A biconical antenna has been developed for ultra-wideband sensing. A wide impedance bandwidth of around 115 % at bandwidth 3.73-14 GHz is achieved which shows that the proposed antenna exhibits a fairly sensitive sensor for microwave medical imaging applications. The sensor and instrumentation is used together with an improved version of delay and sum image reconstruction algorithm on both fatty and glandular breast phantoms. The relatively new imaging set-up provides robust reconstruction of complex permittivity profiles especially in glandular phantoms, producing results that are well matched to the geometries and composition of the tissues. Respectively, the signal-to-clutter and the signal-to-mean ratios of the improved method are consistently higher than 5 dB and 10 dB, corresponding to an average increase in image fidelity of more than 140% compared to conventional radar focusing technique.
2. Joines, W. T., Y. Zhang, C. Li, and R. L. Jirtle, "The measured electrical properties of normal and malignant human tissues from 50 to 900 MHz," Medical Physics, Vol. 21, 547-550, 1994.
3. Lazebnik, M., D. Popovic, L. McCartney, C. B. Watkins, M. J. Lindstrom, J. Harter, S. Sewall, T. Ogilvie, A. Magliocco, and T. M. Breslin, "A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal, benign and malignant breast tissues obtained from cancer surgeries," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 52, 6093-6115, 2007.
4. Xiao, X. and T. Kikkawa, "Early breast cancer detection by ultrawide band imaging with dispersion consideration," Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 47, 3209-3213, 2008.
5. Chen, X., J. Liang, S. Wang, Z. Wang, and C. Parini, "Small ultra wideband antennas for medical imaging," 2008 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 28-31, Loughborough, UK, 2008.
6. Li, X., E. J. Bond, B. D. Van Veen, and S. C. Hagness, "An overview of ultra-wideband microwave imaging via space-time beamforming for early-stage breast-cancer detection," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 1, 19-34, 2005.
7. Khor, W. C., M. E. Bialkowski, A. Abbosh, N. Seman, and S. Crozier, "An ultra wideband microwave imaging system for breast cancer detection," IEICE Transactions on Communications,, Vol. 90, No. 9, 2376-2381, 2007.
8. Klemm, M., I. J. Craddock, J. A. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Radar-based breast cancer detection using a hemispherical antenna array --- Experimental results," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1692-1704, , 2009.
9. Huang, W. and A. Kishk, "Compact dielectric resonator antenna for microwave breast cancer detection," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 4, 638-644, 2009.
10. Golezani, J. J., M. Abbak, and I. Akduman, "Modified directional wide band printed monopole antenna for use in radar and microwave imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 119-129, 2012.
11. Fear, E. C., P. M. Meaney, and M. A. Stuchly, "Microwaves for breast cancer detection?," IEEE Potentials, Vol. 22, No. 1, 12-18, 2003.
12. Hagness, S. C., A. Taflove, and J. E. Bridges, "Two-dimensional FDTD analysis of a pulsed microwave confocal system for breast cancer detection: Fixed-focus and antenna-array sensors," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 45, No. 12, 1470-1479, 1998.
13. Byrne, D., M. O'Halloran, M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Data independent radar beamforming algorithms for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 331-348, 2010.
14. Zanoon, T. F., M. S. Hathal, and M. Z. Abdullah, "Comparing image reconstruction algorithms for microwave camera featuring ultra wideband sensor," IEEE International Conference on Imaging System and Techniques, 112-117, Penang, Malaysia, 2011.
15. Hollman, K., K. Rigby, and M. O'Donnell, "Coherence factor of speckle from a multi-row probe," 1999 IEEE Proceedings Ultrasonics Symposium, 1257-1260, Caesars, Tahoe, NV, 1999.
16. Nilavalan, R., A. Gbedemah, I. Craddock, X. Li, and S. C. Hagness, "Numerical investigation of breast tumour detection using multi-static radar," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, 1787-1789, 2003.
