Most of the current imaging methods in microwave induced thermoacoustic tomography (MITAT) system assume that the heterogeneous sound velocity (SV) and density distribution are given or subject to Gaussian distribution. These situations generally are not satisfied. To improve multi-targets thermoacoustic sources imaging quality in a heterogeneous tissue, an iterative TR adjoint imaging method is proposed. The proposed iterative TR adjoint method can reconstruct thermoacoustic sources from the measured data even if the prior heterogeneous information of the tissue is unknown. This method estimates misfit between synthesized and observed measured signals, and iteratively updates supposed model parameters which give the heterogeneous tissue structure. In this iterative procedure, error kernels of SV, density and the approximate point source position information can be obtained independently. After the time of flight (TOF) convergence criterion is reached, a regular time reversal (TR) method with updated model will give out the final imaging result. The proposed TR adjoint imaging method is based on strictly theoretical derivation, and some simulations are presented to validate the method.
2. Guo, B., Y. Wang, J. Li, P. Stoica, and R. Wu, "Microwave imaging via adaptive beamforming methods for breast cancer detection," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 53-63, 2006.
3. Catapano, I., L. Di Donato, L. Crocco, O. M. Bucci, A. F. Morabito, T. Isernia, and R. Massa, "On quantitative microwave tomography of female breast," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 75-93, 2009.
4. Chen, G., Z. Zhao, W. Gong, Z. Nie, and Q. Liu, "The development of the microwave-induced thermo-acoustic tomography prototype system," Chinese Science Bulletin, Vol. 52, No. 12, 1786-1789, 2009.
5. Kruger, R. A., W. L. Kiser, D. R. Reinecke, G. A. Kruger, and R. L. Eisenhart, "Thermoacoustic computed tomography of the breast at 434 MHz," IEEE MIT-S Digest, Vol. 2, 591-595, 1999.
6. Hristova, Y., P. Kuchment, and L. Nguyen, "Reconstruction and time reversal in thermoacoustic tomography in acoustically homogeneous and inhomogeneous media," Inverse Problems, Vol. 24, No. 5, 055006-055032, 2008.
7. Treeby, B. E., J. G. Laufer, E. Z. Zhang, F. C. Norrisy, M. F. Lythgoey, P. C. Beard, and B. T. Cox, "Acoustic attenuation compensation in photoacoustic tomography: Application to high-resolution 3D imaging of vascular networks in mice," Photons Plus Ultrasound: Imaging and Sensing, edited by Alexander A. Oraevsky, Lihong V. Wang, Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 7899, 78992Y-1-9, 2011.
8. Tape, C., Q. Liu, and J. Tromp, "Finite-frequency tomography using adjoint methods --- Methodology and examples using membrane surface waves," Geophysical Journal International, Vol. 168, 1105-1129, 2007.
9. Norton, S. J., "Iterative inverse scattering algorithms: methods of computing Frechet derivatives," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 106, No. 5, 2653-2660, 1999.
10. Kunyansky, L., "Fast reconstruction algorithms for the thermoacoustic tomography in certain domains with cylindrical or spherical symmetries," Inverse Problems and Imaging, Vol. 6, No. 1, 111-131, 2011.
11. Qian, J., P. Stefanov, G. Uhlmann, and H. Zhao, "An efficient Neumann-series based algorithm for thermoacoustic and photoacoustic tomography with variable sound speed," SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences, Vol. 4, No. 3, 850-883, 2011.
12. Zhang, Z. and W. Dou, "A compact THz scanning imaging system based on improved reverse-microscope system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8, 1045-1057, 2010.
13. Wang, J., Z. Zhao, J. Song, X. Zhu, Z.-P. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "Reconstruction of microwave absorption properties in heterogeneous tissue for microwave-induced thermo-acoustic tomography," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 225-240, 2012.
14. Fink, M., "Time-reversed acoustics," Physics Today, Vol. 50, No. 3, 34-40, 1997.
15. Bal, G. and L. Ryzhik, "Time reversal and refocusing in random environment," SIAM Appl. Math., Vol. 63, 1375-1498, 2003.
16. Everett, H. I. I. I., "Generalized lagrange multiplier method for solving problems of optimum allocation of resources," Operations Research, Vol. 11, No. 3, 399-417, 1963.
17. Chen, G.-P., W.-B. Yu, Z.-Q. Zhao, Z.-P. Nie, and Q.-H. Liu, "The characteristics and affects of the microwave-induced thermoacoustic signals in time and frequency domain," Chinese of Journal Electronics, Vol. 38, No. 3, 689-694, 2010.
18. Liu, Q. H., "The PSTD Algorithm: A time-domain method requiring only two cells per wavelength," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 15, No. 3, 158-165, 1997.