In this paper we present designs of fibersμ having non-zero positive, non-zero negative and near-zero ultra-flattened dispersion with small dispersion slope and ultra-large effective area over a wide spectral range. The designs consist of a concentric multilayer segmented core followed by a trench assisted cladding and a thin secondary core. The central segmented core helps in maintaining desired dispersion over a wide range of wavelength. The second core of the fiber helps in achieving ultra-large effective area and trench assisted cladding reduces the bending loss. The designs of the fiber have been analyzed by using the transfer matrix method. For positive non-zero dispersion flattened fiber we have optimized dispersion near +4.5 ps/km/nm in the wavelength range 1.46-1.65 μm. Maximum value of dispersion slope of the fiber in above mentioned wavelength range is 0.026 ps/km/nm2. In the design of negative non-zero dispersion flattened fiber, dispersion has been achieved near -6 ps/km/nm in the spectral range of 1.33-1.56 μm and maximum value of dispersion slope is 0.048 ps/km/nm2. Dispersion and dispersion slope of near zero dispersion flattened fiber lie in the range [0.0039-0.520] ps/km/nm and [(0.0004)-(0.0365)] ps/km/nm2 respectively in the spectral range of 1.460-1.625 μm. The near zero dispersion flattened fiber has an ultra-high effective area ranging from 114 μm2 to 325.95 μm2 in the aforementioned wavelength range, which covers the entire S+C+L-band. These values of mode area are noticeably higher than those reported in literature for flattened dispersion fibers with large mode area. Designed fiber show very small bending loss. We report breakthrough in the mode area of the single mode optical fiber with ultra flattened dispersion and low dispersion slope.
1. Sakamoto, J., J. Kani, M. Jinno, S. Aisawa, M. Fukui, M. Yamada, and K. Oguchi, "Wide wavelength band (1535-1560nm and 1574-1600 nm), 28 × 10 Gbit/s WDM transmission over 320km dispersion shifted fiber," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, 392-394, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980210
2. Yashida, S., S. Kuwano, and K. Iwashita, 10 Gbit/s ×10 channel WDM transmission experiment over 1200km with repeater spacing of 100km without gain equalization or pre-emphasis, in: Optical fiber communication , Proceeding of Optical Fiber Communication Conference, 19-21, 1996.
3. Thyagarajan, K., R. K. Varshney, P. Palai, A. K. Ghatak, and I. C. Goyal, "A novel design of a dispersion compensating fiber," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 8, 1510-1512, 1996. doi:10.1109/68.541566
4. Birks, T. A., D. Mogilevtsev, J. C. Knight, and P. S. J. Russell, "Dispersion compensation using single-material fibers," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 11, 674-676, 1999. doi:10.1109/68.766781
5. Yi, N., L. Zhang, L. An, J. Peng, and C. Fan, "Dual-core photonic crystal fiber for dispersion compensation," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 16, 1516-1518, 2004. doi:10.1109/LPT.2004.823697
6. Dasgupta, S., B. P. Pal, and M. R. Shenoy, "Design of dispersion-compensating Bragg fiber with an ultrahigh figure of merit," Optics Letters, Vol. 30, 1917-1919, 2005. doi:10.1364/OL.30.001917
7. Auguste, J., R. Jindal, J.-M. Blondy, M. Clapeau, J. Marcou, B. Dussardier, G. Monnom, D. B. Ostrowsky, B. P. Pal, and K. Thyagarajan, "-1800 ps/(nm.km) chromatic dispersion at 1.55 μm in dual concentric core fibre," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, 1689-1691, 2000. doi:10.1049/el:20001236
8. Rastogi, V., A. Nandam, and A. Kumar, "Design and analysis of large-core high-GVD planar optical waveguide for dispersion compensation," Applied Physics B, Vol. 105, 821-824, 2011. doi:10.1007/s00340-011-4646-5
9. Rastogi, V., R. Kumar, and A. Kumar, "Large effective area all-solid dispersion compensating fiber," Journal of Optics, Vol. 13, 125707, 2011. doi:10.1088/2040-8978/13/12/125707
10. Peer, A., G. Prabhakar, V. Rastogi, and A. Kumar, A microstructured dual-core dispersion compensating fiber design for large-mode-area and high-negative dispersion, International Conference on Fibre Optics and Photonics, WPo.24, 2012.
11. Kumano, N., K. Mukasa, M. Sakano, H. Moridaira, T. Yagi, and K. Kokura, "Novel NZ-DSF with ultra low dispersion slope lower than 0.020 ps/km/nm2," Proceeding of ECOC' 01, 1-5, 2001.
12. Zhu, B., L. E. Nelson, L. Leng, S. Stulz, S. Knudsen, and D. Peckham, "1.6 Tbits/s (40 × 427 Gbit/s) WDM transmission over 2400km of fiber with 100km dispersion managed spans," Electronics Letters, Vol. 38, 647-648, 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020453
13. Varshney, R. K., A. K. Ghatak, I. C. Goyal, and C. S. Antony, "Design of flat field fiber with very small dispersion slope," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 9, 189-198, 2003. doi:10.1016/S1068-5200(03)00042-7
15. Chraplyvy, A. R., "Limitation on lightwave communications imposed by optical fiber nonlinearities," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 8, 1548-1557, 1990. doi:10.1109/50.59195
16. Naka, A. and S. Saito, "In-line amplifier transmission distance determined by self-phase modulation and group-velocity dispersion," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 12, 280-287, 1994. doi:10.1109/50.350593
17. Okuno, T., S. K. Hatayama, T. Sasaki, M. Onishi, and M. Shigematsu, "Negative dispersion-flattened fiber suitable for 10 Gbits/s directly-modulated signal transmission in whole telecommunication band," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 1306-1308, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040521
18. Liu, Y., A. J. Antos, V. A. Bhagavatula, and M. A. Newhouse, "Single mode dispersion shifted fiber with effective area larger than 80 μm2 and good bending performance," Proceeding of ECOC' 95, TuL2.4, 1995.
19. Tian, X. and X. Zhang, "Dispersion-flattened designs of the large effective area single-mode fibers with ring index profiles," Optics Communications, Vol. 230, 105-113, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2003.11.037
20. Rostami, A. and S. Makouei, "Modified W-type single mode optical fiber design with ultra-low, flattened chromatic dispersion and ultra-high effective area for high bit rate long haul communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 79-92, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC09090603
21. Hatayama, H., T. Kato, M. Onishi, E. Sasaoka, and M. Nishimura, "Dispersion flattened fiber with large-effective-core area more than 50 μm2," Proceedings of Optical Fiber Communication Conference, Vol. 2, ThK4, 1998.
22. Hooda, B. and V. Rastogi, Ultra-large-effective-area dispersion-flattened segmented-core optical fiber, Proc. SPIE 8760, International Conference on Communication and Electronics System Design, Vol. 8760, 876015, 2013.
23. Thyagarajan, K., S. Diggavi, A. Taneja, and A. K. Ghatak, "Simple numerical technique for the analysis of cylindrically symmetric refractive-index profile optical fibers," Applied Optics, Vol. 30, 3877-3879, 1991. doi:10.1364/AO.30.003877
24. Agrawal, G. P., Nonlinear Fiber Optics, Academic Press, San Diego, 2001.
25. Pask, C., "Physical interpretation of Petermann's strange spot size for single-mode fibres," Electronics Letters, Vol. 20, 144-145, 1984. doi:10.1049/el:19840097