A novel uni-planar electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) structure incorporated with inter-digital capacitor and meandered line inductor (ML-ID-EBG) is presented, this novel structure significantly enlarges the fringe capacitance to reduce sized cells, as well as increases the equivalent inductance to widen the relative bandwidth. Its design is detailed in this paper, and several experimental results are presented, the improved properties of the proposed ML-ID-EBG are examined, as compared with a conventional UC-EBG and a novel EBG incorporated only with inter-digital capacitor (ID-EBG).
2. Yang, H. Y. D., R. Kim, and D. R. Jackson, "Design consideration for modeless integrated circuit substrates using planar periodic patches," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, 2233-2239, Dec. 2000.
3. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovicth, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces in a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.
4. Qian, Y., R. Coccioli, D. Sievenpiper, V. Radisic, E. Yablonovitch, and T. Itoh, "Microstrip patch antenna using novel photonic bandgap structures," Microwave J., Vol. 42, No. 1, 66-76, Jan. 1999.
5. Yang, F., K. Ma, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A uniplanar compact photonic-bandgap (UC-EBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, 1509-1514, Nov. 1999.
6. Yang, F., K. Ma, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A novel TEM waveguide using uniplanar compact photonic-bandgap (UC-EBG) structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, 2092-2097, Nov. 1999.
7. Coccioli, R., F. R. Yang, K. Ma, and T. Itoh, "Aperture-coupled patch antenna on UC-EBG substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, 2123-2130, Nov. 1999.
8. Gary, D., "Inter-digital capacitors and their application to lumped-element microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech. , Vol. 18, 1028-1033, Dec. 1970.