2010.
26. Jamlos, , M. F., , T. B. A. Rahman, M. R. B. Kamarudin, P. Saad, O. Abdul Aziz, and M. A. Shamsudin, "Adaptive beam steering of RLSA antenna with RFID technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 65-80, 2010.
27. Zhang, , S., , Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 2009.
28. Mokhtaari, , M. , and J. Bornemann, "Directional ultra-wideband antennas for planar technologies," Proceedings of the 38th European Microwave Conference, 2008.
29. Rosengren, , K. and P.-S. Kildal, "Radiation effciency, correlation, diversity gain and capacity of a six monopole antenna array for a MIMO system: Theory, simulation and measurement in reverberation chamber," IEE Proceedings Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 153, No. 6, 2006.
30. Ko, , S. C. K. , R. D. Murch, and , "Compact integrated diversity antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions and Antennas Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 6, 954-960, 2001.