In this paper, two-dimensional (2-D) analytical magnetic field calculations are used to compute crucial quantities of Brushless permanent-magnet (PM) machines with surface-inset PMs. The analytical magnetic field distribution is based on the subdomain technique in which the slotting and tooth-tip effects have been considered. It includes both different magnetization patterns (e.g., radial, parallel and Halbach) and different spatial distribution of winding (e.g., concentrated and distributed with one or more layers). The saturation effect of the magnetic circuit is neglected. In this investigation, the phase and line induced back electromotive force (EMF) waveforms, electromagnetic/cogging/reluctance torques, self-/mutual-inductances and unbalanced magnetic forces (UMFs) have been analytically calculated. The analytical expressions can be used for Brushless machines having surface-inset PMs with any radius-independent magnetization pattern. In this study, two slotted Brushless PM machines with surface-inset PMs have been selected to evaluate the efficacy of the analytical expressions by comparing the results with those obtained by the finite element method (FEM). One of the case studies is a 9-slots/8-poles Brushless DC (BLDC) machine with radially magnetized PMs, non overlapping all teeth wound winding and six-step rectangular armature current waveforms. The other is a 15-slots/4-poles Brushless AC (BLAC) machine with Halbach magnetization PMs, double-layer overlapping winding and sinusoidal armature current waveforms.
1. Zhu, Z. Q., D. Howe, and C. C. Chan, "Improved analytical model for predicting the magnetic field distribution in brushless permanent-magnet machines," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 38, No. 1, 229-238, 2002. doi:10.1109/20.990112
2. Atallah, K., Z. Q. Zhu, D. Howe, and T. S. Birch, "Armature reaction field and winding inductances of slotless permanent-magnet brushless machines," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 34, No. 5, 3737-3744, 1998. doi:10.1109/20.718536
3. Holm, S. R., H. Polinder, and J. A. Ferreira, "Analytical modeling of a permanent-magnet synchronous machine in a flywheel," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 43, No. 5, 1955-1967, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2007.892791
4. Dubas, F., C. Espanet, and A. Miraoui, "Field diffusion equation in high-speed surface mounted permanent magnet motors, parasitic eddy-current losses," Proc. Electromotion, Lausanne, Switzerland, Sep. 2005.
5. Rahideh, A. and T. Korakianitis, "Analytical open-circuit magnetic field distribution of slotless brushless permanent magnet machines with rotor eccentricity," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 12, 4791-4808, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2159987
6. Pfister, P.-D. and Y. Perriard, "Slotless permanent-magnet machines: General analytical magnetic field calculation," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1739-1752, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2113396
7. Zarko, D., D. Ban, and T. A. Lipo, "Analytical calculation of magnetic field distribution in the slotted air gap of a surface permanent-magnet motor using complex relative air-gap permeance," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 42, No. 7, 1828-1837, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2006.874594
8. Liu, Z. J. and J. T. Li, "Analytical solution of air-gap field in permanent-magnet motors taking into account the effect of pole transition over slots," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 43, No. 10, 3872-3883, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2007.903417
9. Liu, Z. J. and J. T. Li, "Accurate prediction of magnetic field and magnetic forces in permanent magnet motors using an analytical solution," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 23, No. 3, 717-726, 2008. doi:10.1109/TEC.2008.926034
10. Liu, Z. J., J. T. Li, and Q. Jiang, "An improved analytical solution for predicting magnetic forces in permanent magnet motors," Journal of Appl. Phys., Vol. 103, No. 7, 07F135, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2859486
11. Boughrara, K., B. L. Chikouche, R. Ibtiouen, D. Zarko, and O. Touhami, "Analytical model of slotted air-gap surface mounted permanent-magnet synchronous motor with magnet bars magnetized in the shifting direction," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 2, 747-758, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.2008751
12. Dubas, F. and C. Espanet, "Analytical solution of the magnetic field in permanent-magnet motors taking into account slotting effect: No-load vector potential and flux density calculation," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, 2097-2109, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2013245
13. Dubas, F., A. Sari, J. M. Kauffmann, and C. Espanet, "Cogging torque evaluation through a magnetic field analytical computation in permanent magnet motors," Proc. ICEMS, Tokyo, Japan, Nov. 2009.
14. Dubas, F. and C. Espanet, "Semi-analytical Solution of 2-D rotor eddy-current losses due to the slotting effect in SMPMM," Proc. COMPUMAG, Florianopolis, Brasil, Nov. 2009.
