The Least-Squares Boundary Residual Method is employed in the present paper to develop a computer model of the symmetrical six-port waveguide junction. The analytical formulation is difficult because of the insertion of a metallic post together with a dielectric sleeve into the over-sized cavity of the junction. Computational and experimental tests confirm that the resultant model is able to compute (with numerical accuracies of ±0.001 and ±0.1° for magnitude and phase respectively) the scattering parameters of such a structurally-complicated component.
2. Rebollar, , J. M., J. Esteban, and J. E. Page, "Full-wave analysis of three and four-port rectangular waveguide junctions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 42, 256-263, 1994.
3. Bogdanov, F. G., G. S. Kevanishvilli, G. V. Kekelia, and S. L. Prosvirni, "Analysis and design of cruciform waveguide junction with a conducting diaphragm and a dielectric layer in the main arm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 139-155, 2011.
4. San-Blass, A.-A., F. J. Perez, J. Gil, F. Mira, V. E. Boria, and B. Gimeno, "Full-wave analysis and design of broad-band turnstile junctions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 149-158, 2011.
5. Mansour, R. R. and R. H. Macphie, "Scattering at an N-furcated parallel-plate waveguide junction," IEEE Transactions n Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 33, 830-835, 1985.
6. Rozzi, T., A. Morini, G. Venanzoni, and M. Farina, "Full-wave analysis of N-way power dividers by eigenvalue decomposition," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 57, 1156-1162, 2009.
7. Khaddaj Mallat, N., E. Moldovan, and S. O. Tatu, "V-band quadrature phase-shift keying demodulator using WR-12 six-port," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 193-199, 2009.
8. Alessandri, F., M. Giordano, M. Guglielmi, G. Martirano, and F. Vitulli, "A new multi-tuned six-port Riblet-type directional coupler in rectangular waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 51, 1441-1448, 2003.
9. Gentili, G. G., R. Nesti, and G. Pelosi, "Analysis of six-port mode launchers for circular-waveguide corrugated-horn applications," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 17, 337-339, 1998.
10. Sabahialshoara, M., "Modeling and design of symmetrical six-port waveguide junction for six-port re°ectometer application,", Ph.D. Thesis, National University of Singapore, 2012, (copy available at http://scholarbank.nus.edu/handle/10635/34335).
11. Boria, V. E., S. Cogollos, H. Esteban, M. Guglielmi, and B. Gimeno, "Efficient analysis of a cubic junction of rectangular waveguides using admittance-matrix representation," IEE Proceedings on Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 147, 417-422, 2000.
12. Wessel, W., T. Sieverding, and F. Arndt, "Mode-matching analysis of general waveguide multi-port junctions," IEEE International Microwave Symposium, 1273-1276, 1999.
13. Wan, X. and Y. Liu, "Analysis and GA-based CAD techniques for multi-port branch-line couplers," International Conference on Microwave & Millimeterwave Technology, 717-720, 2002.
14. Bialkowski, M. E., "Analysis of an N-port consisting of a radial cavity and E-plane coupled rectangular waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 40, 1840-1843, 1992.
15. Helszajn, J., "Waveguide Junction Circulators --- Theory and Practice," Wiley, Chichester, 1998.
16. Toda, K., I. Ohta, and M. Kishihara, "H-plane crossed-waveguide hybrids," European Microwave Conference, 987-990, 2006.
17. Polewski, M. and J. Mazur, "Cylindrical obstacles in multi-port waveguide junctions," International Conference on Microwaves Radar & Wireless Communications, 455-458, 2002.
19. Yu, G., W. Wang, and S. Liu, "Study of cylindrical cavity used for frequency- or phase-locking vircators," SPIE Proceedings, Vol. 3158, 113-118, 1997.
19. Chang, K., M. Li, K. A. Hummer, and R.A. Speciale, "Low-loss waveguide four-port crossover circuit and its application for cross-slot antenna feed," Electronics Letters, Vol. 27, 997-998, 1991.
20. Montgomery, C. G., R. H. Dicke, and E. M. Purcell, "Principles of Microwave Circuits," McGraw-Hill, New York, 1948.
21. Chang, K., M. Li, K. A. Hummer, and R. A. Speciale, "High-power four-way power divider/combiner," IEEE International Microwave Symposium, 1329-1332, 1990.
22. Bannister, , D. J., J. P. Ide, and M. Perkins, "Improved six-port re°ectometer based on symmetrical ¯ve-port junction," Electronics Letters, Vol. 28, 406-408, 1992.
23. Yeo, S. P. and L. Qiao, "Symmetrical five-port waveguide junction with ¡20 dB residual mismatch over waveguide bandwidth," IEE Proceedings on Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 141, 101-106, 1994.
24. Chumachenko, V. P. and I. I. Zinenko, "Matching of E-plane waveguide five-port with polygonal junction cavity," International Symposium Millimeter & Sub-Millimeter Waves, 702-704, 2004.
25. Riblet, G. P. and E. R. B. Hansson, "Properties of matched symmetrical six-port waveguide junction," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 32, 164-171, 1984.
26. Sabahialshoara, M., J. L. Shi, and S. P. Yeo, "Using equivalent-admittance approach to match symmetrical six-port waveguide junction," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference,, 1493-1496, 2009.
27. Sabahialshoara, M. and S. P. Yeo, "Designing a symmetrical six-port waveguide junction," International Microwave Symposium, 2011, DOI:10.1109/MWSYM.2011.5972620.
28. Davies, J. B., "A least-squares boundary residual method for numerical solution of scattering problems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 21, 99-104, 1973.
29. Bunch, K. J. and R. W. Grow, "The boundary residual method for three-dimensional homogeneous field problems with boundaries of arbitrary geometry," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 10, 1007-1032, 1989.
30. Sarkar, T. P., "A note on the variational method (Rayleigh-Ritz), Galerkin's method and the method of least squares," Radio Science, Vol. 18, 1207-1224, 1983.
31. Oraizi, H., "Application of least-squares method to electromagnetic engineering problems," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 48, 50-74, 2006.
32. Mittra, R. and S. W. Lee, Analytical Techniques in the Theory of Guided Waves, MacMillan, New York, 1971.
33. Arizi, H. and R. Khalili, "Least-squares solution of junction of cylindrical waveguides of arbitrary cross-section," International Journal of Engineering Science, Vol. 12, 131-146, 2002.