In this paper, a new de-embedding technique with Look-Up Table (LUT) is proposed for accurate and efficient characterization of interconnects, particularly printed circuit board (PCB) transmission lines including microstrip and stripline. LUT is pre-created to cover various fixture effects including the reference structures inside and/or outside test printed circuit boards (PCBs). The pre-established LUT is introduced to eliminate the errors of ``probing and launching fixtures'' in characterization of transmission lines. It is applied to characterization of loss of microstrip and stripline. Simulations and measurements are performed to verify its accuracy and feasibility. Results show it is in good agreement with conventional Delta-L like methods but significantly reduces the cost of characterization. It provides an accurate but cost-effective solution for characterization of high speed interconnects, in particular for high volume manufacturing environments.
2. Deutsch, A., R. S. Krabbenhoft, K. L.Melde, C. W. Surovic, G. A. Katopis, G. V. Kopcsay, Z. Zhou, Z. Chen, Y. H. Kwark, T.-M. Winkel, X. Gu, and T. E. Standaert, "Application of the short-pulse propagation technique for broadband characterization of PCB and other interconnect technologies," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 2, 266-287, May 2010.
3., , Keysight Application Note, 5990-8443EN, USA, August 1, 2014.
4. Loyer, J. and R. Kunze, "SET2DIL: Method to derive differential insertion loss from single-ended TDR/TDT measurements," DesignCon 2010, Santa Clara, CA, USA, 2010.
5. Huang, S., J. Loyer, R. Kunze, and B. Wu, "Method to reduce coupon lengths for transmission line S-parameter measurements through elimination of guided-wave multiple reflections," PIERS Proceedings, 2502-2509, Guangzhou, August 25-28, 2014.
6. Huang, S., J. Loyer, R. Kunze, and B. Wu, "Method to reduce coupon length for S-parameter measurements," DesignCon 2015, Santa Clara, CA, January 27-30, 2015.
7. Huang, S., "Method to improve the accuracy of mixed-mode S-parameters derived from single-ended results and application to shorter test coupon design," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Santa Clara, CA, March 15-20, 2015.
8. Huang, S. and B. Lee, "Novel de-embedding method with look-up table for characterization of interconnects," 2015 IEEE 24th Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging and Systems (EPEPS), San Jose, CA, October 25-28, 2015.
9. Hsu, J., T. Su, K. Xiao, X. Ye, S. Huang, and Y. L. Li, "Delta-L methodology for efficient PCB trace loss characterization," 2014 9th IEEE International In Microsystems, Packaging, Assembly and Circuits Technology Conference (IMPACT), 113-116, 2014.
10. Ye, X., J. Fan, and J. L. Drewniak, "New de-embedding techniques for PCB transmission-line characterization," DesignCon 2015, Santa Clara, CA, January 27-30, 2015.
11. Kumar, A. and G. Singh, "Measurement of dielectric constant and loss factor of the dielectric material at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 47-54, 2007.
12. Wu, Y. Q., Z. X. Tang, B. Zhang, and Y. H. Xu, "Permeability measurement of magnetic materials in microwave frequency range using support vector machine regression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 247-256, 2007.
13. He, X., Z.-X. Tang, B. Zhang, and Y. Wu, "A new deembedding method in permittivity measurement of ferroelectric thin film material," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 1-8, 2008.
14. Tiemeijer, L. F. and R. J. Havens, "A calibrated lumped-element de-embedding technique for on-wafer RF characterization of high-quality inductors and high-speed transistors," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 50, No. 3, 822-829, March 2003.
15. Cho, M. H., G. W. Huang, K. M. Chen, and A. S. Peng, "A novel cascade-based de-embedding method for on-wafer microwave characterization and automatic measurement," 2004 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 1237-1240, 2004.
16. Chou, Y.-H., M.-J. Jeng, Y.-H. Lee, and Y.-G. Jan, "Measurement of RF PCB dielectric properties and losses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 139-148, 2008.
17. Qian, C. and W. B. Dou, "A new approach for measuring permittivity of dielectric materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, 795-810, 2005.
