In this paper, small dual layer spirals with several various ground structure are applied in the vicinity of the DDR3 high-speed circuit to achieve noise suppression characteristics up to 3.2 GHz region. For wider noise suppression bandwidth, the dual layer spirals with various ground structure, which provide high self resonance frequency (SRF) as well as inductance value, are implemented. The proposed dual layer spiral with various ground clearance dimension exhibits greater than 9 dB power noise suppression characteristics in the frequency range of interests and achieve about 50% voltage fluctuation reduction in time domain compare to the reference case model. To validate the effectiveness of the proposed model, sample PCB are fabricated and measured. It shows good agreement between the measured and simulated results up to 3.2 GHz.
2. Swaminathan, M., D. Chung, S. Grivet-Talocia, K. Bharath, V. Laddha, and J. Xie, "Designing and modeling for power integrity," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 2, 288-310, May 2010.
3. Huh, S. L., M. Swaminathan, and D. Keezer, "Constant current power transmission line-based power delivery network for single-ended signaling," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1050-1064, Nov. 2011.
4. Wu, B. and H. L. Lo, "Methods and designs for improving the signal integrity of vertical interconnects in high performance packaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 1-11, 2012.
5. Sridharan, V., M. Swaminathan, and T. Bandyopadhyay, "Enhancing signal and power integrity using double sided silicon interposer," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 11, 598-600, Nov. 2011.
6. Xu, M., T. H. Hubing, J. Chen, T. P. Van Doren, J. L. Drewniak, and R. E. DuBroff, "Powerbus decoupling with embedded capacitance in printed circuit board design," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 1, 22-30, Feb. 2003.
7. Park, S. G., J. S. Kim, J. G. Yook, and H. K. Park, "Multilayer power delivery network design for reduction of EMI and SSN in high-speed microprocessor system," Journal of the Korea Electromagnetic Eng. Soc., Vol. 2, No. 2, 68-74, Nov. 2002.
8. Wu, T. L., S. T. Chen, J. N. Huang, and Y. H. Lin, "Numerical and experimental investigation of radiation caused by the switching noise on the partitioned dc reference planes of highspeed digital PCB," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, No. 1, 33-45, Feb. 2004.
9. Wu, T. L., Y. H. Lin, T. K. Wang, C. C. Wang, S. T. Chen, and , "Electromagnetic bandgap power/ground planes for wideband suppression of ground bounce noise and radiated emission in high-speed circuits," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2935-2942, Sep. 2005.
10. Oh, S. S., J. M. Kim, and J. G. Yook, "Design of power plane for suppressing spurious resonances in high speed PCBs," Journal of the Korea Electromagnetic Eng. Soc., Vol. 6, No. 1, Mar. 2006.
11. Kim, , D. Y., , S. H. Joo, and H. Y. Lee, "A power plane using the hybrid-cell EBG structure for the suppression of GBN/SSN," Journal of The Korea Electromagnetic Eng. Soc., Vol. 18, No. 2, 206-212, Feb. 2007.
12. Eom, D.-S., J. Byun, and H.-Y. Lee, "New composite power plane using spiral ebg and external magnetic material for SSN suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 69-77, 2010.
13. Kwon, J. H., S. I. Kwak, D. U. Sim, and J. G. Yook, "Partial EBG structure with decap for ultra-wideband suppression of simultaneous switching noise in a high-speed system," ETRI J., Vol. 32, No. 2, 265-272, Apr. 2010.
14. Kang, H. D., H. Kim, S. G. Kim, and J. G. Yook, "A localized enhanced power plane topology for wideband suppression of simultaneous switching noise," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 2, 373-380, May 2010.
15. Chung, T. H., H. D. Kang, and J. G. Yook, "Power noise suppression techniques using spiral resonator in high-speed PCB," IEEE Electrical Design of Advanced Packaging and Systems, 2010.
16. Hall, S. H., G. W. Hall, and J. A. McCall, High-speed Digital System Design: A Handbook of Interconnect Theory and Design Practices, John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
17. Hsu, H. M., "Analytical formula for inductance of metal of various widths in spiral inductors," IEEE Trans. on Electron. Devices, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1343-1346, Aug. 2004.
18. Koutsoyannopoulos, Y. K. and Y. Papananos, "Systematic analysis and modeling of integrated inductors and transformers in RFIC design," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Vol. 47, No. 8, 699-713, Aug. 2000.
19. Horng, T. S., J. M. Wu, L. Q. Yang, and S. T. Fang, "A novel modified-T equivalent circuit for modeling LTCC embedded inductors with a large bandwidth," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, No. 12, 2327-2333, 2003.
20. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley-Intersciences, New York, 2005.
21. Kown, J. H., D. U. Sim, S. I. Kwak, and J. G. Yook, "Novel electromagnetic bandgap array structure on power distribution network for suppression simultaneous switching noise and minimizing effects on high-speed signals," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 2, 365-372, 2010.
22. Yue, C. P. and S. S. Wong, "On-chip spiral inductors with patterned ground shields for Si-based RF ICs," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 33, No. 5, 743-752, May 1998.
23. Shi, J., W. Y. Yin, H. Liao, and J. F. Mao, "The enhancement of Q factor for patterned ground shield inductors at high temperatures," IEEE Trans. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 7, 1873-1875, Jul. 2006.
24. Long, J. R. and M. A. Copeland, "The modeling, characterization, and design of monolithic inductors for silicon RF ICs," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 32, 357-369, Mar. 1997.
25. Greenhouse, H. M., "Design of planar rectangular microelectronic inductors," IEEE Transactions on Parts, Hybrids and Packaging, Vol. 10, 101-109, Jun. 1974.
26. Mohan, S. S., M. Hershenson, S. P. Boyd, and T. H. Lee, "Simple accurate expressions for planar spiral inductances," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 34, No. 10, 1419-1424, Oct. 1999.
27. Bahl, I., Lumped Element for RF and Microwaves Circuit, Artech House, Norward, 2003.
28. Johnson, H. and M. Graham, High-speed Digital Design, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1993.