An accurate numerical model, based on multiconductor transmission lines (MTL) able to evaluate the voltage dynamics across the motor bearings and associated currents of an inverter-fed motor is presented. A full three phase stator winding of the wound type of a high power traction motor is considered in the proposed analysis. The different regions of the motor are modeled as suitable connections of lossy MTL which are then studied in the time domain. The per unit length characteristic matrices describing the MTL are accurately calculated by a FEM based software. The effects of the rise time of the input voltage and the length of the feeder cables are discussed. The reliability of the numerical results achieved by means of the MTL model is checked by performing a comparison with those obtained by considering a lumped parameter equivalent circuit.
2. Kaufhold, M., H. Auinger, M. Berth, J. Speck, and M. Eberhardt, "Electrical stress and failure mechanism of the winding insulation in PWM-inverter-fed low-voltage induction motors," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 47, No. 2, 396-402, 2000.
3. Cavallini, A., D. Fabiani, and G. C. Montanari, "Power electronics and electrical insulation systems --- Part 1: Phenomenology overview," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, Vol. 26, No. 3, 7-15, 2010.
4. Melfi, M., A. M. J. Sung, S. Bell, and G. L. Skibinski, "Effect of surge voltage risetime on the insulation of low-voltage machines fed by PWM converters," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 34, 766-775, 1998.
5. Lipo, T. A., G. Venkataramanan, and S. Bernet, "High-frequency modeling for cable and induction motor overvoltage studies in long cable drives," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 38, No. 5, 1297-1306, 2002.
6. Lupµo, G., C. Petrarca, V. Tucci, and M. Vitelli, "Multiconductor transmission line analysis of steep-front surges in machine windings," IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 9, No. 3, 467-478, 2000.
7. Haq, S. U., S. H. Jayaram, and E. A. Cherney, "Evaluation of medium voltage enameled wire exposed to fast repetitive voltage pulses," IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 14, No. 1, 194-203, 2007.
8. Zhang, P., Y. Du, T. G. Habetler, and B. Lu, "A survey of condition monitoring and protection methods for medium-voltage induction motors," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 47, No. 1, 34-46, 2011.
9. Muetze, A., "Thousands of hits: On inverter-induced bearing currents, related work, and the literature," Elektrotechnik & Informationstechnik, Vol. 128, No. 11-12, 382-388, 2011.
10. Muetze, A. and A. Binder, "Techniques for measurement of parameters related to inverter-induced bearing currents," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 43, No. 5, 1274-1283, 2007.
11. Muetze, A. and A. Binder, "Scaling effects of inverter-induced bearing currents in AC machines," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 44, No. 4, 965-972, 2008.
12. Muetze, A. and A. Binder, "Calculation of circulating bearing currents in machines of inverter-based drive systems," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 2, 932-938, 2007.
13. Muetze, A. and A. Binder, "Practical rules for assessment of inverter-induced bearing currents in inverter-fed AC motors up to 500 kW," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1614-1622, 2007.
14. Di Piazza, M. C., A. Ragusa, and G. Vitale, "Power-loss evaluation in CM active EMI filters for bearing current suppression," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 10, 5142-5143, 2011.
15. Ferreira, F. J. T., M. V. Cistelecan, and A. T. de Almeida, "Evaluation of slot-embedded partial electrostatic shield for high-frequency bearing current mitigation in inverter-fed induction motors," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 27, No. 2, 382-390, 2012.
16. Ahmed, A. S. and G. Skibinski, "Design and analysis of an integrated differential-common mode filter for on site motor bearing problems," 2011 IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC), 283-289, 2011.
17. Naik, R., T. A. Nondhal, M. Melfi, R. Schiferl, and J. Wang, "Circuit model for shaft voltage prediction in induction motors fed by PWM-based AC drives," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 39, No. 5, 1294-1299, 2003.
18. Wright, M. T., S. J. Yang, and K. McLealy, "General theory of fast-fronted interturn voltage distribution in electrical machine windings," IEE Proceedings B --- Electric Power Applications, Vol. 130, 245-256, 1983.
19. Guardado, J. L., J. A. Flores, V. Venegas, J. L. Naredo, and F. A. Uribe, "A machine winding model for switching transient studies using network synthesis," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 20, No. 2, 322-328, 2005.
20. Petrarca, C., A. Maffucci, V. Tucci, and M. Vitelli, "Analysis of the voltage distribution in a motor stator winding subjected to steep-fronted surge voltages by means of a multiconductorlossy transmission line model," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 19, No. 1, 7-17, 2004.
21. De Vivo, B., C. Petrarca, V. Tucci, and M. Vitelli, "A multi conductor transmission line model for the evaluation of the rotor shaft voltages in adjustable speed drive motors," PIERS Proceedings, 236-240, Cambridge, MA, USA, Mar. 26-29, 2006.
22. De Vivo, B., "Valutazione degli effetti prodotti dall'utilizzo di inverter sui cuscinetti di motori da trazione asincroni,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Eng., University of Salerno, Italy, 2006 (in Italian).
23. Miano, G. and A. Maffucci, "Transmission Lines and Lumped Circuits: Fundamentals and Applications," Academic Press Inc., 2001.
24. Beneduce, L., G. Costabile, B. de Vivo, L. Egiziano, S. Iovieno, A. Masucci, V. Tucci, and M. Vitelli, "An accurate evaluation of electric discharge machining bearings currents in inverter-driven induction motors," European Conf. on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE 2007), 1-8, Aalborg, Denmark, 2007.
25. De Vivo, , B., L. Egiziano, P. Lamberti, and V. Tucci, "Influence of circuit parameters on the electric discharge machining of the bearings of a PWM inverter driver motor," International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drivers, Automation and Motion (SPEEDAM 2008), 1321-1324, Ischia, Italy, 2008.
26. Adabi, J., A. A. Boora, F. Zare, A. Nami, A. Ghosh, and F. Blaabjerg, "Common-mode voltage reduction in a motor drive system with a power factor correction," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 3, 366-375, 2012.
27. Busse, D., J. Erdman, R. J. Kerkman, D. Schlegel, and G. Skibinski, "Bearing currents and their relationship to PWM drives," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 2, 243-252, 1997.
28. Muetze, A., J. Tamminen, and J. Ahola, "Influence of motor operating parameters on discharge bearing current activity," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 47, No. 4, 2011.