We have simulated ionospheric disturbances generated by the buoyancy and electrodynamic effects in a two-dimensional configuration in the vertical plane in the ionospheric F region using a simple two-dimensional mathematical model for internal gravity waves propagating in the lower atmosphere, and we have investigated the characteristics (e.g. buyoancy frequency, wavenumber, wavelength, speed) of the ionospheric disturbances. We find that electrohydrodynamic effects are mainly responsible for small scale non-travelling ionospheric disturbances, while magnetohydrodynamic effects are responsible for travelling ionospheric disturbances, including small scale travelling ionospheric disturbances (SSTIDs), medium scale travelling ionospheric disturbances (MSTIDs) and large scale travelling ionospheric disturbances (LSTIDs). Our results are in agreement with the results obtained from observations.
2. Afraimovich, E. L., E. I. Astafieva, and S. V. Voyeikov, "Generation of ionospheric irregularities upon propagation of solitary internal gravity wave during the major magnetic storm of October 29–31, 2003," Radiophys. Quantum Electronics, Vol. 49, No. 2, 79-92, 2006.
3. Cannon, P., M. Angling, L. Barclay, C. Curry, C. Dyer, R. Edwards, G. Greene, M. Hapgood, R. Horne, D. Jackson, C. Mitchell, J. Owen, A. Richards, C. Rogers, K. Ryden, S. Saunders, M. Sweeting, R. Tanner, A. Thomson, and C. Underwood, Extreme Space Weather: Impacts on Engineered Systems and Infrastructure, Royal Academy of Engineering, London, 2013.
4. Cheng, D. K., Field and Wave Electromagnetics, Addison-Wesley Publish Comp. Inc, 1992.
5. Danilov, A. D. and J. Lastovicka, "Effects of geomagnetic storms on the ionosphere and atmosphere," Int. J. Geomagn. Aeron., Vol. 2, No. 3, 209-224, 2001.
6. Falconer, D., A. F. Barghouty, I. Khazanov, and R. Moore, "A tool for empirical forecasting of major flares, coronal mass ejections, and solar particle events from a proxy of active-region free magnetic energy," Space Weather, Vol. 9, No. 4, S04003, 2011.
7. Figueiredo, C. A. O. B., C. M. Wrasse, H. Takahashi, Y. Otsuka, K. Shiokawa, and D. Barros, "Large-scale traveling ionospheric disturbances observed by GPS dTEC maps over North and South America on Saint Patrick’s Day storm in 2015," JGR Space Phys., Vol. 122, No. 4, 4755-4763, 2017.
8. Freidberg, J. P., Ideal MHD, Cambridge University Press, 2014.
9. Harris, T. J., M. A. Cervera, and D. H. Meehan, "SpICE: A program to study small–scale disturbances in the ionosphere," J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics, Vol. 117, A06321, 2012.
10. Holzworth, R. H., M. C. Kelley, C. L. Siefring, L. C. Hale, and J. D. Mitchell, "Electrical measurements in the atmosphere and the ionosphere over an active thunderstorm, 2. Direct current electric fields and conductivity," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 19, No. A10, 9824-9830, 1985.
11. Hunsucker, R. D., "Atmospheric gravity waves generated in the high atitude ionosphere: A review," Rev. Geophys., Vol. 20, 293-315, 1982.
12. Hunsucker, R. D. and J. K. Hargreaves, The High-latitude Ionosphere and Its Effects on Radio Propagation, Cambridge University Press, 2003.
13. Kelley, M. C. and C. A. Miller, "Electrodynamics of midlatitude spread F, 3. Electrohydrodynamic waves? A new look at the role of electric fields in thermospheric wave dynamics," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 102, 11539-11547, 1997.
14. King, J. W., "Sun-weather relationships," Aeronaut. Astronaut., Vol. 13, No. 4, 10-19, 1975.
15. Kulsrud, R. M., Plasma Physics for Astrophysics, Princeton University Press, 2004.
16. Kundu, P. K. and I. M. Cohen, Fluid Mechanics, Academic Press, New York, 2004.
17. Lastovicka, J., "Effects of geomagnetic storms-different morphology and origin in the upper middle atmosphere and troposphere," Stud. Geophys. Geod., Vol. 41, 73-81, 1997.
18. Lastovicka, J. and A. Bourdillon, "Ionospheric effects on terrestrial communications: Working Group 3 overview," Ann. Geophys., Vol. 47, 1269-1277, 2004.
19. Mansilla, G. A. and M. Zossi De Artigas, "Evidence of geomagnetic storm effects in the lower atmosphere: A case study," Stud. Geophys. Geod., Vol. 54, 487-494, 2010.
20. Nijimbere, V., Ionospheric gravity wave interactions and their representation in terms of stochastic partial differential equations, Ph.D. Thesis, Carleton University, 2014, doi: 10.22215/etd/2014-10245.
21. Nijimbere, V., "Implementation of a Wiener chaos expansion method for the numerical solution of the stochastic generalized Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation driven by Brownian motion forcing," Journal of Advances in Applied Mathematics, Vol. 4, No. 4, 119-142, 2019, doi: 10.22606/jaam.2019.44001.
22. Nijimbere, V. and L. J. Campbell, "Electromagnetic field solutions in an isotropic medium with weakly-random fluctuations in time and some applications in the electrodynamics of the ionosphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 83, 77-92, 2019.
23. Nijimbere, V. and L. J. Campbell, "A nonlinear time-dependent radiation condition for simulations of internal gravity waves in geophysical fluids," Appl. Numer. Math., Vol. 110, 75-92, 2016.
24. Parks, G. K., Physics of Space Plasma, 2nd Ed., Westview Press, 2005.
25. Prikryl, P., S. Hawlitschka, U.-P. Hoppe, S. P. Cannon, and T. P. Bernhard, Characterizing the ionosphere, Final report of task group IST-051, RTO/NATO, 2009.
26. Ratcliffe, J. A., An Introduction to the Ionosphere and Magnetosphere, Cambridge University Press, 1972.
27. Song, Q., F. Ding, W. Wan, B. Ning, and B. Zhao, "Monitoring traveling ionospheric disturbances using GPS network around China during the geomagnetic storm on 28 May 2011," Science China Earth Sci., Vol. 56, 718-726, 2013.
28. Spiegel, E. A. and G. Veronis, "On the Boussinesq approximation for compressible fluid," Astrophys. J., Vol. 6, 442-447, 1960.
29. Sutherland, B. R., Internal Gravity Waves, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
30. Torta, J. M., M. Marsal, and M. Quintana, "Assessing the hazard from geomagnetically induced currents to the entire high-voltage power network in Spain," Earth, Planets and Space, Vol. 66, No. 87, 2014.
31. Wang, M., F. Ding, W. Wan, B. Ning, and B. Zhao, "Monitoring global traveling ionospheric disturbances using the worldwide GPS network during the October 2003 storms," Earth Planets Space, Vol. 59, 407-419, 2007.
32. Zastawniak, T. and Z. Brzezniak, Basic Stochastic Processes, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2003.
33. Zhang, S. R., J. M. Holt, P. J. Erickson, L. P. Goncharenko, M. J. Nicolls, M. McCready, and J. Kelley, "Ionospheric ion temperature climate and upper atmospheric long-term cooling," J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics, Vol. 121, 8951-8968, 2016.