This paper presents a miniaturized ultra wideband (UWB) antenna with metamaterial for WLAN and WiMax applications. For miniaturization of UWB antenna resonating 3.1-10.6 is designed Ghz using fractalization of the radiating edge and slotted ground structure approach. A miniaturization of active patch area and antenna volume is achieved up to 63.48% and 42.24% respectively, with respect to the conventional monopole UWB antenna. This antenna achieves a 143% impedance bandwidth covering the frequency band from 2.54 GHz to 15.36 GHz under simulation and 132% (2.95-14.28 GHz) in measurement. The electrical dimension of this antenna is 0.32 × 0.32 (38mm × 38mm) at lower frequency of 2.54 GHz. As per IEEE 802.11a/b/g and IEEE 802.16e standards, WLAN (2.4 -2.5 GHz, 5.150 -5.250 GHz, 5.725 -5.825 GHz), WiMAX (3.3-3.8 GHz) bands are achieved by using slotted ground structure and metamaterial rectangular split ring resonator. The proposed antenna is fabricated on FR4 substrate of thickness 1.6 mm and a dielectric constant 4.3 and tested. The proposed antenna yields a −10 dB impedance bandwidth of about 11.1% (2.39-2.67 GHz), 59.1% (2.87-5.28 GHz) and 7.4% (5.58-6.01 GHz) under simulation and 4.5% (2.41-2.52 GHz), 51.1% (3.12-5.26 GHz) and 3.8% (5.69-5.91 GHz) in measurement for 2.4, 3.5 & 5 and 5.8 GHz bands respectively. Stable radiation patterns with low cross polarization, high average antenna gain of 3.02 dBi under simulation and 2.14 dBi in measurement and measured peak average radiation efficiency of 76.6% are observed for the operating bands. Experimental results seem in good agreement with the simulated ones of the proposed antenna.
2. Elftouh, H., N. A. Touhami, M. Aghoutane, S. El Amrani, A. Tazon, and M. Boussouis, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014.
3. Elftouh, H., N. A. Touhami, and M. Aghoutane, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with spiral defected microstrip structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 53, 37-44, 2015.
4. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WIMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
5. Shrestha, S., S. R. Lee, and D.-Y. Choi, "New fractal-based miniaturized dual band patch antenna for rf energy harvesting," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 2014.
6. Gianvittorio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 1, 20-36, 2002.
7. Suganthi, S., S. Raghavan, and D. Kumar, "Miniature fractal antenna design and simulation for wireless applications," IEEE RAICS, 57-61, 2011.
8. Liua, W.-C., C.-M. Wua, and N.-C. Chu, "A compact low profile dual-band antenna for WLAN and WAVE applications," AEU Int. J. Electron. C, Vol. 66, 467-471, 2012.
9. Saraswat, R. K. and M. Kumar, "A frequency band reconfigurable uwb antenna for high gain applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 64, 29-45, 2015.
10. Kumar, M., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "UWB printed slot antenna with improved performance in time and frequency domains," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 197-210, 2011.
11. Kumar, M., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "Circuits and active antennas for ultrawideband pulse generation and transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 251-272, 2010.
12. Su, S.-W., "Compact four loop antenna system for concurrent, 2.4 and 5 GHz WLAN operation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 1, 208-215, 2014.
13. Chien, H. Y., C. Y. D. Sim, and C. H. Lee, "Dual band meander monopole antenna for WLAN operation in laptop computer," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 694-697, 2013.
14. Huang, C.-Y. and E.-Z. Yu, "A slot monopole antenna for dual band WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 500-502, 2011.
15. Ghatak, R., R. K. Mishra, and D. R. Poddar, "Perturbed Sierpinski carpet antenna with CPW feed for IEEE 802.11a/b WLAN application," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 742-745, 2008.
16. Xu, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, and Y.-C. Luan, "Compact CPW-fed printed monopole antenna with triple band characteristics for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 24, 1519-1520, 2012.
17. Sim, C. Y. D., H. D. Chen, K. C. Chiu, and C. H. Chao, "Coplanar waveguide fed slot antenna for wireless local area network/worldwide interoperability for microwave access applications," IET Microw. Antenna Propag., Vol. 6, No. 14, 1529-1535, 2012.
18. Basaran, S. C., U. Olgun, and K. Sertel, "Multiband monopole antenna with complementary split ring resonators for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 10, 636-638, 2013.
19. Zhang, X.-Q., Y.-C. Jiao, and W.-H. Wang, "Compact wide tri-band slotantenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 2, 64-65, 2012.
20. Li, X., X.-W. Shi, W. Hu, P. Fei, and J.-F. Yu, "Compact triband ACS fed monopole antenna employing open ended slots for wireless communication," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 388-391, 2013.
21. Liu, P., Y. Zou, B. Xie, X. Liu, and B. Sun, "Compact CPW fed tri band printed antenna with meandering split ring slot for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1242-1244, 2012.
22. Xu, H.-X., G.-M.Wang, J.-G. Liang, M.-Q. Qi, and X. Gao, "Compact circularly polarized antennas combining meta-surfaces and strong space-filling meta-resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3442-3450, 2013.
23. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, and M.-Q. Qi, "A miniaturized triple-band metamaterial antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 275-292, 2013.
24. Xu, H.-X., G.-M.Wang, M.-Q. Qi, C.-X Zhang., J.-G. Liang, J.-Q. Gong, and Y.-C. Zhou, "Analysis and design of two-dimensional resonant-type composite right/left-handed transmission lines with compact gain-enhanced resonant antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 735-747, 2013.
25. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, Y.-Y. Lv, M.-Q. Qi, X. Gao, and S. Ge, "Multi frequency monopole antennas by loading metamaterial transmission lines with dual-shunt branch circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 703-725, 2013.
26. Basaran, S. C. and Y. E. Erdemli, "A dual band split ring monopole antenna for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 11, 2685-2688, 2009.
27. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-785, 2012.
28. Xiong, J., H. Li, Y. Jin, and S. He, "Modified TM020 mode of a rectangular patch antenna partially loaded with metamaterial for dual band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1006-1009, 2009.
29. Zhu, J. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Dual band metamaterial inspired small monopole antenna for WiFi applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 22, 1104-1106, 2009.
30. Computer Simulation Technology - CST(Microwave Studio MWS) Version-2014, .
31. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 195104-9, 2002.
32. Chen, H., J. Zhang, Y. Bai, Y. Luo, L. Ran, Q. Jiang, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental retrieval of the effective parameters of metamaterials based on a waveguide method," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, No. 26, 12944-12949, 2006.
33. Saha, C. and J. Y. Siddiqui, "Versatile CAD formulation for estimation of the resonant frequency and magnetic polarizability of circular split ring resonators," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 21, 432-438, 2011.
34. Ray, K. P. and G. Kumar, "Determination of resonant frequency of microstrip antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 23, 114-117, 1999.
35. Rahimi, M., F. B. Zarrabi, R. Ahmadian, Z. Mansouri, and A. Keshtkar, "Miniaturization of antenna for wireless application with difference metamaterial structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 19-29, 2014.