18. Bogle, A., M. Havrilla, D. Nyquis, L. Kempel, and E. Rothwell, "Electromagnetic material characterization using a partially filled rectangular waveguide," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1291-1306, 2005.
19. Carroll, J., M. Li, and K. Chang, "New technique to measure transmission line attenuation," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 43, No. 1, 219-222, 1995.
20. Zhao, W., H.-B. Qin, and L. Qiang, "A calibration procedure for two-port VNA with three measurement channels based on T-matrix," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 29, 35-42, 2012.
21. Rumiantsev, A. and N. Ridler, "VNA calibration," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 9, No. 3, 86-99, 2008.
22. Ferrero, A., V. Teppati, M. Garelli, and A. Neri, "A novel calibration algorithm for a special class of multiport vector network analyzers," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 3, 693-699, 2008.
23. Marks, R. B., "A multiline method of network analyzer calibration," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 39, No. 7, 1205-1215, 1991.
24. Hasar, U. C., "A fast and accurate amplitude-only transmission-reflection method for complex permittivity determination of lossy materials," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2129-2135, 2008.
25. Hasar, U. C., "A new microwave method based on transmission scattering parameter measurements for simultaneous broadband and stable permittivity and permeability determination," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 161-176, 2009.
26. Kaatze, U., "Techniques for measuring the microwave dielectric properties of materials," Metrologia, Vol. 47, No. 2, S91-S113, 2010.
27. Zhang, H., S. Y. Tan, and H. S. Tan, "An improved method for microwave nondestructive dielectric measurement of layered media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 145-161, 2008.
28. Le Floch, J. M., F. Houndonougbo, V. Madrangeas, D. Cros, M. Guilloux-Viry, and W. Peng, "Thin film materials characterization using TE modes," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 549-559, 2009.
29. Jin, H., S. R. Dong, and D. M. Wang, "Measurement of dielectric constant of thin film materials at microwave frequencies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 809-817, 2009.
30. Wu, Y. Q., Z. X. Tang, Y. H. Xu, and B. Zhang, "Measuring complex permeability of ferromagnetic thin films using microstrip transmission method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 10, 1303-1311, 2009.
31. Challa, R. K., et al., "Permittivity measurement with a non-standard waveguide by using TRL calibration and fractional linear data fitting," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 1-13, 2008.
32. Wu, Y., Z. Tang, Y. Yu, and X. He, "A new method to avoid crowding phenomenon in extracting the permittivity of ferroelectric thin films," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 159-166, 2008.
33. Kharkovsky, S. N., M. F. Akay, U. C. Hasar, and C. D. Atis, "Measurement and monitoring of microwave reflection and transmission properties of cement-based materials," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1210-1218, 2002.
34. Nicolson, A. M. and G. Ross, "Measurement of the intrinsic properties of materials by time-domain techniques," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 19, No. 4, 377-382, 1970.
35. Weir, W. B., "Automatic measurement of complex dielectric constant and permeability at microwave frequencies," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, No. 1, 33-36, 1974.
36. Smith, D. R. and S. Schultz, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 195104(5), 2002.
37. Baker-Jarvis, J., E. J. Vanzura, and W. A. Kissick, "Improved technique for determining complex permittivity with the transmission/reflection method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1096-1103, 1990.
38. Boughriet, A. H., C. Legrand, and A. Chapoton, "Noniterative stable transmission/reflection method for low-loss material complex permittivity determination," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 1, 52-57, 1997.
39. Mahony, J. D., "Measurements to estimate the relative permittivity and loss tangent of thin, low-loss materials," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 47, No. 3, 83-87, 2005.
40. Muqaibel, A. H. and A. Safaai-Jazi, "A new formulation for characterization of materials based on measured insertion transfer function," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1946-1951, 2003.
41. Ness, J., "Broad-band permittivity measurements using the semi-automatic network analyzer," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 33, No. 11, 1222-1226, 1985.
42. Bockelman, D. E. and W. R. Eisenstadt, "Combined differential and common-mode scattering parameters: Theory and simulation," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 7, 1530-1539, 1995.