An electromagnetic band gap (EBG) waveguide using holes drilled in a dielectric substrate is investigated in this paper. A broadbanding technique is suggested and implemented through a detailed study of the modal behaviour of the guiding structure. The stop band of the EBG waveguide was adjusted by changing the width of the waveguide to increase its bandwidth. It is shown that the propagating mode is a quasi-TEM by examining the dispersion properties of the propagating mode. An EBG waveguide of 49.1 mm (equivalent to 19 EBG cells) was designed and fabricated. The simulation results show better than -10dB return loss performance from 27 GHz to 31.5 GHz with insertion loss of better than 2.5 dB over the same bandwidth, and also high isolation in the range of -20 dB with an adjacent similar EBG waveguide. There is a good agreement between the measured data and simulation results. A microstrip line was also fabricated and used as a benchmark for comparison with the designed EBG waveguide. The group velocity of this waveguide is nearly constant across its operating frequency band which implies low frequency dispersion and is also a confirmation of the quasi-TEM nature of the EBG fundamental mode. Also, using the physical insight gained from a careful study of the EBG guide, a simple method is suggested for the calculation of the dispersion characteristic of its fundamental mode.
1. Joannopoulos, J. D., , R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light, Princeton Univ. Press , Princeton, NJ, , 1995.
2. Zhu, , S. , R. Langley, and , "Dual-band wearable antennas over EBG substrate," Electronic Letters, Vol. 43, No. 3, 141-142, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20073151
3. Radisic, , V., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Broadband power amplifier using dielectric photonic bandgap structure," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, 13-14, 1998. doi:10.1109/75.650973
4. Sharkawy, , A., S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Electro-optical switching using coupled photonic crystal waveguides," Optics Express , Vol. 10, No. 20, 1048-1059, 2002. doi:10.1364/OE.10.001048
5. Thorhauge, , M., L. H. Frandsen, and P. I. Borel, "Effcient photonic crystal directional couplers," Optics Letters, Vol. 28, No. 17, 1525-1527, 2003. doi:10.1364/OL.28.001525
6. Niemi, , T., L. H. Frandsen, K. K. Hede, A. Harpoth, P. I. Borel, and M. Kristensen, "Wavelength-division demultiplexing using photonic crystal waveguides," IEEE Photonics Tech. Letters, Vol. 18, No. 1, 226-228, 2006. doi:10.1109/LPT.2005.860001
7. Chien, , F. S. S., , Y. J. Hsu, W. F. Hsieh, and S. C. Cheng, "Dual wavelength demultiplexing by coupling and decoupling of photonic crystal waveguides," Optics Express, Vol. 12, No. 6, 1119-1125, 2004. doi:10.1364/OPEX.12.001119
8. Frandsen, , L. H., et al., "Ultralow-loss 3-dB photonic crystal waveguide splitter," Optics Letters, Vol. 29,14, 1623-1625, 2004. doi:10.1364/OL.29.001623
9. Johnson, , S. G., , P. R. Villeneuve, S. Fan, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Linear waveguides in photonic-crystal slabs," Physical Review B, Vol. 62, 8212-8222, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.62.8212
10. Suntives, , A. and R. Abhari, "Characterization of interconnects formed in electromagnetic bandgap substrates," 9th IEEE Workshop on Signal Propagation on Interconnects,, 75-78, 2005.
11. Abdo, , Y. S. E., , M. R. Chaharmir, J. Shaker, and Y. M. M. Antar, "E±cient excitation of an EBG guide exploiting the partial bandgap of a triangular lattice of holes," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 167-170, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044474
12. Falcone, , F., , T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, and M. Sorolla, "Novel photonic crystal waveguide in microwave printed circuit technology," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 34, No. 6, 462- 466, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10496
13. Gonzalo, , R., , I. Ederra, B. Martinez, and P. de Maagt, "Electromagnetic crystal technology for waveguides and bends at microwave frequencies," Electronic Letters, Vol. 41, No. 7, 421-422, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20057864
14., "CST StudioTM Suite 2008," 2008.
15. Adibi, , A., , Y. Xu, R. K. Lee, and A. Yariv, "Properties of the slab modes in photonic crystal optical waveguides," Journal of Lightwave Technology , Vol. 18, No. 11, 1554-1564, 2000. doi:10.1109/50.896217
16. Olivier, , S., , M. Rattier, H. Benisty, C. Weisbuch, C. J. M. Smith, R. M. De La Rue, T. F. Krauss, U. Oesterle, and R. Houdre, "Mini stopbands of a one dimensional system: The channel waveguide in a two-dimensional photonic crystal," Physical Review B, Vol. 63, 113311, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.63.113311
17. Deslandes, , D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon.Lett., Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.914305
18. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1990.
19. Gagnon, , N., , A. Ittipiboon, and A. Petosa, "Operation of a periodic structure for a microstrip line over a large frequency band," ANTEM/URSI, , 389-392, 2004.
20. Anritsu, , K., "V connector tips," Anritsu Company, 2003.
21. Rogers, , "RT/duroid 6006/6010LM High Frequency Laminates Data Sheet.,".
22. Birbir, , F., , J. Shaker, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Chebishev bandpass spatial filter composed of strip gratings," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3707-3713, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007286