An experimental setup and data reduction method has been developed for noninvasive high frequency electromagnetic impedance measurements of carbon nanotube (CNT)/epoxy nanocomposites. Using time domain reflectometry and parallel plate transmission lines, dielectric properties can be measured with the specimen under tensile loading. Good dispersion and addition of CNTs lead to an increase in high frequency dielectric constant of the nanocomposites. A strong strain dependence of the impedance is observed for the well dispersed nanocomposite while the baseline epoxy showed no strain dependence. A mechanism, based on an increase in CNT-CNT tunneling capacitance with applied tensile strain has been suggested. This research is expected to introduce a noninvasive characterization technique for studying electromagnetic properties of conductive nanocomposites.
2. Kim, H. M., K. Kim, C. Y. Lee, J. Joo, S. J. Cho, H. S. Yoon, D. A. Pejakovic, J. W. Yoo, and A. J. Epstein, "Electrical conductivity and electromagnetic interference shielding of multiwalled carbon nanotube composites containing fe catalyst," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 4, 589-591, 2004.
3. Arjmand, M., M. Mahmoodi, G. A. Gelves, S. Park, and U. Sundararaj, "Electrical and electromagnetic interference shielding properties of flow-induced oriented carbon nanotubes in polycarbonate," Carbon, Vol. 49, No. 11, 3430-3440, September 2011.
4. Thostenson, E. T. and T. Chou, "Processing-structure-multi-functional property relationship in carbon nanotube/epoxy composites RID B-8587-2008," Carbon, Vol. 44, No. 13, 3022-3029, November 2006.
5. Mierczynska, A., M. Mayne-L'Hermite, G. Boiteux, and J. K. Jeszka, "Electrical and mechanical properties of carbon nanotube/ultrahigh-molecular-weight polyethylene composites prepared by a filler prelocalization method," J. Appl. Polym. Sci., Vol. 105, No. 1, 158-168, July 5, 2007.
6. Ayatollahi, M. R., S. Shadlou, M. M. Shokrieh, and M. Chitsazzadeh, "Effect of multi-walled carbon nanotube aspect ratio on mechanical and electrical properties of epoxy-based nanocomposites," Polym. Test., Vol. 30, No. 5, 548-556, August 2011.
7. Lee, S. H., M. W. Kim, S. H. Kim, and J. R. Youn, "Rheological and electrical properties of polypropylene/MWCNT composites prepared with MWCNT masterbatch chips," European Polymer Journal, Vol. 44, No. 6, 1620-1630, June 2008.
8. Bauhofer, W. and J. Z. Kovacs, "A review and analysis of electrical percolation in carbon nanotube polymer composites," Composites Sci. Technol., Vol. 69, No. 10, 1486-1498, 2009.
9. Li, C., E. T. Thostenson, and T. Chou, "Dominant role of tunneling resistance in the electrical conductivity of carbon nanotube-based composites RID C-8998-2011 RID B-8587-2008," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, No. 22, 223114, November 26, 2007.
10. Rutherglen, C. and P. Burke, "Nanoelectromagnetics: Circuit and electromagnetic properties of carbon nanotubes," Small, Vol. 5, No. 8, 884-906, 2009.
11. Smolyansky, D. and S. Corey, "PCB interconnect characterization from TDR measurements," Electronic Engineering, Vol. 71, No. 870, 63, July 1999.
12. O'Connor, K. M. and C. M. Dowding, Geomeasurements by Pulsing TDR Cables and Probes, 402, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1999.
13. Lin, M. and J. Thaduri, Structural Damage Detection Using an Embedded ETDR Distributed Strain Sensor, 315, Springer, New York, 2005.
14. Chen, G., H. Mu, D. Pommerenke, and J. L. Drewniak, "Damage detection of reinforced concrete beams with novel distributed Crack/Strain sensors," Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 3, No. 3, 225-243, September 1, 2004.
15. Dominauskas, A., D. Heider, J. W., Gillespie, and Jr., "Electric time-domain reflectometry distributed flow sensor," Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 38, No. 1, 138, 2007.
16. Obaid, A. A., S. Yarlagadda, M. K. Yoon, N. E. Hager, and R. C. Domszy, "A time-domain reflectometry method for automated measurement of crack propagation in composites during mode I DCB testing," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 40, No. 22, 2047-2066, November.
17. Pandey, G., M. Wolters, E T. Thostenson, and D. Heider, "Localized functionally modified glass fibers with carbon nanotube networks for crack sensing in composites using time domain reflectometry," Carbon, Vol. 50, No. 10, 3816-3825, 2012.
18. Ahir, S. and E. Terentjev, "Photomechanical actuation in polymer-nanotube composites," Nature Materials, Vol. 4, No. 6, 491-495, June 2005.
19. Ahir, S., A. Squires, A. Tajbakhsh, and E. Terentjev, "Infrared actuation in aligned polymer-nanotube composites RID B-7623-2011," Physical Review B, Vol. 73, No. 8, 085420, February 2006.