17. Lim, H. B., N. T. T. Nhung, E. P. Li, and N. D. Thang, "Confocal microwave imaging for breast cancer detection: Delay-multiply-and-sum image reconstruction algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1697-1704, 2008.
18. Conceicao, R. C., M. O'Halloran, M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Comparison of planar and circular antenna configurations for breast cancer detection using microwave imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 1-20, 2009.
19. Armitage, D. W., W. Yin, M. Z. Abdullah, M. Billal, and A. J. Peyton, "Antenna design for ultra wide band electromagnetic tomography," Proceedings of the 5th World Congress on Industrial Process Tomography, Norway, UK, 2007.
20. Zanoon, T. F., S. Binajjaj, and M. Abdullah, "Electromagnetic tomography featuring ultra wide band sensor with conformal finite difference (CFDTD) modeling of dispersive media," IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics & Applications, 377-382, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2009.
21. Samaddar, S. N. and E. L. Mokole, "Biconical antennas with unequal cone angles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 181-193, 1998.
22. Valderas, D., J. I. Sancho, D. Puente, C. Ling, and X. Chen, Ultrawideband Antennas: Design and Applications, 174, 1st Edition, Imperial College Press, 2011.
23. Sill, J. and E. Fear, "Tissue sensing adaptive radar for breast cancer detection: Study of immersion liquids," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 3, 113-115, 2005.
24. Shao, W., B. Zhou, Z. Zheng, and G. Wang, "UWB microwave imaging for breast tumor detection in inhomogeneous tissue," 27th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 1496-1499, Shanghai, China, 2006.
25. Wang, S. L., C. H. Chang, H. C. Yang, Y. H. Chou, and P. C. Li, "Performance evaluation of coherence-based adaptive imaging using clinical breast data," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, Vol. 54, No. 8, 1669-1679, 2007.
26. Conceicao, R. C., M. O'Halloran, M. Glavin, and E. Joines, "Numerical modeling for ultra wideband radar breast cancer detection and classification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 34, 145-171, 2011.
27. Zastrow, E., S. K. Davis, M. Lazebnik, F. Kelcz, B. D. Van Veen, and S. C. Hagness, "Development of anatomically realistic numerical breast phantoms with accurate dielectric properties for modeling microwave interactions with the human breast," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2792-2800, 2008.
28. Porter, E., J. Fakhoury, R. Oprisor, M. Coates, and M. Popovic, "Improved tissue phantoms for experimental validation of microwave breast cancer detection," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, Barcelona, Spain, 2010.
29. Lazebnik, M., E. L. Madsen, G. R. Frank, and S. C. Hagness, "Tissue-mimicking phantom materials for narrowband and ultrawideband microwave applications," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 50, 4245-4258, 2005.
30. Hahn, C. and S. Noghanian, "Heterogeneous breast phantom development for microwave imaging using regression models," International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, Vol. 2012, 1-12, 2012.
31. Lazebnik, M., L. McCartney, D. Popovic, C. B. Watkins, M. J. Lindstrom, J. Harter, S. Sewall, A. Magliocco, J. H. Booske, M. Okoniewski, and S, "A large-scale study of ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal breast tissue obtained from reduction surgeries," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 52, 2637-2656, 2007.
32. Winters, D. W., J. D. Shea, E. L. Madsen, G. R. Frank, B. D. Van Veen, and S. C. Hagness, "Estimating the breast surface using UWB microwave monostatic backscatter measurements," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 55, No. 1, 247-256, 2008.
33. Zanoon, T. and M. Abdullah, "Early stage breast cancer detection by means of time-domain ultra-wide band sensing," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 22, 114016, 2011.
34. Cataldo, A., E. Piuzzi, G. Cannazza, E. De Benedetto, and L. Tarricone, "On the use of dielectric spectroscopy for quality control of vegetable oils," Proceedings of the XIX IMEKO World Congress Fundamental and Applied Metrology, 433-437, Lisbon, Portugal, 2009.