An improved nonlinear least-square method is presented in this paper. This method changes the traditional least-square method's shortness of being sensitive to its initial conditions. Pattern synthesis for concentric circular arrays using nonlinear least-square method is introduced. The excitation amplitudes and phases of the array elements are optimized. This method can make the design of the feeding network much easier because the excitation amplitudes of the elements placed on the same ring are equal. The number of parameters to be optimized is reduced which leads to a faster simulation speed and makes the simulation results much more accurate. Also, the cost of designing the feeding network is reduced. The simulation results show the good agreement between the synthesized and desired radiation pattern. Also, the peak side lobe level (PSLL) of the synthesized radiation pattern is quite low.
1. Yang, , K., , Z.-Q. Zhao, and Q.-H. Liu, "Fast pencil beam pattern synthesis of large unequally spaced antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 627-634, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2220319
2. Li, , F., , Y.-H. Jiao, L.-S. Ren, Y.-Y. Chen, and L. Zhang, "Pattern synthesis of concentric ring array antennas by differential evolution algorithm,", Vol. 25, No. 2--3, 421-430, 2011.
3. Xu, , Z., , H. Li, Q.-Z. Liu, and J.-Y. Li, "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 79, 75-90, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091901
4. Mahanti, , G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase only synthesis of dual-beam pattern linear antenna arrays using °oating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06072301
5. Oliveri, , G. and A. Massa, "Genetic algorithm (GA)-enhanced almost di®erence set (ADS)-based approach for array thinning," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, 305-315, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0114
6. Goudos, , S. K., , V. Moysiadou, T. Samaras, K. Siakavara, and J. N. Sahalos, "Application of a comprehensive learning particle swarm optimizer to unequally spaced linear array synthesis with sidelobe level suppression and null control," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters , Vol. 9, 125-129, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044552
7. Zaharis, , Z. D. and T. V. Yioultsis, "A novel adaptive beamforming technique applied on linear antenna arrays using adaptive mutated Boolean PSO," Progress In Electromagnatics Research, Vol. 117, 165-179, 2011.
8. Rocca, , P., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Differential evolution as applied to electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine , Vol. 53, 38-49, 2011. doi:10.1109/MAP.2011.5773566
9. Mallipeddi, , R., J. P. Lie, P. N. Suganthan, S. G. Razul, and C. M. S. See, "A differential evolution approach for robust adaptive beamforming based on joint estimation of look direction and array geometry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 381-394, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11052205
10. Li, , R., L. Xu, X.-W. Shi, N. Zhang, and Z.-Q. Lv, "Improved differential evolution strategy for antenna array pattern synthesis problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 429-441, 2011.
11. Donelli, , M., , S. Caorsi, F. De Natale, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "A versatile enhanced genetic algorithm for planar array design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, , Vol. 18, No. 11, 1533-1548, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042954893
12. Massa, A., S. Caorsi, A. Lommi, M. Donelli, and F. De Natale, "Planar antenna array control with genetic algorithms and adaptive array theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2919-2924, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.837523
13. Wang, , W.-B., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Synthesis of thinned linear and planar antenna arrays using binary PSO algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 127, 371-387, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020301
14. Qu, , Y., , G. Liao, S.-Q. Zhu, and X.-Y. Liu, "Pattern synthesis of planar antenna array via convex optimization for airborne forward looking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 1-10, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08060301
15. Comisso, , M. and R. Vescovo, "Fast iterative method of power synthesis for antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1952-1962, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021894
16. Liu, , Y., Z.-P. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "A new method for the synthesis of non-uniform linear arrays with shaped power patterns," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 349-363, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10060912
17. Keizer, , W. P. M. N., "Fast low-sidelobe synthesis for large planar array antennas utilizing successive fast Fourier transforms of array factor," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 715-722, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891511
18. Bhattacharyya, , A. K., "Projection matrix method for shaped beam synthesis in phased arrays and reflectors," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 675-683, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891570
19. Sanchez, , J., D. H. Covarrubias-Rosales, and M. A. Panduro, "A synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays using Legendre functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 7, 57-69, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09032305
20. Azevedo, , J. A. R., "Synthesis of planar arrays with elements in concentric rings," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 839-845, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2102999
21. Pathak, N. N., G. K. Mahanti, S. K. Singh, J. K. Mishra, and A. Chakraborty, "Synthesis of thinned planar circular array antennas using modi¯ed particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnatics Research Letters , Vol. 12, 87- 97, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09090606