15. Zhu, Z. Q., L. J. Wu, and Z. P. Xia, "An accurate subdomain model for magnetic field computation in slotted surface mounted permanent magnet machines," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 4, 1100-1115, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2038153
16. Wu, L. J., Z. Q. Zhu, D. Staton, M. Popescu, and D. Hawkins, "An improved subdomain model for predicting magnetic field of surface-mounted permanent-magnet machines accounting for toothtips," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1693-1704, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2116031
17. Amara, Y., P. Reghem, and G. Barakat, "Analytical prediction of eddy-current loss in armature windings of permanent magnet brushless AC machines," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 8, 3481-3484, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2046885
18. Lubin, T., S. Mezani, and A. Rezzoug, "2-D exact analytical model for surface-mounted permanent magnet motors with semi-closed slots," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 2, 479-492, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2095874
19. Bellara, A., Y. Amara, G. Barakat, and B. Dakyo, "Two-dimensional exact analytical solution of armature reaction field in slotted surface mounted PM radial flux synchronous machines," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 10, 4534-4538, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2021527
20. Wu, L. J., Z. Q. Zhu, D. Staton, M. Popescu, and D. Hawkins, "Subdomain model for predicting armature reaction field of surface-mounted permanent-magnet machines accounting for tooth-tips," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 4, 812-822, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2104969
21. Rahideh, A. and T. Korakianitis, "Subdomain analytical magnetic field prediction of slotted brushless machines with surface mounted magnets," Inter. Review of Elect. Eng., Vol. 7, No. 2, 3891-3909, 2012.
22. Gysen, B. L. J., K. J. Meessen, J. J. H. Paulides, and E. A. Lomonova, "General formulation of the electromagnetic field distribution in machines and devices using fourier analysis," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 1, 39-52, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2027598
23. Boughrara, K., D. Zarko, R. Ibtiouen, O. Touhami, and A. Rezzoug, "Magnetic field analysis of inset and surface-mounted permanent-magnet synchronous motors using schwarz-christoffel transformation," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 8, 3166-3178, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2016559
24. Rahideh, A. and T. Korakianitisv, "Analytical magnetic field distribution of slotless brushless machines with inset permanent magnets," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1763-1774, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2110658
25. Rahideh, A. and T. Korakianitis, "Analytical, armature reaction field distribution of slotless brushless machines with inset permanent magnets," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 7, 2178-2191, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2183608
26. Zhu, Z. Q., D. Howe, and Z. P. Xia, "Prediction of open-circuit airgap field distribution in brushless machines having an inset permanent magnet rotor topology," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 30, No. 1, 98-107, 1994. doi:10.1109/20.272521
27. Rahideh, A., M. Mardaneh, and T. Korakianitis, "Analytical 2-D calculations of torque, inductance, and back-EMF for brushless slotless machines with surface inset magnets," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 8, 4873-4884, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2013.2242087
28. Dubas, F. and A. Rahideh, "2-D analytical PM eddy-current loss calculations in slotless PMSM equipped with surface-inset magnets," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 50, No. 3, Art. ID 6300320, 2014. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2013.2285525
29. Jian, L., K. T. Chau, Y. Gong, C. Yu, and W. Li, "Analytical calculation of magnetic field in surface-inset permanent-magnet motors," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 10, 4688-4691, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2024891
30. Lubin, T., S. Mezani, and A. Rezzoug, "Two-dimensional analytical calculation of magnetic field and electromagnetic torque for surface-inset permanent magnet motors," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 6, 2080-2091, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2180918
31. Rahideh, A. and T. Korakianitis, "Analytical magnetic field calculation of slotted brushless PM machines with surface inset magnets," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 10, 2633-2649, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2200691
32. Zarko, D., D. Ban, and T. A. Lipo, "Analytical solution for cogging torque in surface permanentmagnet motors using conformal mapping," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 44, No. 1, 52-65, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2007.908652
33. Zhu, Z. Q., D. Ishak, D. Howe, and J. Chen, "Unbalanced magnetic forces in permanent-magnet brushless machines with diametrically asymmetric phase windings," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 43, No. 6, 1544-1553, 2007. doi:10.1109/TIA.2007.908158
34. Liang, Y., X. Bian, L. Yang, and L. Wu, "Numerical calculation of circulating current losses in stator transposition bar of large hydro-generator," IET Sci., Meas. & Technol., Vol. 9, No. 4, 485-491, 2015.
35. Mohammed, O. A., S. Liu, and Z. Liu, "FE-based physical phase variable model of PM synchronous machines under stator winding short circuit faults," IET Sci., Meas. & Technol., Vol. 1, No. 1, 12-16, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-smt:20060030
36. Clemens, M., J. Lang, D. Teleaga, and G. Wimmer, "Transient 3D magnetic field simulations with combined space and time mesh adaptivity for lowest order Whitney finite element formulations," IET Sci., Meas. & Technol., Vol. 3, No. 6, 377-383, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-smt.2008.0089
37. Dubas, F. and K. Boughrara, "New scientific contribution on the 2-D subdomain technique in cartesian coordinates: Taking into account of iron parts," Preprints (MDPI: Math. Comput. Appl.), 2016090106 (doi: 10.20944/preprints201609.0106.v1), 2016.