The dispersion equation governing the guided propagation of TE and TM fast wave modes of a circular cylindrical waveguide loaded by metal vanes positioned symmetrically around the wave-guide axis is derived from the exact solution of a homogeneous boundary value problem for Maxwell's equations. The dispersion equation takes the form of the solvability condition for an infinite system of linear homogeneous algebraic equations.The approximate dispersion equation corresponding to a truncation of the infinite-order coefficient matrix of the infinite system of equations to the coefficient matrix of a finite system of equations of sufficiently high order is solved numerically to obtain the cut-off wave numbers of the various propagating modes. Each cut-off wave number gives rise to a unique dispersion curve in the shape of a hyperbola in the ω-β plane.
1. Singh, G., S. M. S. Ravichandra, P. V. Bhaskar, P. K. Jain and B. N. Basu, "Analysis of an azimuthally periodic vane-loaded cylindrical waveguide for gyro-travelling wave tube," Int. J. Electronics, Vol. 86, No. 12, 1463-1479, 1999. doi:10.1080/002072199132554
4. Agrawal, , M., , G. Singh, P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analysis of tapered vane loaded broad band gyro-TWT," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sciences, Vol. 29, No. 3, 439-444, 2001. doi:10.1109/27.928941
5. Singh, , G., M. V. Kartikeyan, A. K. Sinha, and B. N. Basu, "Effects of beam and magnetic field parameters on highly competing TE01 and TE21 modes of a vane loaded gyro-TWT," Int. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 23, No. 4, 517-533, 2002. doi:10.1023/A:1015727009153
6. Singh, , G., , S. M. S. Ravichandra, P. V. Bhaskar, P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Analysis of vane-loaded gyro-TWT for the gain-frequency response," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 32, No. 5, 2130-2138, 2004. doi:10.1109/TPS.2004.835528
7. Singh, , G. and B. N. Basu, "Improved approach for the gain frequency response of vane-loaded gyro-TWT," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 33, No. 4, 1443-1446, 2005. doi:10.1109/TPS.2005.854623
8. Singh, , G. and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Optimization of vane parameters for the gain frequency response of vane-loaded gyro-TWT," Int. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 26, No. 2, 247-261, 2005. doi:10.1007/s10762-005-3003-3
9. Singh, , G., M. V. Kartikeyan, and G. S. Park, "Gain and bandwidth analysis of vane-loaded gyro-TWT," Int. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 27, No. 3, 333-341, 2006. doi:10.1007/s10762-006-9055-1
10. Singh, , G., M. V. Kartikeyan, and B. N. Basu, "Gain frequency response of nearby waveguide mode in vane-loaded gyro-TWT," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 34, No. 6, 554-558, 2006. doi:10.1109/TPS.2006.875781
11. Singh, , G., B. N. Basu, and , "Modal analysis of azimuthally periodic vane loaded cylindrical waveguide for gyro-TWT," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 175-189, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07010601
12. Singh, , G., "Analytical study of the interaction structure of vane-loaded gyro-travelling wave tube amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 4, 41-66, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08010402
13. Ioannidis, Z. C., K. A. Avramides, G. P. Latsas, and I. G. Tigelis, "Azimuthal mode coupling in coaxial waveguides and cavities with longitudinally corrugated insert," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 39, No. 5, 1213-1221, 2011. doi:10.1109/TPS.2011.2118766
14. Zaginaylov, , G. I. and S. S. Iaremenko, "Effcient method for analysis of coaxial gyrotron cavity with corrugated inner insert," Proc. of 41th EUMW, 183-186, 2011.
15. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, 2nd Ed., IEEE Press, 1991.
16. Kalyansundaram, , N., "On the build-up of oscillations in a cylindrical magnetron," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 11, 1459-1490, 1992. doi:10.1163/156939392X00012