The purpose of this paper is to describe a model predictive direct torque control (MPDTC) with load angle limitation for surface-mounted permanent magnet synchronous motor (SPMSM) drive system. In this paper, an exact discrete-time state-space model of SPMSM is presented, which improves the state prediction accuracy comparing to simple Euler approximation. A finite control set type MPDTC is used to select the optimum voltage vectors applying to the voltage source inverter (VSI). It makes full use of the inherent discrete nature of VSI, and according to the predefined cost function it chooses the optimal solution from the possible switching states. It has been found that with the proposed scheme SPMSM drives show adequate dynamic torque performance and considerable torque ripple reduction as compared to traditional direct torque control (t-DTC). With the load angle limitation in the cost function, the proposed scheme can prevent the PMSMs falling from synchronism.
1. Takahashi, I. and N. Noguchi, "A new quick response and high e±ciency control strategy of an induction motor," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Application, Vol. 22, 820-827, 1986. doi:10.1109/TIA.1986.4504799
2. Depenbrock, M., "Direct self-control (DSC) of inverter-fed induction machine," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 4, 420-429, 1988. doi:10.1109/63.17963
3. Casadei, D., et al., "FOC and DTC: Two variable schemes for induction motors torque control," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 5, 779-787, 2002. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2002.802183
4. Buja, G. S. and M. P. Kazmierkowski, "Direct torque control of PWM inverter-fed AC motors --- A survey," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 51, No. 4, 744-757, 2004. doi:10.1109/TIE.2004.831717
5. Tang, L., L. Zhong, M. F. Rahman, and Y. Hu, "Novel direct torque controlled interior permanent magnet synchronous machine drive with low ripple in flux and torque and fixed switching frequency," IEEE Transactionson Power Electronics, Vol. 19, No. 2, 346-354, 2004. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2003.823170
6. Uddin, M. N., T. S. Radwan, G. H. George, and M. A. Rahman, "Performance of current controllers for VSI fed IPMSM drive," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 36, No. 6, 1531-1538, 2000. doi:10.1109/28.887203
7. Adam, A. A. and K. Gulez, "A new sensorless hysteresis direct torque control algorithm for PMSM with minimum torque ripples," COMPEL, Vol. 28, No. 2, 437-453, 2009. doi:10.1108/03321640910929317
8. Kazmierkowski, P. M., L. G. Franquelo, J. Rodriguez, M. A. Perez, and J. I. Leon, "High-performance motor drives," IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 6-26, 2011. doi:10.1109/MIE.2011.942173
9. Wang, Y., J. G. Zhu, and Y. J. Guo, "A survey of direct torque control schemes for permanent magnet synchronous motor drives," Proceedings of Power Engineering Conference 2007, (AUPEC 2007), 1-5, Australasian Universities, 2007.
10. Luukko, J., M. Niemela, and J. Pyrhnen, "Estimation of rotor and load angle of direct-torque-controlled permanent magnet synchronous machine drive," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 1, No. 3, 299-306, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-epa:20060301
11. Pyrhonen, O., "Analysis and control of excitation, field weakening and stability in direct torque controlled electrically excited synchronous motor drives,", Department of Electrical Engineering, Lappeenranta University of Technology, Lappeenranta, Finland, 1998.
12. Luukko, J., O. Pyrhonen, M. Niemela, and J. Pyrhonen, "Limitation of the load angle in a direct-torque-controlled synchronous machine drive," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 51, No. 4, 793-798, 2004. doi:10.1109/TIE.2004.831726
13. Zhang, J., Z. Xu, L. Tang, and M. F. Rahman, "A novel direct load angle control for interior permanent magnet synchronous machine drives with space vector modulation," Proceedings of Sixth International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, (PEDS 2005), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2005.
14. Li, B. and H. Lin, "Torque increase by field enhancing with constant load-angle control for SPMSM," Dianji yu Kongzhi Xuebao/Electric Machines and Control, Vol. 14, No. 5, 56,-60, 67, 2010.
