This paper introduces a novel simulation testbed for investigating WLAN indoor localization systems. This testbed referred to as WiLocSim consists of a novel beacon received signal strength (RSS) simulator which provides realistic modeling of beacon signal characteristics such as multipath propagation, measurement noise and body loss. Each component of the simulator is individually modelled and verified prior to integration. In addition, the capabilities of the testbed are demonstrated using two variants of the nearest neighbour classification based indoor localization algorithm. Unlike conventional measurement based performance evaluation, the proposed testbed provides a reproducible environment for accurate evaluation and analysis of indoor localization systems. More importantly, it significantly reduces the high labour cost typically required in measurement based testbed.
2. Engee, P. K., "The global positioning system: Signals, measurements and performance," Int. J. Wireless Inf. Netw., Vol. 1, No. 2, 83-105, 1994.
3. Hightower, J. and G. Borriello, "Location systems for ubiquitous computing," IEEE Computer Mag., Vol. 34, No. 8, 57-66, 2001.
4. Alsindi, N., X. Li, and K. Pahlavan, "Performance of TOA estimation algorithms in different indoor multipath conditions," 2004 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, WCNC, Vol. 1, 495-500, Mar. 21-25, 2004.
5. Honkavirta, V., T. Perala, S. Ali-Loytty, and R. Piche, "A comparative survey of WLAN location fingerprinting methods," 6th Workshop on Positioning, Navigation and Communication, WPNC 2009, 243-251, Mar. 19-19, 2009.
6. Bahl, P. and V. N. Padmanabhan, "RADAR: An in-building RF-based user location and tracking system," Proc. IEEE Conf. Comput. Commun., 775-784, 2000.
7. Al-Ahmadi, A. S. M., A. I. A. Omer, M. R. B. Kamarudin, and A. R. B. Tharek, "Multi-floor indoor positioning system using Bayesian graphical models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 241-259, 2010.
8. Laoudias, C., D. G. Eliades, P. Kemppi, C. G. Panayiotou, and M. M. Polycarpou, "Indoor localization using neural networks with location fingerprints," Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks: Part II (ICANN' 09), 954-963, Cesare Alippi, Marios Polycarpou, Christos Panayiotou, and Georgios Ellinas, Eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2009.
9. Youssef, M. and A. Agrawala, "The horus WLAN location determination system," Proc. of ACM/USENIX Mobisys, Seattle, WA, Jun. 2005.
10. IEEE WLAN standard, IEEE 802.11-2007, , http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11-2007.pdf.
11. Valenzuela, R., "A ray tracing approach to predicting indoor wire-less transmission," 43rd IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 214-218, May 18-20, 1993.
12. Athanasiadou, G. E., A. R. Nix, and J. P. McGeehan, "A ray tracing algorithm for microcellular and indoor propagation modelling," IEE Conf. Pub., v2-231, 1995.
13. Reza, A. W., M. S. Sarker, and K. Dimyati, "A novel integrated mathematical approach of ray-tracing and genetic algorithm for optimizing indoor wireless coverage," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 110, 147-162, 2010.
14. Haarscher, A., P. De Doncker, and D. Lautru, "Uncertainty propagation and sensitivity analysis in ray-tracing simulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 149-161, 2011.
15. Rappaport, T. S., Wireless Communications Principles and Practice, Vol. 169, No. 177, IEEE Press, New York, 1996.
16. Petersen, S. and S. Carlsen, "Performance evaluation of WirelessHART for factory automation," IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies & Factory Automation, ETFA 2009, 1-9, Sep. 22-25, 2009.
17. Heiskala, J. and J. Terry, OFDM Wireless LANs: A Theoretical and Practical Guide, SAMS Publishing, 2002.
18. Rosa, F. D., X. Li, J. Nurmi, M. Pelosi, C. Laoudias, and A. Terrezza, "Hand-grip and body-loss impact on RSS measurements for localization of mass market devices," 2011 International Conference on Localization and GNSS (ICL-GNSS), 58-63, Jun. 29-30, 2011.
19. Olgaard, C., "Using advanced signal analysis to identify sources of WLAN transmitter degradations,", www.rfdesign.com, 2004.
20. Chung, B. K. and H. T. Chuah, "Design and construction of a multipurpose wideband anechoic chamber," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 6, 41-47, Dec. 2003.
21. Sapumohotti, C., M. Y. Alias, and S. W. Tan, "Effects of multipath propagation and measurement noise in IEEE 802.11g WLAN beacon for indoor localization," PIERS Proceedings, 447-451, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Mar. 27-30, 2012.
22. WILK, M. B. and R. Gnanadesika, "Probability plotting methods Probability plotting methods,", Vol. 55, No. 1, 1-17, Biometrika, 1968.
23. Li, B., J. Salter, A. G. Dempster, and C. Rizos, "Indoor positioning techniques based on wireless LAN,", Tech. Rep., School of Surveying and Spatial Information Systems, UNSW, Sydney, Australia, 2006.
24. Tan, K., D.Wu, J. C. An, and M. Prasant, "Comparing simulation tools and experimental testbeds for wireless mesh networks," 2010 IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), 1-9, Jun. 14-17, 2010.
25. Osterlind, F. , A. Dunkels, T. Voigt, N. Tsiftes, J. Eriksson, and N. Finne, "Sensornet checkpointing: Enabling repeatability in estbeds and realism in simulators," EWSN 2009, Cork, Ireland, Feb. 2009.