Recently, researchers were interested in neural algorithms for optimization problems for several communication systems. This paper shows a novel algorithm based on neural technique presented to enhance the performance analysis of beam-forming in smart antenna technology using N elements for Uniform Circular Array (UCA) and Concentric Circular Array (CCA) geometries. To demonstrate the effectiveness and reliability of the proposed approach, simulation results are carried out in MATLAB. The radiators are considered isotropic, and hence mutual coupling effects are ignored. The proposed array shows a considerable improvement against the existing structures in terms of 3-D scanning, size, directivity, HPBW and SLL reduction. The results show that multilayer feed-forward neural networks are robust and can solve complex antenna problems. However, artificial neural network (ANN) is able to generate very fast the results of synthesis by using generalization with early stopping method. Important gain in the running time and memory used is obtained using this latter method for improving generalization (called early stopping). To validate this work, several examples are shown.
1. Luo, Z., X. He, X. Chen, X. Luo, and X. Li, "Synthesis of thinned concentric circular antenna arrays using modified TLBO algorithm," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2015, 9 pages, Article ID 586345, 2015.
2. Albagory, Y. and O. Said, "Optimizing concentric circular antenna arrays for high-altitude platforms wireless sensor networks," I.J. Computer Network and Information Security, Vol. 5, 1-8, 2014.
3. Reyna Maldonado, A., M. A. Panduro, and C. del Rio-Bocio, "On the design of concentric ring array for isoflux radiation in Meo satellites based on PSO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 20, 243-255, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11080411
4. Reynaa, A., M. A. Panduroa, D. H. Covarrubias, and A. Mendeza, "Design of steerable concentric rings array for low side lobe level," Scientia Iranica, Vol. 19, No. 3, 727-732, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1016/j.scient.2011.08.028
5. Zhang, L., Y.-C. Jiao, and B. Chen, "Optimization of concentric ring array geometry for 3D beam scanning," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 5 pages, Article ID 625437, 2012.
6. Yan, K.-K. and Y. Lu, "Sidelobe reduction in array-pattern synthesis using genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 7, Jul. 1997.
7. Mandal, D., S. P. Ghoshal, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Optimized radii and excitations with concentric circular antenna array for maximum sidelobe level reduction using wavelet mutation based particle swarm optimization techniques," Telecommunication Systems, Vol. 52, No. 4, 2015-2025, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1007/s11235-011-9482-8
8. Elsaidy, E. I., M. I. Dessouky, S. Khamis, and Y. A. Albagory, "Concentric circular antenna array synthesis using comprehensive learning particle swarm optimizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 29, 1-13, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11112506
9. Rawata, A., R. N. Yadavb, and S. C. Shrivastavac, "Neural network applications in smart antenna arrays: A review," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 66, No. 11, 903-912, Nov. 2012. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2012.03.012
10. Zaharis, Z. D., K. A. Gotsis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Comparative study of neural network training applied to adaptive beamforming of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 269-283, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12012408
11. Guo, H., C.-J. Guo, Y. Qu, and J. Ding, "Pattern synthesis of concentric circular antenna array by nonlinear least-square method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 50, 331-346, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13030304
12. Dudczyk, J. and A. Kawalec, "Adaptive forming of the beam pattern of microstrip antenna with the use of an artificial neural network," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 13 pages, Article ID 935073, 2012.
13. Ali, B. A. A., M. S. Salit, E. S. Zainudin, and M. Othman, "Integration of artificial neural network and expert system for material classi¯cation of natural fibre reinforced polymer composites," American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 3, 174-184, Apr. 2015. doi:10.3844/ajassp.2015.174.184
14. Ghayoula, R., N. Fadlallah, A. Gharsallah, and M. Rammal, "Phase-only adaptive nulling with neural networks for antenna array synthesis," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 1, 154-163, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20070256
15. Merad, L., F. T. Bendimerad, S. M. Meriah, and S. A. Djennas, "Neural networks for synthesis and optimization of antenna arrays," Radioengineering, Vol. 16, No. 1, Apr. 2007.
16. Kapetanakis, T. N., I. O. Vardiambasis, G. S. Liodakis, M. P. Ioannidou, and A. M. Maras, "Smart antenna design using neural networks," 8th International Conference: New Horizons in Industry, Business and Education (NHIBE 2013), 130-135, Chania, Greece, 2013.
17. Pei, B., H. Han, Y. Sheng, and B. Qiu, "Research on smart antenna beamforming by generalized regression neural network," 2013 IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Communication and Computing (ICSPCC), 2013.
18. Wang, L., H. C. Quek, K. H. Tee, N. Zhou, and C. Wan, "Optimal size of a feedforward neural network: How much does it matter?," Joint International Conference on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems and International Conference on Networking and Services, Papeete, Tahiti, Oct. 23-28, 2005.