The problem of characterizing random sources from near-field measurements and of devising the random field sampling procedure is tackled by a stochastic approach. The presented technique is an extension of that introduced in [A. Capozzoli, et al., Field sampling and field reconstruction: a new perspective, Radio Sci., vol. 45, 2010] and successfully adopted to experimentally characterize deterministic (CW and multi-frequency) radiators and fields. Under the assumption that the source is wide sense stationary, quasi-monochromatic and incoherent, its intensity is reconstructed by time-domain field measurements aimed at extracting information from the mutual coherence of the acquired near-field. The linear relation between the field coherence and the source intensity is inverted by using the Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) approach, properly representing the source intensity distribution by exploiting the a priori information (e.g., its size and shape) on the radiator. The sampling of the radiated random field is devised by a singular value optimization procedure of the relevant finite dimensional linear operator. Experimental results using a slotted reverberation chamber as incoherent source assess the performance of the approach.
"Experimental Field Reconstruction of Incoherent Sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 47, 219-239, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12072505
1. Clayton, R. P., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, J. Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2006.
2. Fang, H., S. Changsheng, L. Deyun, and L. Guoding, "Measurement of radiated emission from PC computer system," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on Electromag. Compat., 208-209, Cherry Hill, NJ, USA, Aug. 12-16, 1991.
3. Criel, S., L. Martens, and D. De Zutter, "Theoretical and experimental near-field characterization of perforated shields," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 36, No. 3, 161-168, Aug. 1994. doi:10.1109/15.305460
4. Slattery, K. P., J. W. Neal, and W. Cui, "Near-field measurements f VLSI devices," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 41, No. 4, 374-384, Nov. 1999. doi:10.1109/15.809825
5. Antonini, G., S. Cristina, and A. Orlandi, "EMC characterization of SMPS devices: Circuit and radiated emissions model," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 38, No. 3, 300-309, Aug. 1996. doi:10.1109/15.536059
6. Beghou, L., B. Liu, L. Pichon, and F. Costa, "Synthesis of equivalent 3-D models from near field measurements application to the EMC of power printed circuit boards ," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 45, No. 3, 1650-1653, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012767
7. De Daran, F., J. Chollet-Ricard, F. Lafon, and O. Maurice, "Prediction of the field radiated at one meter from PCB's and microprocessors from near EM field cartography ," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on Electromag. Compat., 479-482, Istanbul, Turkey, May 11-16, 2003.
8. Corona, P., J. Ladbury, and G. Latmiral, "Reverberation-chamber research-then and now: A review of early work and comparison with current understanding," IEEE Trans. on Electromag. Compat., Vol. 44, No. 1, 87-94, Feb. 2002. doi:10.1109/15.990714
9. Sreenivasiah, I., D. C. Chang, and M. T. Ma, "Emission characteristics of electrically small radiating sources from tests inside a TEM cell," IEEE Trans. on Electromag. Compat., Vol. 23, No. 3, 113-121, Aug. 1981. doi:10.1109/TEMC.1981.303930
10. Koepke, G., D. Hill, and J. Ladbury, "Directivity of the test device in EMC measurements," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on Electromag. Compat., 535-539, Washington, DC, USA, Aug. 21-25, 2000.
11. Bolomey, J. C., Introduction to near-field techniques for EMC applications: State of the art and prospectives, Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on Electromag. Compat., 356, Montreal, CA, Aug. 13-17, 2001.
12. Regué, J.-R., M. Ribó, J. M. Garrell, and A. Martín, "A genetic algorithm based method for source identification and far-field radiated emissions prediction from near-field measurements for PCB characterization," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 43, No. 4, 520-530, Nov. 2001. doi:10.1109/15.974631
13. Baudry, D., C. Arcambal, A. Louis, B. Mazari, and P. Eudeline, "Applications of the near-field techniques in EMC investigations," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 3, 485-493, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2007.902194
14. Manjombe, Y. T., Y. Azzouz, D. Baudry, B. Ravelo, and M. E. H. Benbouzid, "Experimental investigation on the power electronic transistor parameters influence to the near-field radiation for the EMC applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 189-209, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11092302
15. Deschrijver, D., F. Vanhee, D. Pissoort, and T. Dhaene, "Automated near-field scanning algorithm for the EMC analysis of electronic devices," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 54, No. 3, 502-510, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2011.2163821
16. Chevallier, D., D. Baudry, and A. Louis, "Development of an optical near-field test bench for EMC application," Proc. of the Int. Symp. on Electromagn. Compat., 531-536, York, UK, Sep. 26-30, 2012.
17. Laurin, J. J., Z. Ouardhiri, and J. Colinas, "Near-field imaging of radiated emission sources on printed-circuit boards," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on Electromagn. Compat., 368-373, Montreal, CA, Aug. 13-17, 2001.
18. Taaghol, A. and T. Sarkar, "Near-field to near/far-field transfor-mation for arbitrary near-field geometry, utilizing an equivalent magnetic current ," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 38, No. 3, 536-542, Aug. 1996. doi:10.1109/15.536088
19. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, G. D'Elia, and A. Liseno, "Singular-value optimization in plane-polar near-field antenna characterization," IEEE Antennas Prop. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 103-112, Apr. 2010.
21. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, A. Liseno, and P. Vinetti, "Field sampling and field reconstruction: A new perspective," Radio Sci., Vol. 45, RS6004, 2010, doi:10.1029/2009RS004298.
22. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, and A. Liseno, "Multi-frequency planar near-field scanning by means of Singular-Value Decomposition (SVD) optimization," IEEE Antennas Prop. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 212-221, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/MAP.2011.6157759
23. Fourestié, B., Z. Altman, J. C. Bolomey, J. Wiart, and F. Brouaye, "Statistical modal analysis applied to near-field measurements of random emissions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 50, No. 12, 1803-1812, Dec. 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.807495
24. De Jongh, R. V., M. Hajian, and L. P. Ligthart, "Antenna time-domain techniques," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 39, No. 5, 7-12, Oct. 1997.
25. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, G. D'Elia, and A. Liseno, "Phaseless antenna characterization by effective aperture field and data representations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 57, No. 1, 215-230, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2009647
26. Fourestié, B., J. C. Bolomey, T. Sarrebourse, Z. Altman, and J. Wiart, "Spherical near field facility for characterizing random emissions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2582-2589, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851847
27. Gennarelli, C., M. Migliaccio, and C. Savarese, "On the interpolation of stochastic E. M. fields,", 1622-1625, Seattle, WA, Jun. 20-24, 1994.
28. LaHaie, I. J., Inverse source problem for three-dimensional partially coherent sources and fields, Vol. 2, No. 1, 35, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A.
, , Jan. 1985. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.2.000035
29. Goodman, J. W., Introduction to Fourier Optics, McGraw-Hill, San Francisco, CA, 1968.
30. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, A. Esposito, and A. Liseno, Field sampling of incoherent sources, Proc. of the Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., 1646-1649, Spokane, WA, Jul. 3-8, 2011.
31. Jones, D. S. J., Methods in Electromagnetic Wave Propagation, IEEE Press, New York, NY, 1995.
32. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, 7th Ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1999.
33. Devaney, A. J., "The inverse problem for random sources," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 20, No. 8, 1687-1691, 1979. doi:10.1063/1.524277
34. Landau, H. J. and H. O. Pollak, "Prolate spheroidal wave functions, Fourier analysis and uncertainty III: The dimension of essentially time- and band-limited signals," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 41, 1295-1336, Jul. 1962.
35. Marks, D. L., R. A. Stack, and D. J. Brady, "Three-dimensional coherence imaging in the Fresnel domain," Appl. Opt., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1332-1342, Mar. 1999. doi:10.1364/AO.38.001332
36. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, IEEE Press, New York, 1991.
37. Hansen, T. B. and A. D. Yaghjian, "Planar near-field scanning in the time domain, Part 1: Formulation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 42, No. 9, 1280-1291, Sep. 1994. doi:10.1109/8.318649
38. Harrington, R. F., Time-harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, IEEE Press, New York, 2001.
39. LaHaie, I. J., "Uniqueness of the inverse source problem for quasi-homogeneous, partially coherent sources," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1073-1079, Jul. 1986. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.3.001073
40. Hoenders, B. J. and H. P. Baltes, "On the existence of non-radiating frequencies in the radiation from a stochastic current distribution," J. Phys. A: Math. Gen., Vol. 13, No. 3, 995-1006, Mar. 1980. doi:10.1088/0305-4470/13/3/032
41. Helstrom, C. W., "Modal decomposition of aperture fields in detection and estimation of incoherent objects," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 60, No. 4, 521-530, Apr. 1970. doi:10.1364/JOSA.60.000521
42. Twomey, S., "The application of numerical filtering to the solution of integral equations encountered in indirect sensing measurements," J. Franklin Inst., Vol. 279, No. 2, 95-109, 1965. doi:10.1016/0016-0032(65)90209-7
43. Bertero, M. and P. Boccacci, Introduction to Inverse Problems in Imaging, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol, UK, 1998.
44. Gori, F. and G. Guattari, "Shannon number and degrees of freedom of an image," Opt. Commun., Vol. 7, No. 2, 163-165, Feb. 1973. doi:10.1016/0030-4018(73)90091-6
45. Kildal, P. S. and K. Rosengren, "Correlation and capacity of MIMO systems and mutual coupling, radiation efficiency, and diversity gain of their antennas: Simulations and measurements in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 12, 104-112, Dec. 2004. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2004.1367562
46. Hill, D. A., "Plane wave integral representation for fields in reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 40, No. 3, 209-217, Aug. 1998. doi:10.1109/15.709418
47. Rahmat-Samii, Y., V. Galindo-Israel, and R. Mittra, "A plane-polar approach for far-field construction from near-field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 28, No. 2, 216-230, Mar. 1980. doi:10.1109/TAP.1980.1142316
48. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, and A. Liseno, Multi-frequency, multi-resolution and probe compensated advanced near-field antenna characterization, Proc. of the Europ. Conf. on Antennas Prop., 2542-2546, Prague, Czech Republic, Mar. 26-30, 2012.
49. International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), CISPR 16: Specifications for radio disturbance and immunity measuring apparatus and methods, 2010.
50. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, G. D'Elia, F. Ferrara, C. Gennarelli, R. Guerriero, and A. Liseno, "A probe compensated helicoidal NF-FF transformation for aperture antennas using a prolate spheroidal expansion," Int. J. of Antennas Prop., Vol. 2012, Article ID 753156, 13 pages, 2012, doi:10.1155/2012/753156.
51. Bucci, O. M., A. Capozzoli, G. D'Elia, and A. Liseno, "Mapping the electromagnetic field intensity at the ground: Analysis of an incoherent scene and extension to a partially coherent scenario," Proc. of the XVI Riunione Nazionale di Elettromagnetismo, 388-391, Genoa, Italy, Sep. 18-21, 2006.
52. A new, non perturbing system, for the measurement of high frequency electromagnetic fields, National Coordinator: G. D'Elia, Progetto di Rilevante Interesse Nazionale, Research Program Funded by the Italian Ministry for University and Research, Apr. 2005.