Recently researchers have great interest in using multi-core processors for applications requiring intensive parallel computing. In this paper, an approach for the implementation of hybrid parallel Gravitational Search Algorithm (GSA) and Nelder-Mead (NM) algorithm using open Multi-Processing (OPEN-MP) on multi-core processors is proposed for beam-forming applications. The proposed parallel GSA-NM algorithm is used to optimize the complex excitations, amplitudes and phases, of the adaptive array elements to synthesize the array beam-pattern. The array consists of 24-elements uniformly distributed in a circular configuration. To measure the performance of the proposed approach, the results are compared with those obtained using parallel hybrid CFO-NM, and PSO-NM Algorithms.
3. Mahmoud, K. R., M. El-Adawy, R. Bansal, S. H. Zainud-Deen, and S. M. M. Ibrahem, "Analysis of uniform circular arrays for adaptive beamforming applications using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Int. J. of RF and Microwave Computed Aided Eng., Vol. 18, 42-52, 2008. doi:10.1002/mmce.20265
4. Kennedy, J. and R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Vol. 4, 194-1948, 1995.
5. Formato, R. A., "Central force optimization: A new metaheuristic with applications in applied electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 491-491, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07082403
6. Mahmoud, K. R., "Central force optimization: Nelder-Mead hybrid algorithm for rectangular microstrip antenna design," Electromagnetics, Vol. 31, 578-592, 2011. doi:10.1080/02726343.2011.621110
7. Rashedi, E., H. Nezamabadi-Pour, and S. Saryazdi, "GSA: A gravitational search algorithm," Information Sciences, Vol. 179, No. 13, 2232-2248, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.ins.2009.03.004
8. Chatterjee, A. and Comparative performance of gravitational search, "Comparative performance of gravitational search algorithm and modi¯ed particle swarm optimization algorithm for synthesis of thinned scanned concentric ring array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 331-348, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10080405
9. Chatterjee, A., G. K. Mahanti, and P. R. S. Mahapatra, "Design of fully digital controlled recon¯gurable dual-beam concentric ring array antenna using gravitational search algorithm ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 59-72, 2011.
10. Altinoz, O. T. and A. E. Yilmaz, "Calculation of optimized parameters of rectangular patch antenna using gravitational search algorithm," 2011 International Symposium on Innovations in Intelligent Systems and Applications (INISTA), 349-353, 2011. doi:10.1109/INISTA.2011.5946090
11. Magdy Mohamed, A., K. R. Mahmoud, S. G. Abdel-Gawad, and I. I. Ibrahim, "Direction of arrival estimation based on maximum likelihood criteria using gravitational search algorithm," PIERS Proceedings, 1162-1167, 2013.
12. Mahmoud, K. R., "UWB antenna using gravitational search algorithm," Journal of Engineering Sciences, Vol. 41, No. 5, 2013.
13. Green, R., L. Wang, M. Alam, and R. A. Formato, "Central force optimization on a GPU: A case study in high performance metaheuristics," Journal of Supercomputing, Vol. 62, 378-398, 2012. doi:10.1007/s11227-011-0725-y
14. Ahmed Fahmy, E., K. R. Mahmoud, S. H. Hamad, and Z. T. Fayed, "Real time parallel PSO and CFO for adaptive beam-forming applications," PIERS Proceedings, 816-820, 2013.
15. Jin, H., M. Frumkin, and J. Yan, "The Open-MP implementation of NAS parallel benchmarks and its performance," MRJ Technology Solutions, 1999.
16. Parallel divide-and-evolve: Experiments with Open-MP on a multicore machine, Candan, C., J. Dreo, P. Saveant, and V. Vidal, "16," GECCO, 1571-1578, 2011.
17. Mahmoud, K. R., "Design optimization of a bow-tie antenna for 2.45 GHz RFID readers using a hybrid BSO-NM algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 105-117, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09102903
18. Montaser, A. M. and for RFID reader using hybrid CFO-NM algorithm, "Tri-band slotted bow-tie antenna design for RFID reader using hybrid CFO-NM algorithm," 29th Nationa Radio Science Conference (NRSC 2012) , 119-126, 2012 . doi:10.1109/NRSC.2012.6208515
19. Mahmoud, K. R., A. M. Montaser, and H. A. Elmikati, "Design of Hexa-band planar inverted-F antenna using hybrid BSO-NM algorithm for mobile phone communications," Int. J. of RF and Microwave Computed Aided Eng., Vol. 23, No. 1, 99-110, 2013. doi:10.1002/mmce.20656
20. Nelder, R. Mead and R. Mead, "A simplex method for function minimization," Computer Journal, Vol. 7, 308-313, 1965. doi:10.1093/comjnl/7.4.308