Efficient and accurate modeling of electromagnetic structures is valuable in antenna analysis and design, and time domain solutions are at a premium over frequency domain in the case of ultra wide band signals or transients. Among the full wave electromagnetic methods in time domain the method of moments in time domain (MoM-TD) is very interesting. Such a method can be implemented, as for frequency domain, either resorting to a thin wire approximation or to a surface patch model. Depending on the structure to be analyzed one or the other is most convenient. For heterogeneous structures both implementations might be needed, and the problem of the attachment between a perfectly conducting thin wire and a perfectly conducting surface is hence relevant. In this paper attachment modes are introduced in MoM-TD. The solution is validated on a test case and against another numerical technique.
2. Zhang, G.-H., M. Xia, and X.-M. Jiang, "Transient analysis of wire structures using time domain integral equation method with exact matrix elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 281-298, 2009.
3. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, Macmillan Series in Electrical Science, MacMillan, New York, NY, 1968.
4. Martin, R. G., A. Salinas, and A. R. Bretones, "Time-domain integral equation methods for transient analysis," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 34, No. 3, 15-23, 1992.
5. Rao, S. M. and D. R. Wilton, "Transient scattering by conducting surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, No. 1, 56-61, 1991.
6. Bost, F., L. Nicolas, and G. Rojat, "A time-domain integral formulation for the scattering by thin wires," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 36, No. 4, 868-871, 2000.
7. Sadigh, A. and E. Arvas, "Treating the instabilities in marching-on-in-time method from a different perspective," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, No. 12, 1695-1702, 1993.
8. Guan, X., S. Wang, Y. Su, and J.-J. Mao, "A method to reduce the oscillations of the solution of time domain integral equation using laguerre polynomials," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 784-789, 2007.
9. Guarnieri, G., S. Selleri, G. Pelosi, C. Dedeban, and C. Pichot, "Innovative bases and weights for wire junctions in time domain moment method," IET Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, 61-66, 2006.
10. Agastra, E., C. Dedeban, G. Guarnieri, S. Maddio, G. Pelosi, C. Pichot, and S. Selleri, "Space and time basis function design for the method of moments in time domain analysis of wire and planar structures," Int. J. RF and Microw. Computer Aided Eng., Vol. 21, No. 5, 551-559, 2011.
11. Tekin, I., E. H. Newman, "Method of moments solution for a wire attached to an arbitrary faceted surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, 559-562, 1998.
12. Champagne, N. J., W. A. Johnson, and D. R. Wilton, "On attaching a wire to a triangulated surface," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 54-57, 2002.
13. Yu, Y. and A. McCowen, "The fast-multipole method applied to open-PEC problems with triangular type wire-to-surface junctions," COMPEL, Vol. 27, No. 3, 682-702, 2008.
14. Taboada, J. M., J. L. Rodriguez, and F. Obelleiro, "Comparison of moment method solutions for wires attached to arbitrary surfaces," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 4, 2302-2305, 2000.
15. Taboada, J. M., J. L. Rodriguez, F. Obelleiro, and M. R. Pino, "Method of moments solution for wires attached to perfect electric conducting surfaces using °oating attachment modes," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 4, 754-757, 2001.
16. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetics scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982.
17. Hwu, S., D. R. Wilton, and S. M. Rao, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation by arbitrary conducting wire/surface con¯gurations," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 890-893, 1988.
18. Makarov, S. N., "Antenna and EM Modeling with Matlab," John Wiley & Sons, 2002.
19. Zhu, H., Z.-H. Wu, X. Y. Zhang, and B.-J. Hu, "Time-domain integral equation solver for radiation from dipole antenna loaded with general bi-isotropic objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 35, 349-367, 2011.
20. Hu, J.-L., C. H. Chan, and Y. Xu, "A new temporal basis function for the time-domain integral equation method," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 11, No. 11, 465-466, 2001.
21. Zhang, M., H.-C. Yin, and Z. Cao, "Transient scattering from arbitrarily shaped two-dimensional objects located on a rough surface," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 5, 616-619, 2007.
22. He, S. and G. Zhu, "Analysis of transient scattering from 2-D rough surface using time domain integral equation method," PIERS Online, Vol. 1, No. 3, 313-317, 2005.
23. Wang, X., S.-X. Gong, J. Ling, and X.-M. Wang, "Interpolation scheme based on adaptive integral method for solving electrically large radiation problem by surface/surface configuration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 203-211, 2008.
24. Guan, X., S. Wang, Y. Su, J.-J. Mao, and , "A comparison of performance of four methods in solving time domain integral equations for arbitrarily shaped conducting bodies," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 2, 122-126, 2007.