Metallic pipelines have attendant problems of alternating current (AC) assisted corrosion when installed in the utility corridor with high voltage transmission lines. Research studies in the past and recent years have shown that this corrosion is a primary function of the AC density through the pipe coating defect. While several other AC corrosion risk assessment indices have been proposed, the AC density is regarded as a valuable parameter in assessing pipeline corrosion risk due to AC interference. Also, there exists a threshold value which, if exceeded, guarantees the possibility of pipeline corrosion damage. However, for buried pipelines, monitoring these AC corrosion assessment indices is a major challenge. Therefore, to avoid severe corrosion damage to such pipelines, a corrosion assessment for evaluating the corrosion risk of the pipelines due to AC interference is presented in this paper. The assessment was demonstrated on a buried pipeline in one of the Rand Water sites, South Africa where AC interference is frequent. The overall simulation results yield useful information which may be essential for pipeline operators, most especially Rand Water, South Africa and corrosion engineers for AC corrosion assessment of metallic pipelines installed near transmission lines. The analysis presented in this paper may also be used for the evaluation of a safe position for installing new pipelines near existing power lines right-of-way.
2. Ponnle, A. A., K. B. Adedeji, B. T. Abe, and A. A. Jimoh, "Variation in phase shift of multi-circuits HVTLs phase conductor arrangements on the induced voltage on buried pipeline: A theoretical study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 69, 75-86, 2016.
3. Ponnle, A. A., K. B. Adedeji, B. T. Abe, and A. A. Jimoh, "Variation in phase shift of phase arrangements on magnetic field underneath overhead double-circuit HVTLs: Field distribution and polarization study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 56, 157-167, 2017.
4. Cotton, I., C. Charalambous, P. Aylott, and P. Ernst, "Stray current control in DC mass transit systems," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 54, No. 2, 722-730, 2005.
5. Ogunsola, A., A. Mariscotti, and L. Sandrolini, "Estimation of stray current from a DC-electrified railway and impressed potential on a buried pipe," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 27, No. 4, 2238-2246, 2012.
6. Ouadah, M. H., O. Touhami, R. Ibtiouen, and M. Zergoug, "Method for diagnosis of the effect of AC on the X70 pipeline due to an inductive coupling caused by HVPL," IET Science, Measurement & Technology, Vol. 11, No. 6, 766-772, 2017.
7. Ouadah, M., O. Touhami, R. Ibtiouen, M. F. Benlamnouar, and M. Zergoug, "Corrosive effects of the electromagnetic induction caused by the high voltage power lines on buried X70 steel pipelines," InternatioJournal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 91, 34-41, 2017.
8. Funk, D., W. Prinz, and H. Schoneich, "Investigations of AC corrosion in cathodically protected pipes," Ochrona Przed Korozja, Vol. 36, No. 10, 225-228, 1993.
9. Xu, L., X. Su, Z. Yin, Y. Tang, and Y. Cheng, "Development of a real-time AC/DC data acquisition technique for studies of AC corrosion of pipelines," Corrosion Science, Vol. 61, 215-223, 2012.
10. Jiang, Z., Y. Du, M. Lu, Y. Zhang, D. Tang, and L. Dong, "New findings on the factors accelerating AC corrosion of buried pipeline," Corrosion Science, Vol. 81, 1-10, 2014.
11. Christoforidis, G. C., D. P. Labridis, and P. S. Dokopoulos, "Inductive interference calculation on imperfect coated pipelines due to nearby faulted parallel transmission lines," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 66, 139-148, 2003.
12. Qi, L., H. Yuan, Y. Wu, and X. Cui, "Calculation of overvoltage on nearby underground metal pipeline due to the lightning strike on UHV AC transmission line tower," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 94, 54-63, 2013.
13. Bond, W. R., "The effect of overhead AC power line paralleling ductile iron pipelines," Ductile Iron Pipe Research Association, 1-8, Birmingham, 1997.
14. NACE RP0177, "Mitigation of alternating current and lightning effects on metallic structures and corrosion control systems," NACE International Standard Practice, Houston, Texas, 2007.
