In this paper, a new super-resolution and highly stable DOA estimation technique of coherent sources is introduced. Furthermore, the proposed technique is applied to the data collected from the AWR1243 mm-wave 76-81 GHz frequency modulated continuous wave (FMCW) radar to estimate the DOAs of real targets. A virtual antenna array is proposed to increase the array aperture size and the dimension of the data covariance matrix which effectively helps in de-correlating the received signals and in increasing the number of detectable sources and hence improving the detection resolution. Moreover, a significant improvement in the DOA estimation capability is achieved by handling the frequency domain of the received signals instead of their time-domain representations. That is because the signal to noise ratio (SNR) is increased by a multiplication factor when it is transformed using FFT which acts as a filter for the noise. The simulation results proved the superiority of the proposed technique compared to the state of the arts in this field, especially at low SNR that approaches -35 dB.
1. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, 276-280, Mar. 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143830
2. Zhang, T., "Resarch of modified MUSIC algorithm in DOA estimation of smart antenna," Journal of Shannxi University of Science and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 1, 97-101, 2009.
3. Yan, F., M. Jin, and X. Qiao, "Low-complexity DOA estimation based on compressed MUSIC and its performance analysis," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 61, 1915-1930, 2013. doi:10.1109/TSP.2013.2243442
4. Gardner, W. A., "Simplification of MUSIC and ESPRIT by exploitation of cyclostationarity," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 76, 845-847, 1988. doi:10.1109/5.7152
5. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, 984-995, Jul. 1989.
6. Cui, H., Y. Qian, and D. Li, "Direction of arrival research on extracting signal subspace of ESPRIT algorithm," Compute Engineering and Design, Vol. 30, No. 13, 3057-3059, 2009.
7. Rao, B. D. and K. V. S. Hari, "Effect of spatial smoothing on the performance of MUSIC and the minimum-norm method," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 137, No. 6, 449-458, Dec. 1990.
8. Williams, R., S. Prasad, and A. K. Mahalanbis, "An improved spatial smoothing technique for bearing estimation in a multipath environment," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 36, No. 4, 425-432, Apr. 1988. doi:10.1109/29.1546
9. Duan, H., D. Huang, L. Zhou, H. Chen, and J. Shi, "A decorrelation algorithm based on virtual array extension," 7th International ICST Conference on Communications and Networking in China (CHINACOM), 348-351, 2012.
10. Kim, B., S. Kim, and J. Lee, "A novel DFT-based DOA estimation by a virtual array extension using simple multiplications for FMCW radar," Sensors, Vol. 18, 1560, 2018. doi:10.3390/s18051560
11. Zhang, J., D. Huang, P. Huang, and J. Kang, "Estimation DOAs of the coherent sources based on SVD," 2nd International Conference on Signal Processing Systems (ICSPS), Vol. 3, 174-177, 2010.
12. Zhou, L., D. Huang, H. Duan, and Y. Chen, "A modified ESPRIT algorithm based on a new SVD method for coherent signals," Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation, 75-78, Shenzhen, China, Jun. 2011.
13. El-Barbary, K. A., T. S. Mohamed, and M. S.Melad, "High resolution direction of arrival estimation (coherent signal source DOA estimation)," International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA), Vol. 3, No. 1, 132-139, 2013.
14. El Dosouky, B., A. H. Hussein Abdullah, and S. Khamis, "A new high-resolution and stable MV-SVD algorithm for coherent signals detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 35, 163-171, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERM14021603
15. Wang, P., Y. Kong, X. He, M. Zhang, and X. Tan, "An improved squirrel search algorithm for maximum likelihood DOA estimation and application for MEMS vector hydrophone array," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 118343-118358, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2936823
16. Reddy, V. V., M. Mubeen, and B. P. Ng, "Reduced-complexity super-resolution DOA estimation with unknown number of sources," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 22, No. 6, 772-776, Jun. 2015. doi:10.1109/LSP.2014.2368987
17. Ying, Z. and B. P. Ng, "Music-like DOA estimation without estimating the number of sources," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 58, No. 3, 1668-1676, 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2037074
18. Hussein Abdullah, A. H., "A new GE/PSO antenna arrays synthesis technique and its application to DOA estimation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 56, 43-52, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17010706
19. Hussein, A. H., H. H. Abdullah, A. M. Salem, S. Khamis, and M. Nasr, "Optimum design of linear antenna arrays using a hybrid MoM/GA algorithm," IEEE, Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1232-1235, Oct. 2011.
20. Rangayyan, R. M., Biomedical Signal Analysis, A Case-study Approach, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2002.
21. Johnson, D. H., Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering I, Rice University, Houston, Connexions, 2013.
22. Pillai, S. U. and B. H. Kwon, "Forward-backward and spatial smoothing techniques for the coherent signal identification," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 1, 8-15, 1989. doi:10.1109/29.17496
23. Wang, J., H. Xu, G. J. T. Leus, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Experimental assessment of the coarray concept for DoA estimation in wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 6, 3064-3075, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2819824
24. Paaso, H., et al., "DoA estimation using compact CRLH leaky-wave antennas: Novel algorithms and measured performance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 9, 4836-4849, Sep. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2724584
25. Amjadi, S. M. and K. Sarabandi, "Super resolution DoA estimation with circular arrays using signal segregation algorithm in conjunction with a nulls-synthesis method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 6, 3108-3121, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2823732