Array antennas synthesis is one of the most important problems in the optimization of antenna and electromagnetics. In this paper, a recently developed metaheuristic algorithm, known as the Gravitational Search Algorithm (GSA), is employed for the pattern synthesis of linear and non-uniform planar antenna arrays with desired pattern nulls in the interfering directions and minimum side lobe level (SLL) by position-only optimization. Like other nature-inspired algorithms, GSA is also a population-based method and uses a population of solutions to proceed to a global solution. The results of GSA are validated by comparing them with the results obtained using particle swarm optimization (PSO) and some other algorithms reported in literature for linear and planar array. The side-lobe level and null depth obtained from gravitational search algorithm for planar array are improved up to -30 dB and -200 dB, respectively. The results reveal the superior performance of GSA to the other techniques for the design of linear and planar antenna arrays.
2. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, 993-999, 1994.
3. Chatterjee, A., G. K. Mahanti, and P. R. S. Mahapatra, "Generation of phase-only pencil-beam pair from concentric ring array antenna using gravitational search algorithm," 2011 International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing, 384-388, 2011.
4. Chatterjee, A., G. K. Mahanti, and P. R. S. Mahapatra, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable dual-beam concentric ring array antenna using gravitational search algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 59-72, 2011.
5. Chatterjee, A., G. K. Mahanti, and N. N. Pathak, "Comparative performance of gravitational search algorithm and modified particle swarm optimization algorithm for synthesis of thinned scanned concentric ring array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 331-348, 2010.
6. Singh, U. and M. Rattan, "Design of linear and circular antenna arrays using cuckoo optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 1-11, 2004.
7. Bera, R., D. Mandal, R. Kar, and S. P. Ghoshal, "Application of improved particle swarm optimization technique for thinning of concentric hexagonal array antenna," World Congress on Information and Communication Technologies (WICT), IEEE, 2014.
8. Roy, G. G., S. Das, and P. Chakraborty, "Design of non-uniform circular antenna arrays using a modified invasive weed optimization algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 110-118, January 2011.
9. Goswami, B. and D. Mandal, "Genetic algorithm for nulls and side lobe level control in a linear antenna array," Journal of King Saud University — Computer and Information Sciences, June 2012.
10. Florence, P. V. and G. S. N. Raju, "Synthesis of linear antenna arrays using accelerate particle swarm optimization algorithm," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 103, No. 3, 43-49, October 2014.
11. Wu, H. and C. Liu, "Planar array synthesis with sidelobe reduction and null control using invasive weed optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 33, 83-94, 2013.
12. Jeyali Laseetha, T. S. and R. Sukanesh, "Synthesis of linear antenna array using genetic algorithm to maximum side lobe level reduction," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 27-33, April 2011.
13. Abdul Rani, K. N. and F. Malek, "Symmetric linear antenna array geometry synthesis using cuckoo search metaheuristic algorithm," Asia Pacific Conference on Communications, October 2011.
14. Prado, D. R., J. Alvarez, M. Arrebola, M. R. Pino, R. G. Ayestaran, and F. Las-Heras, "Efficient, accurate and scalable reflectarray phase-only synthesis based on the LevenbergMarquardt algorithm," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 30, No. 12, 1246-1255, December 2015.
15. Perini, J. and M. Idselis, "Note on antenna pattern synthesis using numerical iterative methods," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 19, No. 2, 284-286, March 1971.
16. Zhou, M., S. B. Sorensen, O. S. Kim, E. Jorgensen, P. Meincke, and O. Breinbjerg, "Direct optimization of printed reflectarrays for contoured beam satellite antenna applications," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1995-2004, April 2013.
17. Prado, D. R., M. Arrebola, M. R. Pino, and F. Las-Heras, "Complex reflection coefficients synthesis applied to dual-polarized reflectarrays with crosspolar requirements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 3897-3907, September 2015.
