This paper proposes a hybrid multichannel processing method for spaceborne Hybrid Phased-MIMO SAR (HPMSAR) that can achieve different applications of multi-direction swath imaging on the same platform. The method is optimal because it is a combination of two-dimension (2-D) advanced digital beamforming (DBF) technology and multichannel pre-filter technology for high-resolution wide-swath SAR signal processing. Multichannel signal processing technology for future spaceborne SAR will no longer be single and this combination may be the best choice. The proposed method could avoid spectrum aliasing caused by low pulse repetition frequency (PRF), separate the overlapped echoes caused by different subpulses corresponding to multi-direction swathes and remove the range ambiguity and azimuth ambiguity deeply. At first, we build the signal model of HPMSAR system. Furthermore, the pre-filter design is presented by using matrix inversion method. Then, we address different methods applied to 2-D DBF and propose the advanced linearly constrained minimum variance (LCMV) method. Image results on simulated distributed targets validate the proposed hybrid multichannel processing method.
2. Krieger, G., N. Gebert, and A. Moreira, "Multidimensional radar waveforms," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 4937-4941, Barcelona, 2007.
3. Krieger, G., N. Gebert, and A. Moreira, "Multidimensional waveform encoding: A new digital beamforming technique for synthetic aperture radar remote sensing," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 1, 31-46, 2008.
4. De Zan, F. and A. M. Guarnieri, "TOPSAR: Terrain observation by progressive scans," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 9, 2352-2360, 2006.
5. Meta, A., et al., "TOPS imaging with TerraSAR-X: Mode design and performance analysis," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 2, 759-769, 2010.
6. Gebert, N., G. Krieger, and A. Moreira, "Multichannel azimuth processing in scanSAR and TOPS mode operation," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 7, 2994-3008, 2010.
7. Wollstadt, S., et al., "Bidirectional SAR imaging mode," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 51, No. 1, 601-614, 2013.
8. Suchandt, S., H. Runge, H. Breit, U. Steinbrecher, A. Kotenkov, and U. Balss, "Automatic extraction of tra±c °ows using TerraSAR-X alongtrack interferometry," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 2, 807-819, 2010.
9. Perissin, D. and A. Ferretti, "Urban-target recognition by means of repeated spaceborne SAR images," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 12, 4043-4058, 2007.
10. Chang, Y.-L., C.-Y. Chiang, and K. Chen, "SAR image simulation with application to target recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 35-57, 2011.
11. Zhang, L. and D. Chen, "Digital beamforming on receive in elevation for spaceborne hybrid phased-MIMO SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 40, 153-166, 2014.
12. Hassanien, A. and S. A. Vorobyov, "Phased-MIMO radar: A tradeo® between phased-array and MIMO radars," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1-33, 2010.
13. Fuhrmann, D. R., J. Paul Browning, and M. Rangaswamy, "Signaling strategies for the hybrid MIMO phased-array radar," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, No. 1, 66-78, 2010.
14. Ludwig, M., C. H. Buck, F. Coromina, and M. Suess, "Status and trends for space-borne phased array radar (INVITED)," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2005.
15. Huber, S., et al., "Digital beam forming concepts with application to spaceborne reflector SAR systems," International Radar Symposium (IRS), 1-4, 2010.
16. Feng, F., S. Li, W. Yu, P. Huang, and W. Xu, "Echo separation in multidimensional waveform encoding SAR remote sensing using an advanced null-steering beamformer," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 50, No. 10, 4157-4171, 2012.
17. Krieger, G., et al., "Digital beamforming and MIMO SAR: Review and new concepts," Synthetic Aperture Radar, 11-14, 2012.
18. Younis, M., et al., "Performance comparison of reflector- and planar-antenna based digital beam-forming SAR," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-13, 2009.
19. Bucci, O. M., T. Isernia, and A. F. Morabito, "An effective deterministic procedure for the synthesis of shaped beams by means of uniform-amplitude linear sparse arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 1, 169-175, 2013.
20. Gebert, N., G. Krieger, and A. Moreir, "Digital beamforming on receive: Techniques and optimization strategies for high-resolution wide-swath SAR imaging," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic System, Vol. 45, No. 2, 564-592, 2009.
21. Brown, J., "Multi-channel sampling of low-pass signals," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst., Vol. 28, No. 2, 101-106, 1981.
22. Trees, H. L. V., Optimum Array Processing, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2002.
23. Capon, J., "High-resolution frequency-wavenumber spectrum analysis," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 57, No. 8, 1408-1418, 1969.
24. Tseng, C.-Y. and L. J. Griffiths, "A simple algorithm to achieve desired patterns for arbitrary arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 40, No. 11, 2737-2746, 1992.
25. Wang, F., R. Yang, and C. Frank, "A new algorithm for array pattern synthesis using the recursive least squares method," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 10, No. 8, 235-238, 2003.
26. Tseng, C.-Y., "Minimum variance beamforming with phase-independent derivative constraints," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 3, 285-294, 1992.
27. Carlson, B. D., "Covariance matrix estimation errors and diagonal loading in adaptive arrays," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, No. 4, 397-401, 1988.