The practically important case of a dielectric-loaded tape helix enclosed in a coaxial perfectly conducting cylindrical shell is analysed in this paper. The dielectric-loaded tape helix for guided electromagnetic wave propagation considered here has infinitesimal tape thickness and infinite tape- material conductivity. The homogeneous boundary value problem is solved taking into account the exact boundary conditions similar to the case of anisotropically conducting open tape helix model [1,2]. The boundary value problem is solved to yield the dispersion equation which takes the form of the solvability condition for an infinite system of linear homogeneous algebraic equations viz., the determinant of the infinite-order coefficient matrix is zero. For the numerical computation of the approximate dispersion characteristic, all the entries of the symmetrically truncated version of the coefficient matrix are estimated by summing an adequate number of the rapidly converging series for them. The tape-current distribution is estimated from the null-space vector of the truncated coefficient matrix corresponding to a specified root of the dispersion equation.
1. Kalyanasundaram, N. and G. N. Babu, "Dispersion of electromagnetic waves guided by an open tape helix I," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 311-331, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09052608
2. Kalyanasundaram, N. and G. N. Babu, Propagation of electromagnetic waves guided by an open tape helix, IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 185-186, Feb. 21-24, 2011.
3. Kalyanasundaram, N. and G. N. Babu, "Perfectly conducting tape-helix model for guided electromagnetic wave propagation," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 8, 899-907, Jun. 7, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2011.0446
4. Sensiper, S., Electromagnetic wave propagation on helical conductors, Sc.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mar. 1951.
5. Chodorov, M. and E. L. Chu, "Cross-wound twin helices for traveling-wave tubes," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 26, No. 1, 33-43, 1955. doi:10.1063/1.1721859
6. Watkins, D. A., Topics in Electromagnetic Theory, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1958.
7. Zhang, K. A. and D. Li, Electromagnetic Theory for Microwaves and Optoelectronics, 2nd Ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg, 2008.
8. Basu, B. N., Electromagnetic Theory and Applications in Beam wave Electronics, World Scientific, Singapore, 1996.
9. Jain, P. K. and B. N. Basu, "The inhomogeneous loading effects of practical dielectric supports for the helical slow-wave structure of a TWT," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 34, No. 12, 2643-2648, Dec. 1987. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1987.23366
10. Tien, P. K., Traveling-wave tube helix impedance, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 41, No. 11, 1617-1623, Nov. 1953.
11. McMurtry, J. B., "Fundamental interaction impedance of a helix surrounded by a dielectric and a metal shield," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 9, No. 2, 210-216, 1962. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1962.14972
12. Uhm, H. S., "Electromagnetic-wave propagation in a conducting waveguide loaded with a tape helix," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 31, No. 9, 704-710, Sep. 1983. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131578
13. D'Agostino, S., F. Emma, and C. Paoloni, "Accurate analysis of helix slow-wave structures," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 45, No. 7, 1605-1613, 1998. doi:10.1109/16.701495
14. Tsutaki, K., Y. Yuasa, and Y. Morizumi, "Numerical analysis and design for high-performance helix traveling wave tubes," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 32, No. 9, 1842-1849, 1985. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1985.22207
15. Kosmahl, H. G., G. M. Branch, and Jr., "Generalized representation of electric fields in interaction gaps of klystrons and traveling-wave tubes," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 20, No. 7, 621-629, Jul. 1973. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1973.17713
16. Chen, Q., Z. Wang, and H. Wu, The dispersion characteristics of vane loaded tape helix slow wave structure, International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, Beijing Vacuum Electronics Research Institute, Beijing, 1998.
17. Chernin, D., T. M. Antonsen, Jr., and B. Levush, "Exact treatment of the dispersion and beam interaction impedance of a thin tape helix surrounded by a radially stratified dielectric," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 46, No. 7, 1472-1483, Jul. 1999. doi:10.1109/16.772493