15. Pacas, M. and J. Weber, "Predictive direct torque control for the PM synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1350-1356, 2005. doi:10.1109/TIE.2005.855662
16. Geyer, T., G. Papafotiou, and M. Morari, "Model predictive direct torque control part I: Concept, algorithm, and analysis," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1894-1905, 2009. doi:10.1109/TIE.2008.2007030
17. Lee, J. H., "Model predictive control: Review of the three decades of development," International Journal of Control Automation and Systems, Vol. 9, No. 3, 415-424, 2011. doi:10.1007/s12555-011-0300-6
18. Cortes, P., J. Rodriguez, C. Silva, and A. Flores, "Delay compensation in model predictive current control of a three-phase inverter," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 2, 1323-1325, 2012. doi:10.1109/TIE.2011.2157284
19. Preindl, M. and S. Bolognani, "Model predictive direct torque control with finite control set for PMSM drive systems, Part 1: Maximum torque per ampere operation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1912-1921, 2013. doi:10.1109/TII.2012.2227265
20. Cortes, P., M. P. Kazmierkowski, R. M. Kennel, D. E. Quevedo, and J. Rodriguez, "Predictive control in power electronics and drives," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 12, 4312-4324, 2008. doi:10.1109/TIE.2008.2007480
21. Drobnic, K., M. Nemec, D. Nedeljkovic, and V. Ambrozic, "Predictive direct control applied to AC drives and active power filter," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1884-1893, 2009. doi:10.1109/TIE.2009.2015749
22. Xia, C., Y. Wang, and T. Shi, "Implementation of finite-state model predictive control for," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 3, 896-905, 2013. doi:10.1109/TIE.2012.2189536
23. Mariethoz, S., A. Domahidi, and M. Morari, "High-bandwidth explicit model predictive control of electrical drives," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1980-1992, 2012. doi:10.1109/TIA.2012.2226198
24. Rojas, C. A., J. I. Yuz, C. A. Silva, and J. Rodriguez, "Comments on `Predictive torque control of induction machines based on state-space models," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1635-1638, 2014. doi:10.1109/TIE.2013.2259783
25. Linder, A., R. Kanchan, R. Kennel, and P. Stolze, Model-based Predictive Control of Electric Drives, Cuvillier Verlag Gottingen, Munich, Germany, 2010.
26. Joshi, B. and M. Chandorkar, "Time discretization issues in induction machine model solving for real-time applications," IEEE IEMDC 2011, 675-680, 2011.
27. Diao, L., D.-N. Sun, K. Dong, L.-T. Zhao, and Z.-G. Liu, "Optimized design of discrete traction induction motor model at low-switching frequency," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 10, 4803-4810, 2013. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2012.2235149
28. Pillay, P. and R. Krishnan, "Modeling, simulation, and analysis of permanent-magnet motor drives. I. The permanent-magnet synchronous motor drive," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2, 265-273, 1989. doi:10.1109/28.25541
29. Miranda, H., P. Cortes, J. I. Yuz, and J. Rodriguez, "Predictive torque control of induction machines based on state-space models," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1916-1924, 2009. doi:10.1109/TIE.2009.2014904
30. Bernstein, D. S., Matrix Mathematics: Theory, Facts, and Formulas with Application to Linear Systems Theory, Princeton Univ. Pres, Princeton, NJ, USA, 2009.
31. Visser, M., S. Stramigioli, and C. Heemskerk, "Cayley-Hamilton for roboticists," Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IEEE/RSJ 2006), 4187-4192, Beijing, China, 2006. doi:10.1109/IROS.2006.281911
32. Rodriguez, J., J. Pontt, C. A. Silva, P. Correa, P. Lezana, P. Cortes, and U. Ammann, "Predictive current control of a voltage source inverter," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 1, 495-503, 2007. doi:10.1109/TIE.2006.888802
33. Ozturk, S. B., "Direct torque control of permanent magnet synchronous motors with non-sinusoidal back-EMF,", Ph.D. Texas A & M University, Texas, United States, 2008.
34. Krishnan, R., Permanent Magnet Synchronous and Brushless DC Motor Drives, Taylor & Francis Group, 2010.
35. Mard, M., J. Niiranen, and V. Vauhkonen, "The control properties of synchronous motors within load angles of 90 degrees," Proceedings of the International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM90), 434-439, 1990.