Singular value decomposition and information theoretic criterion based clutter reduction is proposed for ground penetrating radar imaging. The scheme is capable of discriminating target, clutter and noise subspaces. Information theoretic criterion is used with conventional singular value decomposition to nd target singular values. Proposed scheme works also for extracting multiple targets in heavy cluttered images. Simulation results are compared on the basis of mean square error, peak signal to noise ratio and visual inspection.
2. Daniels, D. J., Ground Penetrating Radar, IEE, UK, 2004.
3. Abujarad, F., "Ground penetrating radar signal processing for landmine detection,", Ph.D. Thesis, 2007.
4. Oguz, U. and L. Gurel, "Frequency response of ground penetrating radars operating over highly lossy grounds," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 40, No. 6, 1385-1394, 2002.
5. Gurel, L. and U. Oguz, "Simulations of ground-penetrating radar over lossy and heterogeneous grounds," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 39, No. 6, 1190-1197, 2001.
6. Potin, D., E. Duflos, and P. Vanheeghe, "Landmines groundpenetrating radar signal enhancement by digital filtering," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 9, 2393-2406, 2006.
7. Rahman, M. and K. B. Yu, "Total least squares approach for frequency estimation using linear prediction," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 35, 1440-1445, 1987.
8. Ho, K. C., P. D. Gader, and J. N. Wilson, "Improving landmine detection using frequency domain features form ground penetrating radar," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 3, 1617-1620, 2004.
9. Gupta, I. J., A. V. Merwe, and C. C. Chen, "Extraction of complex resonances associated with buried targets," SPIE Detection Remediation Technology Mines and Mine-Like Targets III, Vol. 3392, 568-580, Jul. 1997.
10. Carevic, D. D., M. Craig, and I. Chant, "Modelling GPR echoes from land mines using linear combination of exponentially damped sinusoids," SPIE Detection Remediation Technology Mines and Mine-Like Targets II, 1022-1032, Sep. 1998.
11. Farina, A. and A. Protopa, "New results on linear prediction for clutter cancellation," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, No. 3, 275-285, 1998.
12. Merwe, A. V. and I. J. Gutpa, "A novel signal processing technique for clutter reduction in GPR measurements of small, shallow land mines," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 6, 2627-2637, 2000.
13. Gamba, P. and S. Lossani, "Neural detection of pipe signature in ground penetrating radar images," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 2, 790-797, 2000.
14. Vicen-Bueno, R., R. Carrasco-Alvarez, M. Rosa-Zurera, and J. C. Nieto-Borge, "Sea clutter reduction and target enhancement by neural networks in a marine radar system," Sensors, Vol. 9, 1913-1936, 2009.
15. Vicen-Bueno, R., M. Rosa-Zurera, M. P. Jarabo-Amores, and R. Gil-Pita, "Automatic target detection in simulated ground clutter (Weibull distributed) by multilayer perceptrons in a low-resolution coherent radar," IET Radar, Sonar, and Navigation, Vol. 4, 315-328, 2010.
16. Ho, K. and P. D. Garder, "A linear prediction landmine detection algorithm for hand held ground penetrating radar," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 40, No. 6, 1374-1384, 2002.
17. Gader, P. D., M. Mystkowski, and Y. Zhao, "Landmine detection with ground penetrating radar using hidden Markov models," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 39, No. 6, 1231-1243, 2001.
18. Zoubir, M., I. J. Chant, C. L. Brown, B. Barkat, and C. Abeynayake, "Signal processing techniques for landmine detection using impulse ground penetrating radar," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 2, 41-51, 2002.
19. Dogaru, T. and L. Carin, "Time domain sensing of targets buried under a rough air-ground interface," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 46, 360-372, 1998.
20. Liseno, A., F. Tartaglione, and F. Soldovieri, "Shape reconstruction of 2-D buried objects under a Kirchhoff approximation," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 1, 118-121, 2004.
21. Pierri, R., A. Liseno, R. Solimene, and F. Soldovieri, "Beyond physical optics SVD shape reconstruction of metallic cylinders," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 45, 655-665, 2006.
22. Cagnoly, B. and T. J. Ulrych, "Singular value decomposition and wavy reflections in ground-penetrating radar images of base surge deposits," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 48, No. 3, 175-182, 2001.
23. Karlsen, B. , B. D. Sorensen, J. Larsen, and K. B. Jakobson, "Independent component analysis for clutter reduction in ground penetrating radar data," SPIE Aerosense, Vol. 4742, 378-389, 2002.
24. Kabourek, V., P. Cerny, and M. Mazanek, "Clutter reduction based on principal component analysis technique for hidden objects detection," Radioengineering, Vol. 21, 464-470, 2012.
25. Karlsen, B., B. D. Sorensen, J. Larsen, and K. B. Jakobson, "GPR detection of buried symmetrically shaped mine-like objects using selective independent component analysis," SPIE Detection Remediation Technology Mines and Mine-Like Targets Aerosense, Vol. 5089, 375-386, 2003.
26. Karlsen, B., J. Larsen, B. D. Sorensen, and K. B. Jakobsen, "Comparison of PCA and ICA based clutter reduction in GPR systems for anti-personal landmine detection," 11th IEEE Signal Processing Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing, 146-149, 2001.
27. Ebihara, S., "Blind seperation for estimation of near-surface interface by GPR with time-frequency distribution," IEICE Transactions on Communications, Vol. E86-B, 3071-3081, 2003.
28. Abujarad, F., G. Nadin, and A. Omar, "Clutter reduction and detection of landmine objects in ground penetrating radar using singular value decomposition (SVD)," International Workshop on Advanced Ground Penetrating Radar, 37-42, May 2-3, 2005.
29. Zhao, A., Y. Jiang, W. Wang, and X. Jiaotong, "Exploring independent component analysis for GPR signal processing," PIERS Proceedings, 750-753, Hangzhou, China, Aug. 22-26, 2005.
30. Moor, B. D., "The singular value decomposition and long and short spaces of noisy matrices," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 9, 2826-2838, 1993.
31. Konstantinides, K. and K. Yao, "Statistical analysis of effective singular values in matrix rank determination," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 36, No. 5, 757-763, 1998.
32. Trees, H. L. V., Optimum Array Processing, John Wiely, UK, 2003.
33. Wax, M., T. Kailath, and , "Detection of signals by information theoretic criteria," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics Speech Signal Processing, Vol. 33, No. 2, 387-392, 1985.