20. Koerner, H., G. Price, N. Pearce, M. Alexander, and R. Vaia, "Remotely actuated polymer nanocomposites-stress-recovery of carbon-nanotube-filled thermoplastic elastomers," Nature Materials, Vol. 3, No. 2, 115-120, February 2004.
21. Rochefort, A., P. Avouris, F. Lesage, and D. Salahub, "Electrical and mechanical properties of distorted carbon nanotubes RID A-5124-2010," Physical Review B, Vol. 60, No. 19, 13824-19330, November 15, 1999.
22. Kenneth, J. L., J. Kim, J. P. Lynch, N. Wong, S. Kam, and A. K. Nicholas, "Multifunctional layer-by-layer carbon nanotube-polyelectrolyte thin films for strain and corrosion sensing," Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 16, No. 2, 429, 2007.
23. Park, M., H. Kim, and J. P. Youngblood, "Strain-dependent electrical resistance of multi-walled carbon nanotube/polymer composite films," Nanotechnology, Vol. 19, No. 5, 055705, 2008.
24. Pham, G. T., Y. Park, Z. Liang, C. Zhang, and B. WangPham, G. T., Y. Park, Z. Liang, C. Zhang, B. Wang, "Processing and modeling of conductive thermoplastic/carbon nanotube films for strain sensing," Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol. 39, No. v, 209-216, 2008.
25. Anandand, S. V. and D. R. Mahapatra, "Quasi-static and dynamic strain sensing using carbon nanotube/epoxy nanocomposite thin films," Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 18, No. 4, 045013, 2009.
26. Hu, N., Y. Karube, M. Arai, T. Watanabe, C. Yan, Y. Li, Y. Liu, and H. Fukunaga, "Investigation on sensitivity of a polymer/carbon nanotube composite strain sensor," Carbon, Vol. 48, No. 3, 680-687, 2010.
27. Srivastava, R. K., V. S. M. Vemuru, Y. Zeng, R. Vajtai, S. Nagarajaiah, P. M. Ajayan, and A. Srivastava, "The strain sensing and thermal-mechanical behavior of flexible multi-walled carbon nanotube/polystyrene composite films," Carbon, Vol. 49, No. 12, 3928-3936, October 2011.
28. Fellner-Feldegg, H., "Measurement of dielectrics in the time domain," J. Phys. Chem., Vol. 73, No. 3, 616-623, 1969.
29. Castiglione, P. and P. J. Shouse, "The effect of ohmic cable losses on time-domain re°ectometry measurements of electrical conductivity," Soil Science Society of America Journal, Vol. 67, No. 2, March 2003.
30. Robinson, D. A. and S. P. Friedman, Parallel Plates Compared with Conventional Rods as TDR Waveguides for Sensing Soil Moisture, 497, Springer, Netherlands, 2000.
31. Faria, J. A. B., Electromagnetic Foundations of Electrical Engineering, 399, Wiley, Chichester, U.K., 2008.
32. Schlaeger, S., "A fast TDR-inversion technique for the reconstruction of spatial soil moisture content," Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., Vol. 9, No. 5, 481-492, 2005.
33. Platt, I. G. and I. M. Woodhead, "A 1D inversion for non-invasive time domain reflectometry," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 19, No. 5, 055708, May 2008.
34. Hsue, C.-W. and T.-W. Pan, "Reconstruction of nonuniform transmission lines from timedomain reflectometry," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 1, 32-38, 1997.
35. Banninger, D., H. Wunderli, M. Nussberger, and H. Fluhler, "Inversion of TDR signals revisited," Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, Vol. 171, No. 2, 137-145, 2008.
36. Christopoulos, C., The Transmission-line Modeling Method: TLM, Oxford University Press, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Oxford, New York, 1995.
37. Thostenson, E. T., S. Ziaee, and T. Chou, "Processing and electrical properties of carbon nanotube/vinyl ester nanocomposites," Composites Sci. Technol., Vol. 69, No. 6, 801-804, May 2009.
38. Dang, Z., S. Yao, and H. Xu, "Effect of tensile strain on morphology and dielectric property in nanotube/polymer nanocomposites," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 90, No. 1, 012907-012907-3, 2007.
39. Lee, H. Y. and Y. M. Shkel, "Dielectric response of solids for contactless detection of stresses and strains," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 137, No. 2, 287, 2007.
40. Lee, H. Y., Y. Peng, and Y. M. Shkel, Strain-dielectric response of dielectrics as foundation for electrostriction stresses, American Institute of Physics, 2005.
41. Lan, C., P. Srisungsitthisunti, P. B. Amama, T. S. Fisher, X. Xu, and R. G. Reifenberger, "Measurement of metal/carbon nanotube contact resistance by adjusting contact length using laser ablation," Nanotechnology, Vol. 19, No. 12, 125703, 2008.
42. Noborio, K., "Measurement of soil water content and electrical conductivity by time domain reflectometry: A review," Comput. Electron. Agric., Vol. 31, No. 3, 213-237, 2001.