18. Bucci, O. M., G. Franceschetti, G. Mazzarella, and G. Panariello, "Intersection approach to array pattern synthesis," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 137, No. 6, 349-357, December 1990.
19. Chen, K., X. Yun, Z. He, and C. Han, "Synthesis of sparse planar arrays using modified real genetic algorithm," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 1067-1073, 2007.
20. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 397-407, 2004.
21. Khodier, M. M. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum sidelobe level and null control using particle swarm optimization," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2674-2679, March 2005.
22. Karimkashi, S. and A. Kishk, "Invasive weed optimization and its features in electromagnetics," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 1269-1278, 2010.
23. Rocca, P., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Differential evolution as applied to electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, 38-49, 2011.
24. Tolga Altinoz, O. and A. Egemen Yilmaz, "Calculation of optimized parameters of rectangular patch antenna using Gravitional Search Algorithm," International Symposium on Innovations in Intelligent Systems and Applications, 2011.
25. Wang, W.-B., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Application of chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm to pattern synthesis of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 173-189, 2011.
26. Kaur, A. and S. Goyal, "Reduction of side lobe level in linear antenna array using PSOGSA algorithm," International Journal of Enhanced Research in Science Technology & Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 9, 19-23, 2013.
27. Li, W.-T., X.-W. Shi, and Y.-Q. Hei, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 319-332, 2008.
28. Singh, U., D. Singh, and C. Kaur, "Thining of planar circular array antennas using firefly algorithm," Proceeding of 2014 RAECS UIET Panjab University Chandigarh, March 2014.
29. Bayraktar, Z., M. Komurcu, J. A. Bossard, and D. H. Werner, "The wind driven optimization technique and its application in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 5, May 2013.
30. Li, X. and M. Yin, "Optimal synthesis of linear antenna array with composite differential evolution algorithm," Science Iranica, Vol. 19, No. 6, 1780-1787, Sharif University of Technology, December 2012.
31. Shpak, D. J., "A method for the optimal pattern synthesis of linear arrays with prescribed nulls," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, 286-294, 1996.
32. Lozano, M. V., J. A. Rodriguez, and F. Ares, "Recalculating linear array antennas to compensate for failed elements while maintaining fixed nulls," Journal of Electromagnetics Wave and Applications, Vol. 13, No. 3, 397-412, 1999.
33. Vescovo, R., "Null synthesis by phase control for antenna arrays," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, 198-199, 2000.
34. Chung, Y. C. and R. L. Haupt, "Amplitude and phase adaptive nulling with a genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 14, No. 5, 631-649, 2000.
35. Rashedi, E., H. Nezamabadi-Pour, and S. Saryazdi, "GSA: A gravitational search algorithm," Information Sciences, Vol. 179, No. 13, 232-2248, June 13, 2009.
36. Guney, K. and A. Akdagli, "Null steering of linear antenna arrays using a modified Tabu Search Algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 167-182, 2001.
37. Rajo-Iglesias, E. and O. Quevedo-Teruel, "Linear array synthesis using an ant-colony-optimizationbased algorithm," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 2, 70-79, April 2007.
38. Zhang, L., Y. C. Jiao, B. Chen, and F. S. Zhang, "Synthesis of linear aperiodic arrays using a self-adaptive hybrid differential evolution algorithm," Microwave and Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, 1524-1528, 2011.
39. Al-Azza, A. A., A. A. Al-John, and F. J. Harackiewiez, "Spider monkey optimization: A novel technique for antenna optimization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1016-1019, 2016.
40. Khodier, M., "Optimization of antenna arrays using the cuckoo search algorithm," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 6, 458-464, 2013.
41. Liu, D., Q. Feng, W.-B. Wang, and X. Yu, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using inheritance learning particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 205-221, 2011.
42. Goudos, S. K., V. Moysiadou, T. Samaras, K. Siakavara, and J. N. Sahalos, "Application of a comprehensive learning particle swarm optimizer to unequally spaced linear array synthesis with sidelobe level suppression and null control," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 125-129, 2010.