This paper presents characterization and modeling of microwave characteristics of SiC foam material. Transmission and reflection measurements are performed in X, K and Ka band for the samples of two different pore sizes and three different thicknesses. Effective and frequency dependent dielectric permittivity is extracted for 50PPI 10 mm sample, while for the other samples it was not possible because of density gradient in the samples. By calculation of Mie scattering efficiencies approximate magnitude of dominant loss mechanism (scattering or absorption) at certain frequencies is predicted.
2. Wang, J., et al., "Three-dimensional metamaterial microwave absorbers composed of coplanar magnetic and electric resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 15-24, 2009.
3. Ramprecht, J., M. Norgren, and D. Sjoberg, "Scattering from a thin magnetic layer with a periodic lateral magnetization: Application to electromagnetic absorbers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 199-224, 2008.
4. Harris, C. I., et al., "Progress towards SiC products," Applied Surface Science, No. 184, 393-398, 2001.
5. Siegel, P. H., R. H. Tufas, and P. Goy, "A simple millimeter wave blackbody load," Ninth International Conference on Space THz Technology, March 17--19, 1998.
6. Klaassen, T. O., et al., "Optical characterization of absorbing coatings for submillimeter radiation," 12th International Conference on Space THz Technology, February 14--16, 2001.
7. Zhao, D. L., F. Luo, and W. C. Zhou, "Microwave absorbing property and complex permittivity of nano SiC particles doped with nitrogen," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 490, 190-194, 2010.
8. Su, X., et al., "Improvement of permittivity of SiC with Al doping by combustion synthesis using Al2O3," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 492, L16-L19, 2010.
9. Zhang, H., J. Zhang, and H. Zhang, "Numerical predictions for radar absorbing silicon carbide foams using a finite integration technique with a perfect boundary approximation," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 15, 759-766, 2006.
10. Zhang, H., J. Zhang, and H. Zhang, "Computation of radar absorbing silicon carbide foams and their silica matrix composites," Computational Materials Science, Vol. 38, 857-864, 2007.
11. Shvets, G., "Photonic approach to making a material with a negative index of refraction," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 67, No. 3, 2003.
12. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Hufman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2004.
13. Mätzler, C., MATLAB Functions for Mie Scattering and Absorption, No. 2002-08, IAP Research Report, Institut für Angewandte Physik, Universität Bern, 2002.
14. Sihvola, A., Electromagnetic Mixing Formulas and Applications, IEE Electromagnetic Waves Series 47, London, 1999.
15. Watari, K., et al., "Effect of grain boundaries on thermal conductivity of silicone carbide ceramic at 5 to 1300 K," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., Vol. 86, No. 10, 1812-1814, 2003.
16. Takeuchi, Y., et al., "RF dielectric properties of SIC ceramics and their application to design of HOM absorbers," Proceedings of the Particle Accelerator Conference, 1195-1197, May 16--20, 2005.
17. Kaatze, U., "Techniques for measuring the microwave dielectric properties of materials," Metrologia, Vol. 47, No. 2, S91-S113, 2010.
18. Kumar, A. and G. Singh, "Measurement of dielectric constant and loss factor of the dielectric material at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 47-54, 2007.
19. Göllei, A., et al., Apparatus and method to measure dielectric properties (ε‘ and ε’‘) of ionic liquids, Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 80, No. 044703, American Institute of Physics, 2009.
20. Mätzler, C., "Eddy currents in heterogeneous mixtures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 2, No. 5--6, 473-479, 1988.
21. Molenberg, I., et al., Foamed nanocomposites for EMI shielding applications, Advanced Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technologies: Semiconductor Devices, Circuits and Systems, Intech, March 2010.