The design, fabrication and measurement of a reconfigurable fishnet metamaterial based on a new method of tuning by changing unit cell geometry is reported. Retractable elements are added to the unit cell utilizing pneumatically actuated switching. It is shown that the pneumatic actuation approach can unite a number of metallic elements into a complex conducting structure. Experimental demonstration confirms that the structure operates at two different frequencies in the GHz range in distinct actuation states. The measured results also show good agreement with numerical simulations.
2. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001.
3. Kafesaki, M., I. Tsiapa, N. Katsarakis, T. Koschny, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. N. Economou, "Left-handed metamaterials: The fish-net structure and its variations," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 75, No. 23, 2007.
4. Valentine, J., S. Zhang, T. Zentgraf, E. Ulin-Avila, D. A. Genov, G. Bartal, and X. Zhang, "Three-dimensional optical metamaterial with a negative refractive index," Nature, Vol. 455, No. 7211, 376-379, 2008.
5. Driscoll, T., S. Palit, M. M. Qazilbash, M. Brehm, F. Keilmann, B. G. Chae, S. J. Yun, H. T. Kim, S. Y. Cho, N. M. Jokerst, D. R. Smith, and D. N. Basov, "Dynamic tuning of an infrared hybrid-metamaterial resonance using vanadium dioxide," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 2, 2008.
6. Chen, H. T., J. F. O'Hara, A. K. Azad, A. J. Taylor, R. D. Averitt, D. B. Shrekenhamer, and W. J. Padilla, "Experimental demonstration of frequency-agile terahertz metamaterials," Nature Photon., Vol. 2, No. 5, 295-298, 2008.
7. Ding, P., E. J. Liang, W. Q. Hu, L. Zhang, Q. Zhou, and Q. Z. Xue, "Numerical simulations of terahertz double-negative metamaterial with isotropic-like fishnet structure," Photon. Nanostruct: Fundam. Appl., Vol. 7, No. 2, 92-100, 2009.
8. Khodasevych, I. E., W. S. T. Rowe, and A. Mitchell, A reconfigurable fishnet metamaterial design using MEMS principle, 4th Int. Congr. on Adv. Electromagn. Materials in Microwaves and Optics, Metamaterials, 459-461, Karlsruhe, 2010.
9. Ekmekci, E., K. Topalli, T. Akin, and G. Turhan-Sayan, "A tunable multi-band metamaterial design using micro-split SRR structures," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 18, 16046-16058, 2009.
10. He, X., Y. Wang, J. Wang, and T. Gui, "MEMS switches controlled multi-split ring resonator as a tunable metamaterial component," Microsyst. Technol., Vol. 16, No. 11, 1831-1837, 2010.
11. Jeong, O. C. and S. Konishi, "Fabrication and drive test of pneumatic PDMS micro pump," Sensors and Actuators A, Vol. 135, No. 2, 849-856, 2007.
12. Werber, A. and H. Zappe, "Tunable pneumatic microoptics," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 17, No. 5, 1218-1227, 2008.
13. Ramakrishna, S. A. and T. M. Gregorczyk, Physics and Applications of Negative Refractive Index Materials, SPIE Press, Belligham, Washington USA, 2009.
14. Alici, K. B. and E. Ozbay, "Characterization and tilted response of a fishnet metamaterial operating at 100 GHz," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 41, No. 13, 135011, 2008.
15. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, No. 19, 1951041-1951045, 2002.