The advent of space exploration and space warfare along with the deployment of advanced missiles, unmanned aircraft systems, and modern nuclear reactors has reignited the field of high temperature antennas. In this context, this article surveys the field of antennas that operate under harsh environments that are often characterized by high temperature. In this context, this article surveys the field of high temperature antennas. The choice of the substrate and the conductor for antenna implementation are discussed with emphasis on their thermal and electrical properties. Further, the different fabrication techniques to realize the antenna are discussed. The performance comparison of the different types of high temperature antennas are presented. Finally, the future prospects and inherent challenges in advancing research on antennas for extreme environments are detailed. The article concludes with insights into the new developments in the field of flexible antennas operable in hostile conditions.
2. Lu, F., et al., "Highly sensitive reentrant cavity-microstrip patch antenna integrated wireless passive pressure sensor for high temperature applications," J. Sensors, Vol. 2017, 1-10, 2017.
3. Tchafa, F. E. M., "Wireless antenna sensors for boiler condition monitoring,", 2018.
4. Rani, S., A. Marwaha, and S. Marwaha, "Investigation of substrate materials for graphene oxide absorber loaded antenna array increased ambient temperature," Photonic Netw. Commun., Vol. 40, No. 2, 94-102, 2020.
5. Yu, Y., B. Han, and F. Xia, "PDC-SiAlCN ceramic based wireless passive temperature sensors using integrated resonator/antenna up to 1100◦C," Sens. Rev., Vol. 40, No. 1, 62-70, 2020.
6. Zhao, C., X. Li, C. Sun, Y. Liu, and W. Ouyang, "Design of point focusing lens antenna for high-temperature plasma diagnosis," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1335-1340, 2020.
7. Kirtania, S. G., et al., "Flexible antennas: A review," Micromachines 2020, Vol. 11, No. 9, 847, Sep. 2020.
8. Sanders, J. W., J. Yao, and H. Huang, "Microstrip patch antenna temperature sensor," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 15, No. 9, 5312-5319, Sep. 2015.
9. Starko-Bowes, R., et al., "Higherature polaritons in ceramic nanotube antennas," Nano Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 8565-8571, 2019.
10. Watson, J. and G. Castro, "A review of high-temperature electronics technology and applications," Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, Vol. 26, No. 12, 9226-9235, 2015.
11. Sun, C., Z. Zhang, and W. Ouyang, "All metal focusing transmitarray antenna for high-temperature plasma diagnosis," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 39727-39732, 2021.
12. Di Torino, P., et al., Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC): IEEE APWC'19, 9th Ed., 2019.
13. Li, C. H., Y. C. Chen, T. L. Lin, and C. C. Kuoa, "A high-quality factor dielectric resonator antenna for use in a wireless high-temperature sensor," Ferroelectr. Lett. Sect., Vol. 47, No. 1-3, 40-49, 2020.
14. Chen, Y. C. and Y. C. You, "La(Mg0.5-xMexSn0.5)O3-based (Me = Ca, Sr) dielectric resonator antenna for use in a wireless high-temperature sensor," J. Ceram. Soc. Japan, Vol. 127, No. 9, 617-626, 2019.
15. Mo, L., et al., "Silver nanoparticles based ink with moderate sintering in flexible and printed electronics," Int. J. Mol. Sci., Vol. 20, No. 9, May 2019.
16. Mbanya Tchafa, F., J. Yao, and H. Huang, "Wireless interrogation of a high temperature antenna sensor without electronics," Proceedings of the ASME 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Vol. 9, Feb. 2017.
17. Omi, A. I., R. Islam, M. A. Maktoomi, C. Zakzewski, and P. Sekhar, "A novel analytical design technique for a wideband wilkinson power divider using dual-band topology," Sensors, Vol. 21, No. 19, 6330, Sep. 2021.
18. Omi, A. I., et al., "A new analytical design methodology for a three-section wideband Wilkinson power divider," Electron., Vol. 10, No. 19, 2332, Sep. 2021.
19. Islam, R., A. I. Omi, M. A. Maktoomi, C. Zakzewski, and P. Sekhar, "A new coupled-line based dual-band branch-line coupler with port-extensions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 105, 21-30, 2021.
20. Sagar, M. S. I., et al., "Application of machine learning in electromagnetics: Mini-review," Electron., Vol. 10, No. 22, 2752, Nov. 2021.
21. Geisheimer, J., S. Billington, D. Burgess, and G. Hopkins, Microstrip patch antenna for high temperature environments, US20070024505A1, Feb. 2006.
22. Wang, Y., Y. Jia, Q. Chen, and Y. Wang, "A passive wireless temperature sensor for harsh environment applications," Sensors, Vol. 8, No. 12, 7982-7995, 2008.
23. Liu, S., "Wireless temperature measurement system and methods of making and using same," Therm. Sensors Based Transistors, Sensors Actua Tors, Vol. 1, No. 2, 54-61, May 2010.
24. Kirtania, S. G., M. A. Riheen, S. U. Kim, K. Sekhar, A. Wisniewska, and P. K. Sekhar, "Inkjet printing on a new flexible ceramic substrate for Internet of Things (IoT) applications," Micromachines, Vol. 11, No. 9, 2020.