We study the current distribution and input impedance of a circular loop antenna in the form of an infinitesimally thin, perfectly conducting narrow strip coiled into a ring. The antenna is located on the surface of an axially magnetized plasma column surrounded by a homogeneous isotropic medium. The current in the antenna is excited by a time-harmonic voltage creating an electric field with the azimuthal component in a gap of small angular opening on the strip surface. The emphasis is placed on the solution of the integral equations for the azimuthal harmonics of the antenna current in the case where the magnetoplasma inside the column is nonresonant. The properties of the kernels of the integral equations are discussed and the current distribution in the antenna is obtained. It is shown that the presence of a magnetized plasma column can significantly influence the electrodynamic characteristics of the antenna compared with the case where it is located in the surrounding medium or a homogeneous plasma medium the parameters of which coincide with those inside the column.
1. Duff, G. L. and R. Mittra, "Loop impedance in magnetoplasma: Theory and experiment," Radio Sci., Vol. 5, No. 1, 81-94, 1970. doi:10.1029/RS005i001p00081
2. Bell, T. F. and T. N. C. Wang, "Radiation resistance of a small filamentary loop antenna in a cold multicomponent magnetoplasma ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 19, No. 4, 517-522, 1971. doi:10.1109/TAP.1971.1139957
3. Wang, T. N. C. and T. F. Bell, "VLF/ELF input impedance of an arbitrarily oriented loop antenna in a cold collisionless multicomponent magnetoplasma," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 20, No. 3, 394-398, 1972. doi:10.1109/TAP.1972.1140212
4. Ohnuki, S., K. Sawaya, and S. Adachi, "Impedance of a large circular loop antenna in a magnetoplasma," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 34, No. 8, 1024-1029, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143927
5. Mareev, E. A. and Yu. V. Chugunov, Antennas in Plasmas, Institute of Applied Physics, Nizhny Novgorod, 1991 (in Russian).
6. Kondrat'ev, I. G., A. V. Kudrin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Radiation of whistler waves in magnetoactive plasma," Radio Sci., Vol. 27, No. 2, 315-324, 1992. doi:10.1029/91RS02919
7. Zaboronkova, T. M., I. G. Kondrat'ev, and A. V. Kudrin, "On the radiation directivity pattern of electric ring currents in a magnetoactive plasma in the whistler frequency range," J. Commun. Technol. Electron., Vol. 38, No. 15, 110-118, 1993.
8. Kondrat'ev, I. G., A. V. Kudrin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, Electrodynamics of Density Ducts in Magnetized Plasmas, Gordon and Breach, Amsterdam, 1999.
9. Zaboronkova, T. M., A. V. Kudrin, and E. Yu. Petrov, "Toward the theory of a loop antenna in an anisotropic plasma," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 41, No. 3, 236-246, 1998. doi:10.1007/BF02676539
10. Kudrin, A. V., E. Yu. Petrov, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Current distribution and input impedance of a loop antenna in a cold magnetoplasma," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 15, No. 3, 345-378, 2001. doi:10.1163/156939301X00517
11. Golubyatnikov, G. Yu., S. V. Egorov, A. V. Kostrov, E. A. Mareev, and Yu. V. Chugunov, "Excitation of electrostatic and whistler waves by an antenna of magnetic type," Sov. Phys. JETP, Vol. 67, No. 4, 717-723, 1988.
12. Zaboronkova, T. M., A. V. Kostrov, A. V. Kudrin, S. V. Tikhonov, A. V. Tronin, and A. A. Shaikin, "Channeling of waves in the whistler frequency range within nonuniform plasma structures," Sov. Phys. JETP, Vol. 75, No. 4, 625-632, 1992.
13. Kostrov, A. V., A. V. Kudrin, L. E. Kurina, G. A. Luchinin, A. A. Shaykin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Whistlers in thermally generated ducts with enhanced plasma density: Excitation and propagation," Phys. Scr., Vol. 62, No. 1, 51-65, 2000. doi:10.1238/Physica.Regular.062a00051
14. Amatucci, W. E., D. D. Blackwell, D. N. Walker, G. Gatling, and G. Ganguli, "Whistler wave propagation and whistler wave antenna radiation resistance measurements," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 33, No. 2, 637-646, 2005. doi:10.1109/TPS.2005.844607
15. Chugunov, Yu. V. and G. A. Markov, "Active plasma antenna in the Earth's ionosphere," J. Atmos. Sol.-Terr. Phys., Vol. 63, No. 17, 1775-1787, 2001. doi:10.1016/S1364-6826(01)00055-4
16. Li, K., H.-Q. Zhang, and W.-Y. Pan, "The VLF field on the sea surface generated by the space borne loop antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 1, 121-135, 2004. doi:10.1163/156939304322749715
17. Ginzburg, V. L., The Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasmas, 2nd Ed., Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1970.
18. Kudrin, A. V., E. Yu. Petrov, G. A. Kyriacou, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Electromagnetic radiation from sources embedded in a cylindrically stratified unbounded gyrotropic medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 297-331, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08120503
19. Kudrin, A. V. and V. A. Es'kin, "Whistler wave propagation in a bounded collisional magnetoplasma," Phys. Scr., Vol. 74, No. 4, 425-438, 2006. doi:10.1088/0031-8949/74/4/004
20. Kudrin, A. V., V. A. Es'kin, C. Krafft, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Whistler wave excitation by a loop antenna in a bounded collisional magnetoplasma," Phys. Scr., Vol. 77, No. 5, 055501, 2008. doi:10.1088/0031-8949/77/05/055501
21. Meixner, J., "The behavior of electromagnetic fields at edges," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 20, No. 4, 442-446, 1972. doi:10.1109/TAP.1972.1140243
22. Kondratenko, A. N., Plasma Waveguides, Atomizdat, Moscow, 1976 (in Russian).
23. Wu, T. T., "Theory of the thin circular loop antenna," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 3, No. 6, 1301-1304, 1962. doi:10.1063/1.1703875