15. CEN/TS12954, "Cathodic protection of buried or immersed metallic structures: General principles and application for pipelines," European Technical Specification, Germany, 2001.
16. Schoneich, H. G., "Discussion of criteria to assess the alternating current corrosion risk of cathodically protected pipelines," Proceedings of the 2004 CEOCOR Congress, Dresden, Germany, Jun. 15–16, 2004.
17. Riegel, K., "Effect of cathodic protection levels and defect geometry on the AC corrosion on pipelines," Proceedings of the CEOCOR Congress, Malaga, Spain, May 9–11, 2007.
18. Buchler, M., C. Voute, and H. Schoneich, "The effect of variation of ac interference over time on the corrosion of cathodically protected pipelines," Proceedings of the 2009 CEOCOR Congress, 13-21, Vienna, Austria, May 26–29, 2009.
19. Micu, D. D., G. C. Christoforidis, and L. Czumbil, "AC interference on pipelines due to double circuit power lines: A detailed study," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 103, 1-8, 2013.
20. CEN/TS15280, "Evaluation of AC corrosion likelihood of buried pipelines-application to cathodically protected pipelines," Technical Specification, CEN-European Committee for Standardization, 2006.
21. Philip, S. D., "Overview of HVAC transmission line interference issues on buried pipelines," Proceedings of the NACE Northern Area Western Conference, Alberta, Canada, Feb. 15–18, 2010.
22. Nelson, J. P., "Power systems in close proximity to pipelines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 1A-22, No. 1, 435-441, 1986.
23. Djekidel, R. and D. Mahi, "Calculation and analysis of inductive coupling effects for HV transmission lines on aerial pipelines," Przegld Elektrotechniczny, Vol. 90, No. 9, 151-156, 2014.
24. Christoforidis, G. C., D. P. Labridis, and P. S. Dokopoulos, "A hybrid method for calculating the inductive interference caused by faulted power lines to nearby buried pipelines," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 20, No. 2, 1465-1473, 2005.
25. Satsios, K. J., D. P. Labridis, and P. S. Dokopoulos, "Finite-element computation of field and eddy currents of a system consisting of a power transmission line above conductors buried in nonhomogeneous earth," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 13, No. 3, 876-882, 1998.
26. Popoli, A., A. Cristofolini, L. Sandrolini, B. T. Abe, and A. Jimoh, "Assessment of AC interference caused by transmission lines on buried metallic pipelines using FEM," 2017 ACES Symposium, Florence, Italy, Mar. 26–30, 2017.
27. Carson, J. R., "Wave propagation in overhead wires with ground return," Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 5, 539-554, 1926.
28. Pollaczek, F., "Sur le champ produit par un conducteur simple infiniment long parcouru par un courant alternatif," Revue Gen, Elec., Vol. 29, 851-867, 1931.
29. Wedepohl, L. M. and D. J.Wilcox, "Transient analysis of underground power-transmission systems. System model and wave-propagation characteristics," Proceedings of the IEE, Vol. 120, No. 2, 253-260, 1971.
30. Lucca, G., "Mutual impedance between an overhead and a buried line with earth return," Proceedings of the 9th IET International Conference on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 80-86, Manchester, UK, Sep. 5–7, 1994.
31. Yoshihiro, B., A. Ametani, T. Yoneda, and N. Nagaoka, "An investigation of earth return impedance between overhead and underground conductors and its approximation," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 5, No. 3, 860-867, 2009.
32. CIGRE, "Guide on the influence of high voltage AC power systems on metallic pipelines," CIGRE Working Group 36.02 Technical Brochure, No. 095, 1995.
33. Eskom, Guideline on the Electrical Co-ordination of Pipeline and Power Lines, Paper No. 240-66418968, 25–73, South Africa, 2015.
34. Lietai, Y., Techniques for Corrosion Monitoring, Wood Head Publishing Limited, Abington Hall, Abington, Cambridge CB21 6AH, England, 2008.
35. Dobrzanski, L. A., Z. Brytan, A. M. Grande, and M. Rosso, "Corrosion resistance of sintered duplex stainless steel evaluated by electrochemical method," Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 1, 38-45, 2006.