A matrix method which takes into account the probe positioning errors in cylindrical and spherical near-field (NF) measurement techniques is proposed. The near-field irregularities made impossible the determination of the cylindrical or spherical wave expansion from the measured data using classical techniques based on 2D Discrete Fourier Transformation (2D-DFT) in cylindrical case (CC) and orthogonality properties in spherical case (SC). The irregularities can be randomly distributed but known and the matrix method expresses the linear relation between the measured near-field and the corresponding cylindrical or spherical modal expansion coefficients. Once the coefficients of the cylindrical and the spherical wave expansions are known the far-field of the antenna under test (AUT) is easily determined. Accuracy of the matrix method is numerically studied as a function of the irregularities magnitude and for different noise levels (data Signal to Noise Ratio). Also, experimental results have shown the efficiency of the proposed technique.
2. Leach, Jr., W. and D. Paris, "Probe compensated near-field measurements on a cylinder," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 21, No. 4, 435-445, 1973.
3. Hansen, J. E., et al., Spherical Near-field Antenna Measurements, IEE Electromagnetic Waves Series, London, 1988.
4. Yen, J., "On nonuniform sampling of bandwidth-limited signals," IRE Trans. Circuit Theory, Vol. 3, No. 4, 251-257, 1956.
5. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and R. Cheung, "Nonuniform sampling techniques for antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat, Vol. 35, No. 3, 268-279, 1987.
6. Dehghanian, V., M. Okhovvat, and M. Hakkak, "A new interpolation method for reconstructing non-uniformly spaced samples into uniform ones in planar near-field antenna measurements," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2003, Vol. 3, 207-210, Jun. 22–27, 2003.
7. Dehghanian, V., M. Okhovvat, and M. Hakkak, "A new interpolation technique for the reconstruction of uniformly spaced samples from non-uniformly spaced ones in plane-rectangular near-field antenna measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 47-59, 2007.
8. Bucci, O. M., C. Gennarelli, and C. Savarese, "Interpolation of electromagnetic radiated fields over a plane by nonuniform samples," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 41, No. 11, 1501-1508, 1993.
9. Wittmann, R. C., B. K. Alpert, and M. H. Francis, "Near-field antenna measurements using nonideal measurement locations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 5, 716-722, 1998.
10. Marvasti, F., Nonuniform Sampling, Theory and Practice, Kluwer, Norwell, 2001.
11. Petre, P. and T. K. Sarkar, "Planar near-field to far-field transformation using an equivalent magnetic current approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, No. 11, 1348-1356, 1992.
12. Sarkar, T. K. and A. Taaghol, "Near-field to near/far-field transformation for arbitrary near-field geometry utilizing an equivalent electric current and MoM," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 3, 566-573, 1999.
13. Taaghol, A. and T. K. Sarkar, "Near-field to near/far-field transformation for arbitrary near-field geometry, utilizing an equivalent magnetic current," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 38, No. 3, 536-542, 1996.
14. Las-Heras, F., M. R. Pino, S. Loredo, Y. Alvarez, and T. K. Sarkar, "Evaluating near-field radiation patterns of commercial antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2198-2207, 2006.
15. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, and M. R. Pino, "Reconstruction of equivalent currents distribution over arbitrary three-dimensional surfaces based on integral equation algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3460-3468, 2007.
16. Persson, K. and M. Gustafson, "Reconstruction of equivalent currents using a near-field data transformation with radome application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 179-198, 2005.
17. Schmidt, C. H., M. M. Leibfritz, and T. F. Eibert, "Fully probe-corrected near-field far-field transformation employing plane wave expansion and diagonal translation operators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 3, 737-746, 2008.
18. Schmidt, C. H. and T. F. Eibert, "Assessment of irregular sampling near-field far-field transformation employing plane-wave field representation," IEEE Magazine Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 3, 213-219, 2011.
19. Qureshi, M. A., C. H. Schmidt, and T. F. Eibert, "Adaptive sampling in multilevel plane wave based near-field far-field transformed planar near-field measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 481-497, 2012.
20. Schmidt, C. H. and T. F. Eibert, "Multilevel plane wave based near-field far-field transformation for electrically large antennas in free-space or above material halfspace," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1382-1390, 2009.
21. Farouq, M., M. Serhir, and D. Picard, "Matrix method for antenna plane wave spectrum calculation using irregularly distributed near-field data: Application to far-field assessment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 42, 71-83, 2015.
22. Paige, C. C. and M. A. Saunders, "LSQR: An algorithm for sparse linear equations and sparse least squares," ACM Trans. Mathematical Software, Vol. 8, No. 1, 1982.