This article proposes a new type of variable-leakage-flux flux-intensifying permanent magnet (VLF-FIPM) machine and performs optimization and multi-physical field analysis on it. By designing leakage flux bypass and various magnetic barriers, the proposed machine has the variable-leakage-flux characteristic and reverse saliency characteristic of Ld>Lq. Firstly, the evolution process from the conventional interior permanent magnet (IPM) machine to the proposed machine is explained. Secondly, the output torque, torque ripple, core loss and reverse saliency ratio of the proposed machine are optimized by multi-objective comprehensive optimization method. Then the electromagnetic performance of the optimal machine is compared with that of the initial machine and conventional IPM machine. Finally, the temperature field and stress field of the optimal machine in different states are analyzed in detail. Both theoretical results and simulation analysis verify the effectiveness of the proposed design idea and optimization of the VLF-FIPM machine.
2. Pellegrino, G., A. Vagati, P. Guglielmi, and B. Boazzo, "Performance comparison between surface-mounted and interior PM motor drives for electric vehicle application," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 2, 803-811, 2012.
3. Buyukdegirmenci, V. T., A. M. Bazzi, and P. T. Krein, "Evaluation of induction and permanent-magnet synchronous machines using drive-cycle energy and loss minimization in traction applications," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 50, No. 1, 395-403, 2014.
4. Liu, X., H. Chen, J. Zhao, and A. Belahcen, "Research on the performances and parameters of interior PMSM used for electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 6, 3533-3545, 2016.
5. Huynh, T. A. and M. Hsieh, "Comparative study of PM-assisted SynRM and IPMSM on constant power speed range for EV applications," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 11, 1-6, 2017.
6. Liu, Y., Z. Zhang, C. Wang, W. Geng, and H. Wang, "Electromagnetic performance analysis of a new hybrid excitation synchronous machine for electric vehicle applications," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 54, No. 11, 1-4, 2018.
7. Ding, W., S. Yang, and Y. Hu, "Development and investigation on segmented-stator hybrid-excitation switched reluctance machines with different rotor pole numbers," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 65, No. 5, 3784-3794, 2018.
8. Liu, X., M. Wang, D. Chen, and Q. Xie, "A variable flux axial field permanent magnet synchronous machine with a novel mechanical device," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 11, 1-4, 2015.
9. Sun, T., X. Liu, Y. Zou, C. Huang, and J. Liang, "Design and optimization of a mechanical variable-leakage-flux interior permanent magnet machinewith auxiliary rotatable magnetic poles," CES Transactions on Electrical Machines and Systems, Vol. 5, No. 1, 21-29, 2021.
10. Kato, T., M. Minowa, H. Hijikata, K. Akatsu, and R. D. Lorenz, "Design methodology for variable leakage flux IPM for automobile traction drives," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 51, No. 5, 3811-3821, 2015.
11. Athavale, A., T. Fukushige, T. Kato, C. Yu, and R. D. Lorenz, "Variable leakage flux IPMSMs for reduced losses over a driving cycle while maintaining suitable attributes for high-frequency injection-based rotor position self-sensing," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 52, No. 1, 234-241, 2016.
12. Fan, W., X. Zhu, L. Quan, W. Wu, L. Xu, and Y. Liu, "Flux-weakening capability enhancement design and optimization of a variable leakage flux multilayer barrier PM motor," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 68, No. 9, 7814-7825, 2021.
13. Limsuwan, N., T. Kato, K. Akatsu, and R. D. Lorenz, "Design and evaluation of a variable-flux flux-intensifying interior permanent-magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 50, No. 2, 1015-1024, 2014.
14. Zhu, X., W. Wu, S. Yang, Z. Xiang, and L. Quan, "Comparative design and analysis of new type of flux-intensifying interior permanent magnet motors with different Q-axis rotor flux barriers," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 33, No. 4, 2260-2269, 2018.
15. Zhu, X., J. Huang, L. Quan, Z. Xiang, and B. Shi, "Comprehensive sensitivity analysis and multiobjective optimization research of permanent magnet flux-intensifying motors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 66, No. 4, 2613-2627, 2019.
16. Sun, X., Z. Shi, G. Lei, Y. Guo, and J. Zhu, "Multi-objective design optimization of an IPMSM based on multilevel strategy," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 68, No. 1, 139-148, 2021.
17. Zhou, X., X. Zhu, W. Wu, Z. Xiang, Y. Liu, and L. Quan, "Multi-objective optimization design of variable-saliency-ratio PM motor considering driving cycles," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 68, No. 8, 6516-6526, 2021.
18. Du, L., X. Liu, J. Fu, J. Liang, and C. Huang, "Design and optimization of reverse salient permanent magnet synchronous motor based on controllable leakage flux," CES Transactions on Electrical Machines and Systems, Vol. 5, No. 2, 163-173, 2021.
19. Si, J., S. Zhao, H. Feng, Y. Hu, and W. Cao, "Analysis of temperature field for a surface-mounted and interior permanent magnet synchronous motor adopting magnetic-thermal coupling method," CES Transactions on Electrical Machines and Systems, Vol. 2, No. 1, 166-174, 2018.