This paper deals with the comparison of two actuators with different frameworks, for a direct drive active stick application. Each actuator will be compared with three different sets of specifications which impose many constraints as: high torque, small volume, low temperature, etc. The high required torque per unit of mass and the small volume allowed involve the use of synchronous Halbach permanent magnet (PM) topologies which have the best torque performances. In this article, an analysis and a comparison of two optimized actuators designed with a Halbach configuration are done. It is a linear actuator and a double airgap rotating actuator. The electromagnetic torque is calculated by the Laplace force for which the flux density generated by the Halbach PM configuration is defined by a Laplace equation and a Poisson equation. An analytical optimization under a set of nonlinear constraints will be realized with the analytical expressions of the torque we got previously. In order to validate the analytical model, finite-element analysis (FEA) simulations will be performed on the optimized structure. Finally, two actuators will be compared in order to give the best compromises for the stick application for each set of specifications.
2. Hanke, D. and C. Herbst, "Active sidestick technology: A means for improving situational awareness," Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 3, 1999.
3. Hegg, J. W., M. P. Smith, L. Yount, and J. Todd, "Features of active sidestick controllers," IEEE Aerospace and Electronics Systems Magazine, Vol. 7, 1995.
4. Jang, S. M., J. Y. Choi, S. H. Lee, H. W. Cho, and W. B. Jang, "Analysis and experimental verification of moving-magnet linear actuator with cylindrical Halbach array," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 40, No. 4, 2068-2070, 2004.
5. Ben Ahmed, H., B. Multon, and M. Ruellan, "Actionneurs lineaires directs et indirects," revue3EI, 38-58, 2004.
6. Amara, Y. and G. Barakat, "Analytical modeling of magnetic field in surface mounted permanent magnet tubular linear machines," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 11, 3870-3884, 2010.
7. Yan, L., L. Zhang, J. Y. Wang, Z. Jiao, C. Y. Chen, and I. M. Chen, "Magnetic field of tubular linear machines with dual Halbach array," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 136, 283-299, 2013.
8. Allias, J. F., J. F. Llibre, C. Henaux, Y. Briere, and D. Alazard, "A global approach for the study of forces developed by a tubular liear moving magnet actuator," XXI International Conference on Electrical Machines ICEM, 2014.
9. Allias, J. F., J. F. Llibre, D. Harribey, C. Henaux, and D. Alazard, "Approche globale de l etude des efforts developpes par un actionneur MMA tubulaire," Symposium de Genie Electrique SGE, 2014.
10. Mohammadi, S. and M. Mirsalim, "Analytical design framework for torque and back-EMF optimization, and inductance calculation in double-rotor radial-°ux air-cored permanent-magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 50, No. 1, 2014.
11. Chikouche, B. L., K. Boughrara, and R. Ibtiouen, "Cogging torque minimization of surface- mounted permanent magnet synchronous machines using hybrid magnet shapes," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 62, 49-61, 2015.
12. Bianchi, N., "Analytical computation of magnetic fields and thrusts in a tubular PM linear servo motor," IEEE Industry Application Conference, Vol. 1, 21-28, Rome, Italy, 2000.
13. Trumper, D. L., W. J. Kim, and M. E. Williams, "Design and analysis framework for linear permanent magnet machines," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 32, No. 2, 1996.
14. Harribey, D., J. F. Allias, J. F. Llibre, and C. Henaux, "Dispositif de commande passif magnetique," Patent, WO2015150439A2, 2015.
15. Allias, J. F., "Dimensionnement d un actionneur pour organe de pilotage a entrainement direct avec redondance passive magnetique," These de l Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, 2015.
16. Dubas, F., C. Espanet, and A. Miraoui, "Modelisation analytique et maximisation de l'induction magnetique a vide d'un moteur a aimants montes en surface," Electrotechnique du Futur, 2003.
17. Fitan, E., F. Messine, and B. Nogarede, "The electromagnetic actuator design problem: A general and rational approach," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 40, No. 3, 2004.
18. Naimi, D. and T. Bouktir, "Optimal power flow using interior point method," International Conference on Electrical Engineering Design and Technologies, Hammamet, Tunisia, 2007.