Interior bearingless permanent magnet synchronous motors (IBPMSMs) are a new type of machines having two sets of windings in the stator, offering no lubrication and no mechanical friction, high efficiency, robust rotor construction, hybrid torque production nature and flux-weakening capability. In this paper, the suspension force modeling and the static electromagnetic characteristics of an IBPMSM are studied. The suspension force model of the IBPMSM is established and investigated based on the Maxwell tensor method. And then the static electromagnetic characteristics, including permanent magnet (PM) flux linkage, EMF, inductances, electromagnetic torque and suspension force, are discussed with the finite element analysis (FEA) method. The electromagnetic characteristics of the IBPMSM are very helpful for the design and optimization of the motor. The effectiveness of the proposed suspension force mathematical model is verified by comparing the theoretical results with FEA-based predictions. The work in this paper lays an important foundation for the optimization design and control strategies of the IBPMSM.
2. Huang, J., B. Li, H. Jiang, and M. Kang, "Analysis and control of multiphase permanent-magnet bearingless motor with a single set of half-coiled winding," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, 3137-3145, 2014.
3. Ichikawa, O., A. Chiba, and T. Fukao, "Inherently decoupled magnetic suspension in homopolar-type bearingless motors," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 37, 1668-1674, 2001.
4. Bartholet, M. T., T. Nussbaumer, D. Krahenbuhl, F. Zurcher, and J. W. Kolar, "Modulation concepts for the control of a two-phase bearingless slice motor utilizing three-phase power modules," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 46, 831-840, 2010.
5. Sun, X., L. Chen, and Z. Yang, "Overview of bearingless permanent-magnet synchronous motors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, 5528-5538, 2013.
6. Sun, X., H. Zhu, and Z. Yang, "Nonlinear modeling of flux linkage for a bearingless permanent magnet synchronous motor with modified particle swarm optimization and least squares support vector machines," Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 10, 412-418, 2013.
7. Hiromi, T., T. Katou, A. Chiba, M. A. Rahman, and T. Fukao, "A novel magnetic suspension-force compensation in bearingless induction-motor drive with squirrel-cage rotor," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 43, 66-76, 2007.
8. Chiba, A. and J. Asama, "Influence of rotor skew in induction type bearingless motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, 4646-4649, 2012.
9. Wang, H., J. Liu, J. Bao, and B. Xue, "A novel bearingless switched reluctance motor with a biased permanent magnet," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, 6947-6955, 2014.
10. Takemoto, M., A. Chiba, and T. Fukao, "A method of determining the advanced angle of square-wave currents in a bearingless switched reluctance motor," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 37, 1702-1709, 2001.
11. Sun, X., L. Chen, Z. Yang, and H. Zhu, "Analysis of inductance characteristics for a bearingless permanent magnet synchronous motor," Electrical Engineering, Vol. 95, 277-286, 2013.
12. Miyamoto, N., T. Enomoto, M. Amada, J. Asama, A. Chiba, T. Fukao, S. Iwasaki, and M. Takemoto, "Suspension characteristics measurement of a bearingless motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, 2795-2798, 2009.
13. Sun, X. and H. Zhu, "Study on static electromagnetic characteristics of a bearingless permanent magnet synchronous motor," Advanced Science Letters, Vol. 4, 1-9, 2011.
14. Sun, X., L. Chen, Z. Yang, H. Zhu, W. Zuo, and K. Shi, "Modeling of a bearingless permanent magnet synchronous motor considering rotor eccentricity and coupling relationship of windings," Diangong Jishu Xuebao/Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 28, 63-70, 2013.
15. Cao, X., Z. Deng, G. Yang, Y. Yang, and X. Wang, "Mathematical model of bearingless switched reluctance motors based on Maxwell stress tensor method," Zhongguo Dianji Gongcheng Xuebao/Proceedings of the Chinese Society of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 29, 78-83, 2009.
16. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, and M. B. B. Sharifian, "Time stepping finite element analysis of broken bars fault in a three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 53-70, 2007.
17. Yang, Z. B., R. Jin, X. D. Sun, and W. Y. Zhang, "Study on radial suspension force of single winding bearingless induction motor based on two-fundamental wave method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 47, 13-25, 2016.
18. Pahlavani, M. and H. Omran, "A new analytical description and FEA validation of an e®ective method to reduce the cogging torque in SM-AFPM motors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 42, 189-197, 2015.