Two novel microstrip MIMO antennas have been proposed and presented in this paper. The objective is to design a compact and dual-broadband MIMO antenna module appropriate for many wireless devices including WLAN, LTE and WiMax. The presented MIMO antennas have been analyzed, designed, simulated and investigated using CST_MW simulator. They have been fabricated (FR-4 substrate), and their scattering matrices and total efficiencies have been measured. The first MIMO antenna module is composed of four proposed broadband microstrip antennas arranged in two MIMO antenna pairs. The first MIMO pair resonates at 5.2 GHz (5.08-5.313 GHz) while the second pair resonates at 5.8 GHz (5.643-5.96 GHz). This MIMO antenna has a compact size of 40x40 mm2, dual-broadband, minimum mutual coupling below -25 dB, bandwidth greater than 225 MHz and gain of 3.8 dBi. The second MIMO antenna module consists of two proposed and modified dual-broadband microstrip monopole antennas, where, each has a dual resonance at 3.7 GHz (3.46-3.94 GHz) and 5.2 GHz (4.99-5.41 GHz). This MIMO antenna has an overall compact size of 20x50 mm2, minimum coupling below -22 dB, bandwidth greater than 425 MHz and gain of 2.5 dBi. Good agreement has been achieved between measured and simulated results. The proposed MIMO antennas cover many wireless applications with the following specifications: compact size, dual-broadband, moderate gain, good efficiency and high port-to-port isolation.
2. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 6, 311-335, 1998.
3. Casal, C. R., F. Schoute, and R. Prasald, "A novel concept for fourth generation mobile multimedia communication," 50th Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 1, 381-385, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Sep. 1999.
4. Shin, H. and J. H. Lee, "Capacity of multiple-antenna fading channels: Spatial fading correlation, double scattering, and keyhole," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 49, No. 10, 2636-2647, Oct. 2003.
5. Kumaravel, K., "Comparative study of 3G and 4G in mobile technology," IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 8, No. 5(3), 256-263, Sep. 2011.
6. Zhou, X., R. Li, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A compact broadband MIMO antenna for mobile handset applications," International Symposium (APSURSI) on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, 2010.
7. Zhang, T., et al., "A novel multiband planar antenna for GSM/UMTS/LTE/Zigbee/RFID mobile devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 11, 4209-4214, Nov. 2011.
8. Jagadeesh Babu, K., K. Sri Rama Krishna, and L. Pratap Reddy, "A multi slot patch antenna for 4G MIMO communications," International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Networking, Vol. 4, No. 2, 105-112, Jun. 2011.
9. See, C. H., et al., "Wideband printed MIMO/diversity monopole antenna for WiFi/WiMax applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2028-2035, Apr. 2012.
10. Li, J.-F., Q.-X. Chu, and T.-G. Huang, "A compact wideband MIMO antenna with two novel bent slits," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 482-489, Feb. 2012.
11. Su, S.-W., C.-T. Lee, and F.-S. Chang, "Printed MIMO-antenna system using neutralization-line technique for wireless USB-dongle applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 456-463, Feb. 2012.
12. Ayatollahi, M., Q. Rao, and D. Wang, "A compact, high isolation and wide bandwidth antenna array for long term evolution wireless devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4960-4963, Oct. 2012.
13. Lee, S. H., C. Y. Yang, and W. G. Yang, "High isolation MIMO antenna design by using ground slits for mobile handset," PIERS Proceedings, 589-593, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 19–23, 2012.
14. Zulkifli, F. Y., Daryanto, and E. T. Rahardjo, "Slot ring triangular patch antenna with stub for MIMO 2 × 2 wireless broadband applications," Proceedings of the International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), Vol. 2, 885-887, 2013.
15. Zhao, X., Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "MIMO antenna using resonance of ground planes for LTE mobile application," IEEE International Symposium (APSURSI) on Antennas and Propagation, 184-185, 2013.
16. Xia, X.-X., Q.-X. Chu, and J.-F. Li, "Design of a compact wideband MIMO antenna for mobile terminals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 163-174, 2013.
17. Addaci, R., et al., "Dual-band WLAN multiantenna system and diversity/MIMO performance evaluation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 3, 1409-1415, Mar. 2014.
18. Dioum, I., et al., "A novel compact dual-band LTE antenna-system for MIMO operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 2291-2296, Apr. 2014.
19. Roshan, R. and R. K. Singh, "Dual ISM band MIMO antenna for WiFi and WiMax application," International Conference on Signal Propagation and Computer Technology (ICSPCT), 209-213, 2014.
20. Yeh, J.-T., et al., "Compact internal antenna for handheld devices with comprehensive DTV band coverage," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 8, 3998-4007, Aug. 2014.
21. Wang, H., et al., "Wideband tri-port MIMO antenna with compact size and directional radiation pattern," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 18, 1261-1262, Aug. 28, 2014.
22. Moradi Kordalivand, A., et al., "Common elements widebandMIMO antenna system forWiFi/LTE access-point applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1601-1604, 2014.
23. Andujar, A. and J. Anguera, "MIMO multiband antenna system with non-resonant elements," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 1, 183-190, Jan. 2015.
234. Li, G., et al., "AMC-loaded wideband base station antenna for indoor access point in MIMO system," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 2, 525-533, Jan. 2015.
25. Kadu, M. B., et al., "Dual band microstrip patch antenna for MIMO system," International Conferenceon Pervasive Computing (ICPC), 1-4, Pune, Jan. 8–10, 2015.
26. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, J. Mumbru, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna with a parallel excitation of PIFA and slot radiators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 348-356, Feb. 2010.
27. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its effect on planar inverted-F antennas (PIFAs) for mobile phone handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 2003.
28. Wong, K. L., J. S. Kuo, and T. W. Chiou, "Compact microstrip antennas with slots loaded in the ground plane," 11th International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 480, Apr. 2001.